dgpcolorado
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011

Re: Official Tesla Model Y Thread

Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:55 pm

GRA wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:20 pm
...Quite so, but steer by wire seems to be much more restricted; you can always turn the power off to stop runaway accel...
That brings up the question of how one turns off a car, in an emergency, with a modern keyless entry system:

In an ICE car I haven't a clue.

In the case of an older LEAF, with a start button, I think holding it down would shut the car off, but it has been too many years since I drove one so I may not remember that right.

In a Tesla, shifting to neutral, disengages the accelerator pedal and I believe that holding down the park button engages emergency braking, although I couldn't find it in the manual. There is no "on/off" button or switch!
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!
Tesla Referral Code

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:52 pm

dgpcolorado wrote:
GRA wrote:
...Quite so, but steer by wire seems to be much more restricted; you can always turn the power off to stop runaway accel...
That brings up the question of how one turns off a car, in an emergency, with a modern keyless entry system:

In the case of an older LEAF, with a start button, I think holding it down would shut the car off, but it has been too many years since I drove one so I may not remember that right.
IIRC, on Nissans, press and hold power button works along with rapidly pressing it several times.

On gen 2 Prius, you'd have to press and hold for a few seconds. Luscious Garage did this test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N22LLJsChA

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GRA

Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:45 pm

dgpcolorado wrote:
GRA wrote:

In a Tesla, shifting to neutral, disengages the accelerator pedal and I believe that holding down the park button engages emergency braking, although I couldn't find it in the manual. There is no "on/off" button or switch!

I have no personal experience of owning such a car, as my 2003 Forester still uses a key, not that I've unlocked the door with it except when I had a dead battery in the remote. But I have no doubt that it's required that you be able to shut the engine/power/accel off and set the brake by some means other than the remote, as your and cwerdna's examples show.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862

Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:42 am

How did power assisted steering become "steer by wire?" :lol:
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 11,333.1 mi, 93.73% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GRA

Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:41 pm

I agree the distinction could have been made better in some of the sources, but the point remains valid - you aren't
allowed to have a steering system that prevents you from steering a passenger car just because some electronic component has failed. It will take many years of experience with steer-by-wire systems in other applications before it's likely the regs will be changed to allow that, and even then there will likely be customer resistance. It make take the deployment of L5 vehicles.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

cwerdna

Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:16 pm

DougWantsALeaf wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:43 am
But to be fair, 2 out of 3 Tesla review are kind of guilty of the same.

“In spite of delivery with a few dozen panel gap issues, a tear in the seat fabric, cracked paint, and the trunk not latching, we’d still have to give the M3 a 5 out of 5 because we are driving the future”
Along these lines, was a post of https://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/35696 ... y-still-is from the Electric Auto Association.

Title is "The 2020 Tesla Model Y Proves How Far Behind The Rest Of The Auto Industry Still Is
Say what you want about the panel gaps and the tweets, but everyone who's come at this king so far has missed."

I've only skimmed bits and pieces. But there are choice quotes like:
Then, finally, I despised Tesla for inflicting owners with an innumerable amount of post-sales issues, including notoriously poor quality control.

I don’t know what’s worse between a paint job that peels off during the first winter, or door handles that refuse to operate properly during a cool Canadian morning; don't even get me started on the infamous panel gaps.

This year, Tesla is back with its most important car possibly ever: the Model Y. It's priced to sell in the ultra-important, ultra-popular, ultra-lucrative midsize crossover segment, smaller and cheaper than a Model X and without those problematic Falcon Doors. Unlike wild experiments like the forthcoming Cybertruck—if that even happens as-is—the Model Y is meant to be a major volume-seller, the car that keeps the bills paid. But it also needs to still be a Tesla, meaning fast, high-tech and a cut above all other EVs, long as you check expectations about quality at the normally-opening door.

Yet will the 2020 Tesla Model Y being plagued with build quality issues affect its desirability? Perhaps not. Because here’s the cold hard truth about Tesla: whether we like it or not, it’s still ahead of the curve. Way ahead. And the more I drive Tesla's cars, the sadder I feel about the rest of the auto industry.
and
Come At Me, Muskbros

Before I move onto my driving impressions, I will say that I was just as disappointed by this thing’s overall build quality as the Model 3’s. Among the manufacturing issues I noticed on my tester, which I obtained through the Turo ride-sharing app, was a passenger-side headlight that wasn’t properly aligned, a rear bumper that didn’t quite tuck in the same way on both sides of the car, a rear hatch that had a wider door-to-body gap on one side than the other, and some rubber moldings that felt they had been installed as afterthoughts.

That the Model Y’s large center console is made out of cheap Dollarama-grade plastic is another huge letdown. Cabin noise was also very apparent during my drive, where squeaks and rattles kept disturbing the otherwise peaceful experience—it's all especially more noticeable with no engine to drown it out. The Model Y’s interior feels downright cheaply made, especially when you compare it to what the Germans or even the South-Koreans manufacture in this price bracket.
If you don't get the MuskBros comment, read https://www.thedailybeast.com/what-its- ... -after-you which has some NSFW language in it.

'19 Bolt Premier

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:03 pm

Shades of Steve Martin's "Cruel Shoes."

[youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8fuBiOwNmk[/youtube]
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

DougWantsALeaf
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811

Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:52 pm

I know I risk being labeled a troll by posting this, but does anyone else find it at least humorous, even if an effective solution (creative parts mgmt).

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/36274/tes ... -fake-wood
2019 S Plus (97.98% SOH) & 2019 SV Plus (94.84% SOH) Both Silver
2013 Leaf SV sold 2019 with 11 bars
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max Miles on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max Miles on 19 SV+: 242 Highway miles @ 4.5 miles/kWh

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:39 pm

I hereby dub the Model Y "The (fake) Woody." Assuming it hasn't already been so dubbed.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna

Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:08 pm

DougWantsALeaf wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:52 pm
I know I risk being labeled a troll by posting this, but does anyone else find it at least humorous, even if an effective solution (creative parts mgmt).

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/36274/tes ... -fake-wood
There are only a very small # of people here on MNL who might label you a troll for posting something like this...

On the other hand, if it were on TMC and you weren't a Tesla vehicle owner or the post didn't come from the board staff itself... oh boy...

'19 Bolt Premier

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”