Leaf15
Delivery Date: 09 Jun 2018

Re: Kia Niro BEV

Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:35 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
2016 IONIQ/Soul EV owners did not detect any degradation after 3 years
That just isn't true. The Soul EV has suffered from similar degradation issues to the Leaf.
Sorry to hear about Soul (I do not track those models/forums, just assumed as they have the similar design), although those who reported might be confused with low temp range loss. Also, Soul is so, so chunky, one may think they lost battery once they get on highway and drive @ 70 mph - the range would drop like a dead fly on the highway on those poor Souls :-). New Soul EV would have the same liquid cooled battery as Kona/Niro, just do not count on much of highway range on it. New 38.3kWh Ioniq would remain air cooled though. But no any reports of battery degradation for IONIQ EV for sure.
Last edited by Leaf15 on Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Leaf 2015 SV CPO traded for 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV Limited

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:39 pm

I'm assuming that the Ionic has liquid cooling for the battery. The Soul uses (used?) air cooling.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Leaf15

Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:46 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:I'm assuming that the Ionic has liquid cooling for the battery. The Soul uses (used?) air cooling.
Ionicq battery is air cooled: forced with fan + HVAC intake or just draft through HVAC intake to outside, also has heater for really cold situations. So battery air cooling/heating in Ioniq is the same as air cooling/heating for passengers - battery shares the same temp as humans (we both like the same temp range).

I do take precautions like not parking on open sun to roast my car during hottest days, plenty of trees at work parking and car is cool when it is time to go back home.

LeftieBiker

Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:18 pm

Ionicq battery is air cooled: forced with fan + HVAC intake or just draft through HVAC intake to outside, also has heater for really cold situations. So battery air cooling/heating in IONIQ is the same as air cooling/heating for passengers - battery shares the same temp as humans (we both like the same temp range).
Uh oh...
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

DougWantsALeaf
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:23 am

I have seen a couple articles/you tube channels suggesting that Kona and Niro actually use a 67 kWh battery, of which they only make 64 kWh available. One video showed the Kona using 66 kWh over a 310 mile range test.

For those with the car, does that jive with experience?
2019 SV Plus Silver
2013 Leaf SV
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max distance on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max distance on 19 Leaf: 242 Highway 4.5 miles/kWh (4.9 KWh remaining)

Leaf15

Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:18 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:26 pm
2016 IONIQ/Soul EV owners did not detect any degradation after 3 years
That just isn't true. The Soul EV has suffered from similar degradation issues to the Leaf.
I came across this post (7 months old) regarding old Kia Soul EV and its battery degradation posted my owner on speakev.https://www.speakev.com/threads/hyundai ... st-2481292
No need to click on the link, here is the post text I found very intriguing. "Oct 14" means it was first Kia Soul EV sold in US market started in Oct 2014:
"I have just had my Kia Soul tested by Kia
My car is an ex demo car Oct 14. When I bought the car 21mths ago it had 3500 miles on the clock
It now has 54500
My daily commute is 68 miles, the soul currently shows a range of between 70-75 this time of year. Based on this the car is rapid charged every single weekday on top of this it is charged too 100% every single weeknight. It is always filled too 100% and most days is emptied between 1-10%. My car is driven and used outside what people say is good for battery life.
But Kia tested my car 4 weeks ago and it shows 98% cap. Like was mentioned, having a Buffer and TBM makes a big difference to battery health. I think the Soul has 31.5 battery with 27 usable. When I plug in my Torque Pro the car shows me it is 100%, but TP says its only 95%
"
Based on this post and amount of "abuse" it took daily for over 3 years - it is one hell of the EV battery, folks would love to have the same battery "non-degradation" on any other maker EV car. ;)

LeftieBiker

Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:38 pm

First, constant QC charges seem to boost at least the indicated SOH. Second, note that the car was tested "By Kia." Last, there are plenty of reports of lost capacity and range in the Soul forum on this site. If I could find a report by a 2014 Leaf owner with similar stats, would you stop believing that Leaf batteries have issues with degradation...?
BAFX OBDII Dongle

Leaf15

Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:09 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:38 pm
First, constant QC charges seem to boost at least the indicated SOH. Second, note that the car was tested "By Kia." Last, there are plenty of reports of lost capacity and range in the Soul forum on this site. If I could find a report by a 2014 Leaf owner with similar stats, would you stop believing that Leaf batteries have issues with degradation...?
I do not believe or care about Leaf batteries at all. I never made any remarks about other EV batteries degradation, but the one made by Hyundai. This is Kia EV thread, so I discuss their EV related subjects. Kia owners use TP (Torque Pro) app and it displays more info than Leaf Spy would ever show, so he knew, very well, what his battery state was. "tested "By Kia." - simply means dealer confirmed his own finding during routine test while visiting dealer, same tests also offered by Nissan dealers for their EV cars. In fact, dealer test shown 98%, while in reality it was no degradation at all as his internal BMS 95% vs. display 100% is what any new battery would show, because of Hyundai allocated 5% buffer officially, but unofficially it is even more and more is merrier. Similarly, low buffer exists (5%) which makes riding to literally zero miles left an ordinary routine, nothing like freaky "!!! the sky are falling!!!" experience on other EVs. The reason I posted info about Hyundai EV batteries was to misspell much of the concerns with this issue on EV, that many folks keep bringing up when it comes to EV.

LeftieBiker

Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:48 pm

If you want to, ah, dispel concerns about Kia 30kwh air cooled packs then you need to gather more evidence than just one case. Even there, do you know the climate the 98% car resides in...?
BAFX OBDII Dongle

Leaf15

Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:14 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:48 pm
If you want to, ah, dispel concerns about Kia 30kwh air cooled packs then you need to gather more evidence than just one case. Even there, do you know the climate the 98% car resides in...?
You keep referring to Hyundai batteries as air cooled, like it is the same as Leaf. This is not accurate - Hyundai batteries in Kia Soul EV and Ioniq EV are actively managed for cooling and heating. This is one of the biggest reason I did not find a simple complain on Hyundai EV forums about any battery degradation. So apparently Hyundai is doing it right. Anyone coming from Leaf would discover Ioniq EV experience as "anti-EV" - meaning all the usual negatives about EV they learned during Leaf ownership are absent, only positive experiences ahead. For me, Ioniq EV is a living proof - EV ownership could be very positive experience, not just the fact of saving on gas.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”