Kona Electric Lifetime battery warranty vs leaf warranty.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aluminumwelder

Even though the 2019 Kona is more expensive than the leaf, when you figure in the lifetime battery warranty for the original buyer, it seems like a better deal in the long run?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lsVDdgLXho

"If" you can actually get one :)
Previous Hyundai BEVs were basically only compliance cars, limited to just parts of CA, it was the main reason I ended up with a Leaf, Nissan was the only mfg(other than the Volt at the time) that bothered to sell their cars in areas other than CAFA states.
If the Kona goes nationwide, I'd really consider them for my next EV.

Previous Hyundai BEVs were basically only compliance cars, limited to just parts of CA, it was the main reason I ended up with a Leaf, Nissan was the only mfg(other than the Volt at the time) that bothered to sell their cars in areas other than CAFA states.

The Kia Soul has been available nationwide, even beyond the (now numerous) CARB states. True, the Ionic was a California Car, but I think the Kona will be at least CARB state available from the start. We'll see.

LeftieBiker said:

The Kia Soul has been available nationwide, even beyond the (now numerous) CARB states. True, the Ionic was a California Car, but I think the Kona will be at least CARB state available from the start. We'll see.
Yes CARB not CAFA :oops:
Not sure when the Soul EV was introduced but I'm pretty sure it wasn't around when I purchased my first Leaf, a new '13 in early summer '14. I also really wanted to look and possibly purchase the Honda Accord?? PHEV, it got great MPG on gas(around 50 I believe) and had a workable shorter distance on battery. Unfortunately I would have had to drive to NY to purchase one :( something I was seriously considering until my local Honda dealers said they were not trained on nor would have parts for a vehicle they didn't sell :( No way I'd want to have to drive back to NY anytime it required PHEV specific service!

if the leaf battery costs $8500, that basically means if one ever has to replace the leaf battery, one would of been better off getting the Kona.

if you can afford to buy a new car and want to keep it a long time the kona is a winner.

most people in usa only keep their car for around 10 years of less so may not fit everyones needs.

Not sure when the Soul EV was introduced but I'm pretty sure it wasn't around when I purchased my first Leaf, a new '13 in early summer '14.

The Soul EV was introduced much later than the Leaf ('15, maybe?) and probably wasn't available in the East the first year. As more states adopt the CARB standards, it becomes easier to find these cars - although I too would be unhappy about having to lease a car from another state...

Another advantage of the life time warranty, for new car buyers, is that depreciation and therefore resale value should be much better than the LEAF.

If there was an EV with lifetime battery warranty, the car companies would lose ALOT of $$. They would be on the hook to support every car they ever make. The original owner would be rewarded to sell his car ONLY after putting in a NEW battery (which would give the highest resale value.

aluminumwelder said:
Even though the 2019 Kona is more expensive than the leaf, when you figure in the lifetime battery warranty for the original buyer, it seems like a better deal in the long run?

Based on this review and the nuggets of information within it, I'm suddenly finding the Kona a very attractive sounding alternative to the Bolt.

"Lifetime" warranties are no better than the replacement/repair policies of whoever stands behind them. Most lifetime warranties mean replacement if you can demonstrate that the device/part was defective when you took possession - NOT that you wore it out or damaged it in use. A battery which has been reduced in capacity is not defective - it is wearing out in use. That is what batteries do. A lifetime or long period warranty on a tire does not mean that it is guaranteed not to wear out in use.

powersurge said:
SO.... The attractiveness of the KONA is suddenly blown out of the water....

I'd say diminished somewhat. I still think it has a lot to offer though.

The next biggest selling point for me, all else being equal (which it's still not) is being able to take advantage of the full $7500 tax credit.

So, the warranty on the pack is pretty comparable. That simplifies the choice - a passively cooled pack that has repeatedly proven to suffer premature degradation in hot climates, or an actively cooled pack that has no track record.

That's based on the latest speculation RE the e-Plus 2019 Leaf:

https://www.electrive.com/2018/12/04/exclusive-long-range-leaf-to-debut-without-liquid-cooling/

Multiple sites are reporting the same thing, hopefully the info is wrong but that seems increasingly unlikely...

mwalsh said:
The next biggest selling point for me, all else being equal (which it's still not) is being able to take advantage of the full $7500 tax credit.
Nissan has sold 126,747 Leafs in the US through October 2018. It will still be quite a while before the federal rebate on the Leaf is reduced.

Dooglas said:
Nissan has sold 126,747 Leafs in the US through October 2018. It will still be quite a while before the federal rebate on the Leaf is reduced.

No, I'm over the LEAF. Still love my '11, but I wouldn't re-up.

My counter point on that was actually the Bolt. Or rather GM eligible vehicles in general.

Dooglas said:
mwalsh said:
It will still be quite a while before the federal rebate on the Leaf is reduced.
MWalsh used the right terminology. It's a Federal tax credit, not a rebate.

alozzy said:
Not sure where the OP got the lifetime warranty info, but this is what I found on the Kona Electric spec sheet:

KONA High Voltage Battery Warranty - 8 Years, 125,000 Miles

I tried to find that spec sheet in the Kona forum but didn't have any luck.

There are multiple sites (like this one: https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/278964-2019-hyundai-kona-ev-tesla-like-range-for-about-30000-after-tax-credits) reporting that the Kona will be coming with a non-transferable lifetime battery warranty. So far none of the articles I've seen have any details on the allowable degradation or other issues that would trigger the warranty to take effect.

-Jeff

Back