They're baaaack. GCR: 1,000 mile electric car unveiled; Aptera returns 10 years later

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The article notes they'll be offering versions from 40-100kWh, the last being the 1,000 mile range one. As for why 1,000 miles, Toyota is running TV ads promoting 500-800 mile ranges of their hybrids. While no one needs that much for a road trip, it does eliminate any need to pay rural monopoly prices during one, and cuts down the frequency of trips to the gas station in local use; the weight/cost addition's minimal for a bigger tank (not true for a BEV).

With charging infrastructure still so sparse outside of metro areas, that kind of range (before you subtract for degradation, reserve, HVAC, winds, elevation etc.) would provide much the same worry-free convenience and flexibility that long range and the gasoline infrastructure does for ICEs. For a BEV to provide the same 300-400 mile + reserve real-world range as a typical non-hybrid ICE, it needs 500 - 600 miles of EPA range. This assumes that anyone would use such a car for such a trip, but there's little reason to so heavily emphasize efficiency for a city car, as it will be essentially invisible from an SUV in city traffic.

Initially, they would offer only low end $34K model with 40kWh battery good for 400 miles of EPA range. The efficiency of this car is 100 wh/mile or 10 miles/kWh. 40kWh and 60kWh(600 miles range) models would offer 0-60 in 4 seconds, top model ($59K) with 100kWh battery would offer 1000 miles range and 0-60 in 3 seconds. It will have option for Fast Charging (10 miles/minute). It is as wide as Tesla Model S and as long as Toyota Prius with 20% more cargo space then Prius. They may offer 3 seat option (one rear seat). It is not family oriented car, but good for couples for local commute and for long distance travel. Bulk of R$D was completed 10 years ago, so this time their goal is to start making it, after a few finishing touches, pre-production prototypes and certifications. Crowdsourcing is a key to unlock private funding for production.

I am very happy to see another entrant into the very wacky world of EVs of all ilks. I do think there are many issues to be resolved though. I’m especially concerned about 10-year-old R&D. A lot has happened in battery chemistry in just the last 2-3 years, and everyone has learned about battery temperature management from the weaknesses of the 2011-2012 LEAF’s unmet cooling needs to Tesla’s preheating its battery enroute prior to arriving at a SuperCharger to maximize charging rate. Also, more is known about what non-early-adopter customers expect and demand of an EV for it to be more than a 2nd or 3rd vehicle in the family. Maybe if enough EV startups actually have product in the market that is accepted and even desired, the ICE companies will get on board in some meaningful way. More importantly, maybe the commercial fleets will adopt EVs for over-the-road trucking, busses, rental cars, and other huge users and polluters getting them off of fossil fuels.

That said, I’m not planning on joining the Kickstarter-like campaign for Aptera. But I am considering the Model Y in a year or two. Pretty sure Nissan will not get my EV business other than for servicing my 2012 SL until it croaks.

Leaf15 said:
but good for couples for local commute and for long distance travel.
Offhand it does look not very comfortable for long distance travel, and I'd hate to be in an accident in it at 70+MPH.

Aptera just announced availability of solar cells covering the top surfaces as standard option on all cars. It would provide up to 40+ miles/day. For me, it means - I would never ever charge again for commute purposes, as I would have an excess of energy every day to cover any adverse weather conditions . This is what sustainable transportation should be like!

https://wefunder.com/updates/126635-the-world-s-first-never-charge-electric-vehicle

Leaf15 said:
Aptera just announced availability of solar cells covering the top surfaces as standard option on all cars. It would provide up to 40+ miles/day. For me, it means - I would never ever charge again for commute purposes, as I would have an excess of energy every day to cover any adverse weather conditions . This is what sustainable transportation should be like!

https://wefunder.com/updates/126635-the-world-s-first-never-charge-electric-vehicle

They might as well claim that it cures cancer - the company owners just want to scam some more $ before the company folds.

Rebel44 said:
They might as well claim that it cures cancer - the company owners just want to scam some more $ before the company folds.
Except that they do not and claims of 40mi/day is reasonable and achievable as this car only uses 1kWh for 10 miles. It is not difficult to understand it is very possible to harvest 4kWh solar energy during day light from the top surface of a car (bigger area than 4 x 250W medium efficiency solar panels). No degree in rocket science is needed.

First, why would anyone send them money "So they can make a prototype to test??" That would be giving them money to play with their toys, and they could just fold up and go home at the end.... Most investors invest when it is manufacturing time.

Most importantly - What the hell would someone do with a 1000 mile range "clown car"? When you go long distance, you need to bring STUFF, which does not fit in a car the size of the Mercury space capsule...

powersurge said:
First, why would anyone send them money "So they can make a prototype to test??" That would be giving them money to play with their toys, and they could just fold up and go home at the end.... Most investors invest when it is manufacturing time.

