EatsShootsandLeafs
Delivery Date: 24 Aug 2012

Re: The RAV-4 PHEV Topic

Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:23 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:41 pm
My only question at this point is "Heated steering wheel?" I know it has a heat pump.
Me, too. I hope they don't require a $2500 "winter package" for that.

GRA

Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:26 pm

What really bugs me is that GM could have done this four years ago and had the market to themselves until now, if in 2015 they'd just introduced a Voltec AWD CUV that almost everyone on EV forums had been asking them to build. Instead, the Volt limped along before being cancelled. Gaah!
Last edited by GRA on Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Titanium48
Delivery Date: 25 Jan 2019

Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:50 pm

Not quite to themselves, there is the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV as well.
2016 SL

GRA

Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:59 pm

Titanium48 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:50 pm
Not quite to themselves, there is the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV as well.

Lately the Crosstrek HEV as well, but the Outlander gets lousy MPG, and the Crosstrek gives up too much cargo space and has a sub-20 mile AER. It's the combination of a good AER, good MPG and (we assume) good cargo/pax space at what we hope will be a reasonable price for the RAV4 that's the big deal. I would have been happy with a 2016 Voltec-powered compact AWD CUV with only half the Gen 2 Volt's battery/53 mile AER, if necessary to keep the price/weight down and the volume/MPG up, although many people wanted the full battery and were willing to pay for it. The wishes for some such vehicle from GM were legion. Instead, they offered the Gen 2 Volt at a time when the customer shift to C/SUVs had already been underway for several years.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

Titanium48
Delivery Date: 25 Jan 2019

Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:52 pm

I also don't understand why GM has never tried to sell a "Voltequinox", and I agree about the issues with the Outlander. Another Outlander problem I have seen in reviews from Europe (where the tow rating is 1500 kg) relates to the nature of the Mitsubishi hybrid drivetrain - it can operate in serial mode at low or medium speeds or parallel mode at highway speed. The problem is that parallel mode is a fixed ratio so the ICE cannot generate maximum power. It works fine when just cruising the highway, but when attempting to tow something the batteries get drained until it switches to serial mode, at which point there is no reserve left so you are limited to the output of the ICE minus the losses in the rotation-electric-rotation double conversion. IIRC, the voltec drivetrain operates the same way so I would expect the same problem. If Toyota's drivetrain can allow maximum ICE output over a wide range of speeds, they could have a winner.
2016 SL

GRA

Re: The RAV-4 Prime PHEV Topic

Fri May 29, 2020 5:29 pm

Leftie, you might want to change the topic title.

ABG:
2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime comes in under $40K, with over 300 hp

The performance hybrid goes on sale this summer

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/05/29/202 ... e-pricing/

The 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime SE will ring the till at $39,220 (including a $1,120 destination charge) when it goes on sale this summer, Toyota announced Friday.

So far, hybrid variants of smaller mainstream two-row crossovers have been focused entirely on efficiency; even Toyota's own RAV4 Hybrid is rated at 41 mpg city, 38 mpg highway and 40 combined on the strength of its 219-horsepower conventional hybrid drive system.

While Toyota insists the RAV4 Prime will be plenty efficient, squeezing the most out of a drop of fuel is not its top priority. Its plug-in hybrid system produces a total system output of 302 horsepower, making it the most powerful compact SUV from a non-luxury brand. Toyota says it'll also go from 0-60 mph in 5.7 seconds (down from an earlier estimate of 5.8), which should be in contention for quickest alongside the high-output 2020 Ford Escape.

Toyota says the EPA has rated the RAV4 Prime at 94 MPGe. Precise city and highway figures have not yet been provided. For context, the company's own Prius Prime — rated at 133 MPGe — achieves 55 mpg in the city, 53 mpg on the highway and 54 mpg combined. . . .

Toyota says the RAV4 Prime's battery is good for 42 miles of pure electric driving — up from a previous estimate of 39 miles.

Toyota will offer the RAV4 Prime in two flavors: SE (the base model) and XSE. Standard equipment on the SE will include heated front seats, a leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, a power liftgate, and an 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Android Auto, Apple CarPlay and Amazon Alexa integration. The XSE ($42,545 before options) will include a 9-inch touchscreen, upgraded audio, wireless device charging, a moonroof and a fancy two-tone exterior paint scheme, among other features. . . .

Tempting, depending on Hwy MPG (I'd really like at least 40) & cargo space/spare tire carriage. Still a bit pricy and a little too big for me, but I'll definitely check it out when it arrives.

coleafrado

Sat May 30, 2020 11:56 am

94 MPGe is pretty efficient.

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Sat May 30, 2020 1:01 pm

I really wish Toyota would stop pushing the power and 0-60, only going to make it harder for someone(like me) to get one, fighting with the masses who may not give a rip about the MPG etc. and only want it for it's power :(
I too would like 40mpg hwy, but with the 40+ EV range and decent 36 hwy, I'm really interested. Sure it wouldn't get the 50+ MPG hwy that something like a Prius Prime would get, but its city EV range trounces the Prius's upper 20s.
I recently looked at the Mitsubishi Highlander(correction Outlander) PHEV but couldn't get over the dated design, lower hwy mpg and lowish EV range. I really want to replace our older Prius and one Leaf with a PHEV preferably SUV(higher ride height, better ground clearance, AWD) to save on insurance and tab fees. Unfortunately, I'm thinking the RAV4 Prime won't really be available to me(at a price not more than sticker) for a couple of years and I'd really like to do something sooner......
Last edited by jjeff on Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sat May 30, 2020 4:58 pm

I went through a similar thought process, but luckily for me all we really need now is a 200 mile EV and a second car, preferably an EV. The PIP still works fine as an EV for in-town errands in milder weather, so my plan is to get an ePlus and keep the PIP as that backup car.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GRA

Sat May 30, 2020 4:59 pm

jjeff, I feel the same about the power/accel, but if it means more people will buy it, that's good. I remain more concerned about whether or not it has spare tire stowage and a normal height load floor, i.e. not like the Prius Prime. We'll see.

BTW, presumably you meant the Outlander, not Highlander. Mixing corporations there! :lol:

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”