Valdemar
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011

Re: Official BMW i3 thread

Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:17 pm

And pizza-cutter wheels are still ugly :D
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB), -1CB(53.92Ahr)@140k/29mo,
51.1AHr, SOH 80%, 150k miles

9kW Solar

AndyH

Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:52 pm

Saw an I3 in the wild yesterday afternoon - white with black. That's one homely vehicle. <shudder>
"The stupid become extinct."-Bill Mollison
2018 Outlander PHEV
2015 smart Electric Drive (lease ended Feb, 2018)
OpenEVSE Plus DIY

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:53 pm

AndyH wrote:Saw an I3 in the wild yesterday afternoon - white with black. That's one homely vehicle. <shudder>
I think what you saw is what i3 folks refer to as either panda or Stormtrooper...

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

AndyH

Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:09 am

cwerdna wrote:
AndyH wrote:Saw an I3 in the wild yesterday afternoon - white with black. That's one homely vehicle. <shudder>
I think what you saw is what i3 folks refer to as either panda or Stormtrooper...
:shock: I hope not - I like panda stormtroopers! :lol:

"The stupid become extinct."-Bill Mollison
2018 Outlander PHEV
2015 smart Electric Drive (lease ended Feb, 2018)
OpenEVSE Plus DIY

cwerdna

Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:21 am

^^^
Seriously...

Here's one I just grabbed off of someone's post on the BMW i3 Facebook group. Hope he doesn't mind. Some replied in a comment referring to it as a panda. Another person w/the identical scheme posted their pic and someone replied referencing stormtrooper.

Oh yeah... the vehicle pictured is a REx version since it has 2 covers for openings. The one in the front fender covers the gas hole since the gas tank is in the front. Some refer to it as "the flap of shame". :) The J1772 inlet w/optional Frankenplug is behind the rear flap.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

'19 Bolt Premier

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GRA

Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:12 pm

So far, I've seen i3s in white, blue, silver or black. Can't remember if I've seen any orange ones yet. White and blue seem to be the most common to date.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

GRA

Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:59 pm

(OT), Just saw my first i8 in the wild today. Good looking from the front, but what were they thinking with the rear roofline from the side? The car looks like someone left the hatch ajar.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:56 am

The videos posted below are essentially commercials for M&A, but they give some more details on (IMO) how the i-3 design leads all other BEVs on the market today:
...In January, the consulting firm Munro & Associates produced an entertaining video showing how its engineers took apart and reverse-engineered an i3. Now the firm has released a series of short clips of the teardown process, each of which highlights an interesting feature of the innovative EV, from the clever design of its battery pack to the carbon fiber body to the economically-designed interior (you can skip the first minute of each video, a intro segment that’s almost the same for all three)...
http://chargedevs.com/newswire/more-vid ... e-details/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
no condition is permanent

Boomer23
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011

Fri May 01, 2015 11:53 pm

I picked up a fully loaded 2014 i3 with the REx range extender on a 3 yr lease as a replacement for my 2013 LEAF SL that's coming off lease in mid-June. The car looks identical to the white one that cwerdna posted a picture of in his thread above, complete with the 20 inch sport wheels. I thought I'd post a bit about my decision here for those who are interested.

I realize that the i3 is widely considered on this forum to be ugly and overpriced for what it has to offer. I've been reading everything I can get my hands on about the car for the past two years, so trust me, my eyes are open about the reliability and software issues. I'm expecting reliability to be at least something of an issue, so I waited for a very late 2014 build car with some of the early issues taken care of.

I wanted something fun to drive and seriously quicker and better handling than the LEAF, with some up to date electronic safety features and something that would let me travel to and around LA without thinking about range, and for trips up to Santa Barbara and San Diego as well. The reason I chose the BMW was that it's a small, quick, tight steering, light weight little EV. I actually like the styling and I find the carbon fiber construction and suicide doors interesting, besides having SAE DCFC, which is rapidly growing in availability here in So Cal, as well as a range extender that can add 50 or so miles when public charging fails for some reason.

I rejected the Spark and Fiat as too small and low end, the LEAF, Soul, Ford and VW for being too boring, short range and not quick enough, the RAV because I don't want a utilitarian SUV, and the Mercedes because it's heavy and inefficient and lacks DCFC. The Volt has an AER that's too short and I find it claustrophobic and boring. Sorry if I offend you with these comments. It's all about personal choice.