Most importantly - What the hell would someone do with a 1000 mile range "clown car"? When you go long distance, you need to bring STUFF, which does not fit in a car the size of the Mercury space capsule...
Your ignorance is showing. Please do some research before posting this uneducated blabber. The cargo space is bigger than in Model 3 and Prius and better arranged. It is not small, The width is same as chunky Model S and length of a Prius. They offer 3 range models 400, 600 and 1000. The crowd funding is not to build cars - it is to unlock private financing > $200m, which they already reached the minimal goal.

Leaf15 said:
powersurge said:

Your ignorance is showing. Please do some research before posting this uneducated blabber. The cargo space is bigger than in Model 3 and Prius and better arranged. It is not small, The width is same as chunky Model S and length of a Prius. They offer 3 range models 400, 600 and 1000. The crowd funding is not to build cars - it is to unlock private financing > $200m, which they already reached the minimal goal.

Up yours with calling an opinion "uneducated blabber". I can write whatever I want, and you are the dweeb for defending an unknown party that is looking to milk people's money. You get educated so you can spot a ponzi scheme.

I drove the 2e and I'm very familiar with the nonsense that went on at Aptera and it's not from the founders. Aptera failed because of the incompetent fools that came in and took over later blowing money on high salaries and $1000 office chairs. Surprisingly these new management "experts" people came from the ICE world. Anyone who knows the real story knows there were not a scam and were basically pushed out of business, many believed intentionally. Most of the comments here are based on ignorance of the company, the 2e was quite an amazing vehicle and had incredible cargo capacity. It was one of the funnest and coolest EVs I have ever driven. The events in that company were a bit of a scam but not from the founders. The demise of Aptera was pretty sad and pretty pathetic for those that know the real story and those that followed it closely were pretty disappointed about what the new leadership did.

powersurge said:
Leaf15 said:
powersurge said:

Up yours with calling an opinion "uneducated blabber". I can write whatever I want, and you are the dweeb for defending an unknown party that is looking to milk people's money. You get educated so you can spot a ponzi scheme.

No you can't say whatever you want and you have been officially warned.

EVDRIVER said:
powersurge said:
Leaf15 said:

No you can't say whatever you want and you have been officially warned.

Thank you (EVDRIVER) for publicly memorializing my entire exchange with the other poster. I refuse to be scolded, rudely corrected, or bullied by people on this site when I write a comment... I see this happening way too often to other members, and refuse to accept this silently.

I will not accept that any unmannered know-it-all individual comment that I am "ignorant", or use "uneducated blabber" for making a comment. There are a number of individuals who put down and bully other's posters when they disagree. I wrote a strongly worded rebuke to this individual (which did not contain inappropriate language). If you feel it important to contact me, Are you also sending warnings to those people for their comments to me?

I promise that I will not write adversarial responses to others in the future, but I promise you that I will make public comments of inappropriate, or other poor behavior of members in the future. Also, I promise that I will contact you when I find bullying happening to others on this forum so that poorly mannered individuals will monitor their behavior in the future... In the interest of community, I hope that you handle future inappropriate comments with the swiftness you contacted me. Again, thank you for contacting me.

This is the issue with your post:

"Up yours with calling an opinion "uneducated blabber". I can write whatever I want, and you are the dweeb"

EVDRIVER said:
I drove the 2e and I'm very familiar with the nonsense that went on at Aptera and it's not from the founders. Aptera failed because of the incompetent fools that came in and took over later blowing money on high salaries and $1000 office chairs. Surprisingly these new management "experts" people came from the ICE world. Anyone who knows the real story knows there were not a scam and were basically pushed out of business, many believed intentionally. Most of the comments here are based on ignorance of the company, the 2e was quite an amazing vehicle and had incredible cargo capacity. It was one of the funnest and coolest EVs I have ever driven. The events in that company were a bit of a scam but not from the founders. The demise of Aptera was pretty sad and pretty pathetic for those that know the real story and those that followed it closely were pretty disappointed about what the new leadership did.

Yeah, Aptera near the end was a mess and wouldn’t get off the pot so to say. The auto exec management move never made any sense to me.

My father wanted to put down a deposit and I convinced him not to (glad I did)

If Aptera manages to be 3 wheel motorcycle EV tax exempt (which is the case for the moment)
And they get a useable product to market quickly without an immense price tag I would consider one.

It would be my 2nd EV with the first having nonexpiring collector plates 1981 Comutacar.

With the taxes and fuel prices where they are at I’ve had to opt out of newer tech like hybrids and EVs
since it’s a money looser all around TCO with taxes and insurance is lower on my old 50mpg+ gas cars.

Back