Tesla Model 2 (?) - Hot Hatch

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So many good choices in the near future.

I like my Model 3 a lot, but for my two person family 1.5 cars makes the most sense. I think we'll end up with either a Tesla Model S + generic small city EV, or Tesla Model S + Tesla Model 2, or Tesla Model S + currently owned Model 3. The Model 3 is not what I call a 0.5 car but we already own it and I doubt it will be worthwhile money wise to swap it for a lesser EV.

Why Model S ? It will probably be the first car with 450+ mile EPA long range, is an outstanding touring car, and it has an outstanding hatch and hauling space. The Model Y is still in contention if its future revision improves rear visibility and it reaches my range goals. I'm still arguing with myself if I want a suspension so good that my wife can hit every pothole with alacrity. That is a double edged sword.

danrjones said:
Some info on the "cheaper" Hot Hatch Tesla, coming in 2023 (?)
More like Hot Air from IEV ... this particular article is all speculation with a made-up date.

SageBrush said:
I'm still arguing with myself if I want a suspension so good that my wife can hit every pothole with her usual alacrity.
My S has coils, my X has Air Suspension. I personally can't tell the difference when driving or riding.

jlv said:
danrjones said:
Some info on the "cheaper" Hot Hatch Tesla, coming in 2023 (?)
More like Hot Air from IEV ... this particular article is all speculation with a made-up date.

Yup.
A Tesla Model 2 *will* be available in the future, markets unknown. That general Tesla plan has been known for a good year. The only speculation I consider reasonable is that China and Europe are targeted markets and perhaps India. I'll actually be surprised if it is marketed in the USA.

Model 2 will be built in China, likely with Lifp batteries, for the Chinese market. Likely that it will be exported as well. A slightly different version will be built in Germany as well for the European market. Tesla needs to build a plant in India to compete in that market due to their high import tariffs. That is probably several years down the line, but Tesla has already set up a sales org there. Building 3's, Ys, and some variant of the 2 there makes sense.

The real question is whether Tesla imports from either China or Germany or builds a new factory for Model 2's for the US market. It would probably build Y's as well. An east coast location would be my guess and after India. You can't afford to overlook a 900,000,000 person market even if the average person can't afford your product and India's tariff structure almost mandates that you build locally.

Back