I actually seriously considered a Tesla 70D for two weeks, and I got the OK from the wife, but I found it too big a car for my tastes and for parking, heavy in the corners and the outward visibility compromised. A three year lease on one plus maintenance and increased insurance would have cost me almost three times what the BMW will cost me, and the Tesla's benefits weren't worth enough to me to make that much expense worth paying, especially given that we don't intend to travel very far by car in the next three years, so the Supercharger network isn't a big factor for us. I also never got that "gotta have it" feeling from the Tesla, and I needed to have that feeling if I was going to spend that much.

BMW is really trying to move the 2014s, and the deals are pretty good right now. I'm paying about $450 a month with zero down for a fully loaded car using BMW's optional refundable security deposit program to reduce the interest rate, and I'll get the Calif $2500 rebate. That's only about $30 a month more than my lease payment on my 2011 LEAF, a car with an MSRP $20,000 lower in 2011.

So far, I'm really enjoying driving the car. It's seriously quicker and handles better than the LEAF. I really like the leather and wood interior and the quality of the materials.

And here's the reliability issue raising its head already. I'm going to be really up front about reporting any issues with the car here, if folks are interested. After a week of driving, an error popped up regarding air bags or seat belt tensioning. I took the car to a dealer and it looks like a problem in a main wiring harness. ETA for the part from Germany: ten days. I'm in a loaner 328i sedan right now, but they're trying to get me an i3 loaner as soon as they can. I'll write here further when they get it fixed.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cwerdna

Sat May 02, 2015 12:22 am

Boomer23 wrote:I picked up a fully loaded 2014 i3 with the REx range extender on a 3 yr lease as a replacement for my 2013 LEAF SL that's coming off lease in mid-June. The car looks identical to the white one that cwerdna posted a picture of in his thread above, complete with the 20 inch sport wheels. I thought I'd post a bit about my decision here for those who are interested.
Thanks for your info. Heh. My '13 Leaf SV lease period is ending end of July 2015. Still contemplating whether I want to extend or not (12 month extension w/2 months payment waived), given that I won't be eligible for CVRP as the CVRP/CARB folks reneged. :( The i3 is not on my list of possible vehicles to switch to.
Boomer23 wrote: I realize that the i3 is widely considered on this forum to be ugly and overpriced for what it has to offer. I've been reading everything I can get my hands on about the car for the past two years, so trust me, my eyes are open about the reliability and software issues. I'm expecting reliability to be at least something of an issue, so I waited for a very late 2014 build car with some of the early issues taken care of.
Yep. I find it ugly and it was CRAZY overpriced at the beginning. Yep on reliability. I found it both troubling and somewhat comical.

There seem to be some folks who buy BMWs who seem to expect good reliability or something. They've never been particularly good at that on consistent basis (compared to say Honda or Toyota) when looking at Consumer Reports reliability ratings. Seems like those folks either ignore CR, think CR's ratings are bogus or aren't even aware of CR's reliability ratings.
Boomer23 wrote: BMW is really trying to move the 2014s, and the deals are pretty good right now. I'm paying about $450 a month with zero down for a fully loaded car using BMW's optional refundable security deposit program to reduce the interest rate, and I'll get the Calif $2500 rebate.
That is a LOT better than at the beginning but it still kinda spendy, in my book.
Boomer23 wrote: And here's the reliability issue raising its head already. I'm going to be really up front about reporting any issues with the car here, if folks are interested. After a week of driving, an error popped up regarding air bags or seat belt tensioning. I took the car to a dealer and it looks like a problem in a main wiring harness...
Color me shocked, not. Since you have the REx version, I wouldn't be surprised if you hit at least a couple of these: intermittent CELs, drivetrain malfunction messages, some critical failure (not a flat or blown tire) that leaves you stranded (e.g. drivetrain failure or broken motor mount), serious REx engine issues (I've seen a few reports of those).

I appreciate you being up front. I find it somewhat annoying that some of the folks on i3 Facebook group are BMW fanboys are willing to be WAY too forgiving and some seem to engage in Leaf bashing. After having experienced Japanese cars from at least decent to pretty good reliability (and fairly crappy GM cars before), my tolerance level is fairly low. I have no time for a new hobby of taking my car into the "spa" frequently.

'19 Bolt Premier

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”