2014 Mitsubishi OutLander to be Plug-In Hybrid!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRONZ

With all the current attention being paid to the iMiEV and Mutsu opening SoCals first L3, it seems the maker of the Zero has quietly been at work on a Plug-In Hybrid.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/52074/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... -outlander

http://wot.motortrend.com/next-gen-mits" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 95745.html

If this Plug-In can tow like the current outlander, has AWD and the fold out third row seating, I am definitely interested! It's still very early but with Mitsu's bold moves towards Electrification, such an SUV is very likely. I will be watching.

Yeah, I've been hearing about this for a while, if that's coming next year as 2013 model I'll be definitively replacing my gas Outlander for this.

The old PX-MiEV concept they always show is from 2009 and needs an update. But the Plug-In news is looking very promising for production. I am not aware of any other Plug-In, AWD, three row, SUV (CUV?) being discussed for production. This category seems to be a perfect fit for current PI Hybrid technology.

IBELEAF said:
Yeah, I've been hearing about this for a while, if that's coming next year as 2013 model I'll be definitively replacing my gas Outlander for this.
I doubt it is coming next year - going by current examples - this will rollout in 2013 December.

The market segment seems like a slam dunk in the U.S. but when it actually lands is anyone's guess. It does sound like Mitsu wants this to be their second Plug-In following the 2012 i-MiEV though. Probably why 2013 pops up since it's the next model year.

I am not aware of another Plug-In SUV (CUV?) in the works by anyone. The closest thing being shown is the Volvo V60 Hybrid. Except it does not have a third row, unknown towing ability (and U.S. will not get it as a diesel). Tesla Model X is not even to the vaporware state yet.

TRONZ said:
The market segment seems like a slam dunk in the U.S. but when it actually lands is anyone's guess. It does sound like Mitsu wants this to be their second Plug-In following the 2012 i-MiEV though. Probably why 2013 pops up since it's the next model year.
The problem is SUVs are already big, bulky & heavy. The aero is terrible. If you add even a volt sized 16 kwh battery, not sure how far that will take you on EV mode.

What if the plug-in SUV only gave 20 miles of EV range, only a few mpg more than the std version, compromised a bit on space and costs $15K more. How slam dunk is that ?

TRONZ said:
If this Plug-In can tow like the current outlander, has AWD and the fold out third row seating, I am definitely interested!

Perhaps very light towing, but soccer moms are not interested in towing.. it would be a good extended range 2nd vehicle for a household with an iMiev as the main car.

It would be a non-starter for me.

evnow said:
What if the plug-in SUV only gave 20 miles of EV range, only a few mpg more than the std version, compromised a bit on space and costs $15K more. How slam dunk is that ?

No specs of any kind yet unfortunately. Having two 65hp motors and only a 1.6 liter engine makes it appear Mitsu wants to make it a very strong (EV) hybrid. It's way too early to judge one way or the other. All I know is that I will very likely be turning in the F350 in 18 Mo's. There will be a big hole in our ability to get bikes to and from the track. If Bio Diesel comes on line by then, I will re-evaluate. But I won't hold my breath on something like that.

Your conclusion seems to be the same one that GM has come to.

GM has re-engineered their two-mode hybrid transmission, adding two new modes for electric only drive to allow for high speed EV only modes. They are clearly intending on moving into the PHEV arena with the new design.

It looks like they were planning on releasing an Escalade based on this new transmission in 2012, but have concluded - like you - that the performance results were just not cost-justifiable at this point in time. Rumors are they have shelved until at least 2015.

The two-mode is currently used by GM in large vehicles - pickups and full size SUV's. It was hoped the technology could be adopted to smaller vehicles in the GM line up, but so far there has been no indication of a move in that direction, nor any reasons given why the technology would not perform well in smaller vehicles.

evnow said:
The problem is SUVs are already big, bulky & heavy. The aero is terrible. If you add even a volt sized 16 kwh battery, not sure how far that will take you on EV mode.

mogur said:
Unfortunately, if you look at Consumers and other sources, Mitsubishis in general are not known for stellar quality...

Unfortunately, I've taken Leaf to dealership for repair more often in the past 4 month then I did Outlander in 4 years... While it may not feel like it's quality made, it didn't have any issues.

IBELEAF said:
mogur said:
Unfortunately, if you look at Consumers and other sources, Mitsubishis in general are not known for stellar quality...

Unfortunately, I've taken Leaf to dealership for repair more often in the past 4 month then I did Outlander in 4 years... While it may not feel like it's quality made, it didn't have any issues.

Well you must have a lemon then... I'm at 4k miles with out any problems whatsover. (knock on wood)

Back