NotATesla
Delivery Date: 23 May 2019
Leaf Number: 311925

Re: Official Tesla Model Y Thread

Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:17 am

We rented and drove a Model Y over the weekend (our first experience drivings a Tesla). Truly a great car, we even went camping in it to try out the camp mode... hilarious but actually pretty comfortable for two people 5'10" and under.

It was a performance trim with the performance upgrades so while it looked slick, the ride left a little something to be desired as you could feel pretty much every bump or crack in the road. There were some fit and finish issues like the driver's window catching when going up and the trunk hatch catching on the taillight when opening... but otherwise looked and felt good.

We're in Ohio and have only seen one Model Y otherwise so it was cool to be able to drive one for ourselves.
2019 SL Plus Silver - ODO: 20,588 mi SOH: 92.71%

GRA

Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:02 pm

IEVS:
Does Tesla Model Y Live Up To EPA Estimate In Real-World Range Test?

https://insideevs.com/reviews/426318/vi ... ange-test/
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Bouldergramp
Delivery Date: 15 Oct 2018
Leaf Number: 317621

Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:36 am

The latest from the Wall Street Journal Dan Neil's Rumble Seat column:
"Is Tesla’s Model Y Crossover the World’s Best Car? After years of extravagant R&D, the Silicon Valley car maker has accumulated a pile of patents and a mountain of innovations. No wonder the Model Y is years ahead of the competition, says Dan Neil."
and
"From behind the wheel of the Model Y, every competitor in the category feels like a sluggish, sloppy antique."

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:43 pm

"Tesla: Great car company, or the GREATEST car company!?"
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Zythryn

Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:25 pm

Bouldergramp wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:36 am
The latest from the Wall Street Journal Dan Neil's Rumble Seat column:
"Is Tesla’s Model Y Crossover the World’s Best Car? After years of extravagant R&D, the Silicon Valley car maker has accumulated a pile of patents and a mountain of innovations. No wonder the Model Y is years ahead of the competition, says Dan Neil."
and
"From behind the wheel of the Model Y, every competitor in the category feels like a sluggish, sloppy antique."
I love his stylized writing.
My favorite phrase may be where he refers to the Model Y as “...little dreadnought of innovation”.

My wife just picked hers up yesterday. She absolutely loves it. Sits up a little higher, easier to get in and out.
I am really looking forward to seeing how efficient the heat pump is next winter.

Contactless pickup went well. We found no issues with the car.
Previous owner of Prius, Volt, Leaf & Model S
Current owner of Model 3
http://www.netzeromn.com

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:53 pm

little dreadnought
So is the Model Y a large warship equipped only with large caliber guns, or a small but warm overcoat?
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

coleafrado

Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:50 pm

Test drove a Dual Motor Long Range today. Pretty great car, but a couple things really annoyed me:

- Acceleration was not as fast from a full stop as the 3. There's a weird little half-second of delay
- Rearview window is so small it was essentially unusable, side mirrors are also tiny. Blind spots are huge! Couldn't trust AP cameras, kept having to look over my shoulder
- Networking didn't work, apparently getting satellite maps costs $10/month?
- Seat lumbar support cushion/balloon was super annoying, way too big (and I let it shrink to its minimum size for a whole minute)
- AC is super loud yet it doesn't go to 11 :cry:
- Lots of skittery wind noise around 70 mph
- Seating position is just like a minivan, but it drives like a sportscar.
- Lane departure warning seems to wear itself out after one event
- Bumper paint color didn't match the rest of the car. Most of the cars in the lot had little bits of crud stuck between the panels
- I don't quite believe the "316 mile range" figure given that I burned 28 miles of range in ~12 miles of highway and mountain driving
- Way too fast overall. Just overkill.

Conclusion: would not personally buy, but it's within 0.1 dB of what the American public wants in almost every dimension.

salyavin
Delivery Date: 30 Dec 2019
Leaf Number: 318726

Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:47 pm

Thank you for that! The window is it like a Prius (did you ever drive one of those?) I found that small window not great.
Surprised at the small delay as electric is typically instant torque, the Y is supposed to do 0-60 in 4.8 seconds which will leave my Plus behind.

I also understand no blind spot monitoring which combined with poor visibility is not good.

coleafrado

Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:26 am

salyavin wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:47 pm
Thank you for that! The window is it like a Prius (did you ever drive one of those?) I found that small window not great.
Surprised at the small delay as electric is typically instant torque, the Y is supposed to do 0-60 in 4.8 seconds which will leave my Plus behind.

I also understand no blind spot monitoring which combined with poor visibility is not good.
I've driven a Prius a few times but don't really remember the rear-view. The main issue with the Y's rear view is that the car is also very long, so it's a relatively narrow field of view.

palmermd
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011

Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:53 am

Leaving the Leaf in the rear view. Same thing I did when I switched to Model 3. I agree rear visibility is not great, but front visibility is much better than most any modern car. Rear in most modern cars is not great, and Model 3 is about the same.
Michael

Leaf from 31 March 2011 - Traded 18 April 2019 for Tesla Model 3 Unicorn
Driving electric since 1996

Leaf Bar Loss

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”