Official Nikola Badger PHFCEV Pickup topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

For those into pickups, via IEVS:
Nikola Reveals Badger Electric Pickup Truck With 600-Mile Range
https://insideevs.com/news/397880/nikola-badger-electric-truck/

Nikola has just revealed its Badger electric pickup truck concept. With an estimated total range of 600 miles (a blended figure that includes the use of hydrogen) or 300 miles on battery alone, the Badger seems impressive. It zips from 0 to 60 MPH in 2.9 seconds. Reservations for the truck will open sometime in 2020 following its debut this September. No pricing information is available at this point in time. . . .

• 600 miles on blended FCEV / BEV
    300 miles on BEV alone
    Operates on blended FCEV / BEV or BEV only by touch of a button
    906 HP peak
    455 HP continuous
    980 ft. lbs. of torque
    160 kWh, flooded module - lithium-ion battery
    120 kW fuel cell
    Advanced Supercapacitor Launch Assist that blends with lithium ion and fuel-cell
    -20F operating environments without major performance or SOC losses
    Towing capacity of over 8,000 pounds
    Operating targets without motor stalls up to 50% grade
    15 kW power export outlet
    Compatible with industry-standard charging for BEV mode
    Five seats
    Truck dimensions: 5900 mm long x 1850 mm tall x 2160 mm wide a 1560 mm bed width. . . .

Does it come with its own hydrogen refueling infrastructure?

Here's an idea, topic-wise: how about a topic for EV vehicle news, a topic for EV infrastructure news, and then, as the EVs mentioned actually appear on the streets, a topic for each vehicle...?

LeftieBiker said:
Does it come with its own hydrogen refueling infrastructure?

Long since announced by Nikola and IIRR I've covered it in the H2 and FCEV topic, but as repeated in the article:
Nikola is currently planning 700 hydrogen stations to give North America hydrogen coverage

This was first announced in relation to the semis, but there's nothing to stop other FCEVs from using it, and would potentially transform the viability of FCEVs outside limited areas of California, just as the SC and EA charging networks have started to do for BEVs.

LeftieBiker said:
Here's an idea, topic-wise: how about a topic for EV vehicle news, a topic for EV infrastructure news, and then, as the EVs mentioned actually appear on the streets, a topic for each vehicle...?

Sounds good to me, although I think we've got to provide specific vehicle topics before they're actually available to buy (but are getting close), as so much info becomes available prior to that. That time is easier to choose for established manufacturers than startups like Nikola, who might disappear before hardware is available to be bought.

Anyway, do you want to start such topics, and how are we going to deal with cross-over articles such as this one that covers two or more areas?

Oilpan4 said:
Lose the hydrogen fuel cell version and it might be a cool ev.

Admittedly I don’t really understand this vehicle either.

You pay the EV tax while also paying taxes on hydrogen and can plug in intralata whe you can’t access hydrogen.

Given the cost, weight, maintenance of the fuel cell and mandatory inspection and replacement of the hydrogen tank every now and again
it would seem better just to omit the hydrogen system and pack more battery.?

Ah well

The problem with hydrogen is its $16 per Kg and 1 Kg used in a fuel cell replaces about 1 gallon of gas in an ice.

And canceled?

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/11/nikola-stock-plunges-as-company-cancels-badger-pickup-truck/

The er, gentleman behind the truck already admitted that it was largely vaporware, and that the prototype, IIRC, didn't actually run. Gee, who could have guessed that it might not make it to production? Ah well, I'm sure that those "planned" 700 refueling stations were real.

LeftieBiker said:
The er, gentleman behind the truck already admitted that it was largely vaporware, and that the prototype, IIRC, didn't actually run. Gee, who could have guessed that it might not make it to production? Ah well, I'm sure that those "planned" 700 refueling stations were real.
You're confusing Nikola's Semi debacle with this debacle (the Badger, a pickup truck).

jlv said:
LeftieBiker said:
You're confusing Nikola's Semi debacle with this debacle (the Badger, a pickup truck).

Am I? Dang. I would have sworn it was the pickup. So they are producing VaporHardware (I call trademark) in the form of two trucks, but have canceled one of them? Does that mean they will not produce twice as many of the Semi (-real)?

LeftieBiker said:
Am I? Dang. I would have sworn it was the pickup. So they are producing VaporHardware (I call trademark) in the form of two trucks, but have canceled one of them? Does that mean they will not produce twice as many of the Semi (-real)?
The semi Nikola One was the one that was a non-fuctioning prototype with the video of it "driving" that was really the truck rolling down a long slope. For pick-up truck Badger, I don't think anything ever existed other than a computer rendering.

jlv said:
LeftieBiker said:
The semi Nikola One was the one that was a non-fuctioning prototype with the video of it "driving" that was really the truck rolling down a long slope. For pick-up truck Badger, I don't think anything ever existed other than a computer rendering.

Yep, and in the case of the truck nothing existed other than a chassis (bought from a 3rd party) on wheels rolling down a hill. It is really quite amazing that the lot of them are not already in jail.

SageBrush said:
Yep, and in the case of the truck nothing existed other than a chassis (bought from a 3rd party) on wheels rolling down a hill. It is really quite amazing that the lot of them are not already in jail.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/29/us-prosecutors-charge-trevor-milton-founder-of-electric-carmaker-nikola-with-three-counts-of-fraud.html

WetEV said:
SageBrush said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/29/us-prosecutors-charge-trevor-milton-founder-of-electric-carmaker-nikola-with-three-counts-of-fraud.html

Not quite the same situation - especially legally - but the Volt show car was a Camaro show car with a golf cart drivetrain. GM suggested, when PBS filmed it creeping along (right before it broke down) that they "speed up the film."

WetEV said:
SageBrush said:

The other Nikola folks are no less cheeky. After throwing Milton under the bus, they now say that the company should not be tarnished by Milton's doings. As if they were not there all along, agreeing to and participating in the fraud.

Scum beings aside, why in the world does this stock still have ~ $12 a stock market value ? I realize that some believe that the company has some 0.8B cash stashed somewhere but that is based on executive statements (hah!) and even if true it is a small fraction of ~ $5B market cap.

Back