EV Trucks ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTLFTcomposite

I'm surprised T Boone Pickens hasn't weighed in. He was pushing wind energy heavily which EVs play into. Also natural gas, as a transport fuel and a key part of wind energy. Face it you aren't going to have battery powered 18 wheelers any time soon.

LTLFTcomposite said:
....you aren't going to have battery powered 18 wheelers any time soon.

Well actually... there are a two big battery-electric trucks being tested at the moment - one in Canada and one in Finland. In addition, there is a company in the UK with a design for a 12 wheel heavy truck with a 400 mile range. Smiths Electric Vehicles have a design for a big truck as well and already sell smaller 18-tonne electric trucks in Europe. TNT have recently bought around 200 of them.

So don't rule them out, although I don't expect any of them to become commonplace any time soon.

MikeBoxwell said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
....you aren't going to have battery powered 18 wheelers any time soon.

Well actually... there are a two big battery-electric trucks being tested at the moment - one in Canada and one in Finland. In addition, there is a company in the UK with a design for a 12 wheel heavy truck with a 400 mile range. Smiths Electric Vehicles have a design for a big truck as well and already sell smaller 18-tonne electric trucks in Europe. TNT have recently bought around 200 of them.

So don't rule them out, although I don't expect any of them to become commonplace any time soon.

There's a plant in my city working on manufacturing electric heavy duty hauling trucks:

http://green.autoblog.com/2009/11/08/electric-vehicle-international-opens-california-headquarters-la/

Seems like a natural for garbage trucks with all the low speed operation, stop and go.

There I go again wandering OT... what do garbage trucks have to do with celebrities? Then again, maybe...

LTLFTcomposite said:
There I go again wandering OT... what do garbage trucks have to do with celebrities? Then again, maybe...

Yes ! But since this is an interesting subject let me make a new thread of this ...

This says the Navistar eStar only has a range similar to the Leaf, and I assume that's unladen. Doesn't sound hugely practical when compared to natural gas, at least not yet, when considering the $150k price tag.

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2010/0628/energy-autos-electric-cars-ibm-nissan-running-on-air.html

While trucks are heavy - they also have a lot of space. So, it shouldn't be particularly difficult to electrify them - but for cos issues.

BTW, I think long haul trucks will lose out to trains in the long run ...

Around one year ago, I almost joined a van manufacturer to head up their electric vehicle division. Nothing as big as a long-haul truck, these vehicles were large vans of between 3.5 ton and 10 ton capacity and a range of between 60 and 200 miles, depending on battery configuration. What made them interesting was the hot-swap battery capabilities and their price to market, which was comparable to diesel vans.

For various reasons it didn't happen then and due to various financial and technical difficulties, the vehicles are still some way off from reaching the market: probably another two years away as things currently stand.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Seems like a natural for garbage trucks with all the low speed operation, stop and go.

And delivery trucks + postal vehicles going from house to house with packages.
And fire trucks staying within town.
And school buses.
And city municipal vehicles doing tree trimming, road repair, etc.
They all go back to a gated compound / industrial parking garage at night where they could conveniently hook back to a charger.

How about pizza delivery?

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/04/electric-truck-can-haul-a-trailer-of-teslas
balqon1.jpg

all-electric-fedex-parcel-delivery-truck-modec-design-built-by-navistar_100310061_l.jpg

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2009/03/31/optare-demonstrates-electric-bus-at-uk-test-track/
scaleimage2-580.jpg

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2009/02/08/tanfield-american-spinoff-to-begin-building-trucks-this-year/
smith-electric-vehicles-newton.jpg

http://www.smithelectricvehicles.com/NewtonFullSpecs.pdf

balqon-mule-150-630.jpg

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/04/alte-wants-to-park-an-electric-pickup-in-your-driveway.html
6a00d83451b3c669e20133ed0e6c8e970b-800wi

As the cost of long haul trucking increases, having local suppliers will again be cost-effective.

Also, reviving the train infrastructure for long-haul might become a lot cheaper than long-haul trucks.

Yes, some jobs will gradually become obsolete.

There is a quiet revolution going on in transportation. I'm going to be doing a program about it soon, looking at how commercial transport is evolving and what that means for the future of transport. What we are seeing is companies working together to provide services to their customers. Often the companies compete directly with each other in the marketplace, but work together in delivering the service. Let me give you some examples.

In the past, if you were a courier company, you'd have your own fleet of delivery drivers. Each driver would cover a geographic area and make between 50-80 deliveries a day. In the process, he might travel anywhere from 80-200 miles. Of course, yours would not be the only courier company on the street - there would be a dozen others doing the same thing.

What we're starting to see now in some areas is the emergence of 'super depots' where multiple courier companies all work from the same depot and the delivery drivers handle deliveries from multiple couriers. In this scenario, each driver would cover a much smaller geographical area, but every time he turns up on a street to make a delivery, he'll make three or four deliveries rather than just one. As a result, a delivery driver will make between 150-200 deliveries a day, but only drive 15-25 miles.

The result is much higher efficiency and reduced numbers of vehicles on the road. From an electric vehicle perspective, it means that delivery drivers could now use electric vehicles as the required range is so much lower.

Another example: engineers. If you were a company that needed a fleet of mobile engineers on the road to maintain equipment, you traditionally used to have your own employed engineers to do the work. Over the course of a year, a mobile engineer may need to travel 50,000-80,000 miles a year in the course of his job, going from one site to the next to fix faulty equipment.

What is more likely to happen now is that you would contract out your maintenance to a maintenance company. Because the maintenance company handles repairs for lots of different companies, they would have far more engineers than any individual company could afford to have, which means a greater density of engineers across the country, shorter service response times and so on. As a result, an engineer is likely to only travel 5,000-8,000 miles a year in the course of his job. In busy cities such as London or Chicago, the engineers might not even have a car - using the subway to get around.

I am convinced that over the next ten years, we're going to see much more of this collaborative working. Think of travelling sales forces or computer technicians, or countless other roles that could be done more efficiently if you cut out the travelling. At some point, I would expect to see that start to have a knock-on effect into the way we view vehicles and the way we use them for our personal use. Long distance journeys will become much rarer than they are at the present.

Some people talk about electric cars as a 'disruptive technology' - i.e. a technology that transforms the way we look at what we do as a society and makes a change: the emergence of the internet is probably the greatest example of this. Disruptive technology can wipe out the existing players in a market with a new generation of products.

There is a lot of debate within the industry as to whether electric cars are a disruptive technology or not. A lot of people think they aren't, because at the end of the day it is just another car and we'll use them in the same way. My belief is that electric cars are a disruptive technology, because we won't use them in the same way, and the way we'll end up using cars will be completely at odds with using gasoline.

One thing I've always thought would be a great idea for big trucks would be to make them with a hybrid drivetrain and then add solar panels over the entire top of the trailer. That way when driving during the daytime they could probably be very efficient. I doubt solar alone could propel the vehicles, but by making them hybrid with solar modules, I bet you could reduce the fuel consumption by half.

garygid said:
How would one get the panels off the top of one trailer
and onto the top of the next trailer?

The idea would be a purpose-built trailer, so the panels would be permanently mounted. The idea would be for companies who have their own fleets of such vehicles that are always pulling the same trailers.

Back