TomMoloughney
Delivery Date: 0- 0-2012

Re: Official BMW I3, I8 / megacity EV thread

Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:41 pm

KJD wrote:What is the charge time and amp draw on this little beast ?

Are they going to sell these in all 50 states or is this a CA only car ?

The max the onboard charger can pull is 32amps @240v but as surfingslovac pointed out it will probably end up drawing slightly less like our ActiveE's do. So it should fully charge in 3.5hrs @240v. It will also have DC quick charge (CCS) but it's not known if it will be standard or optional.

It will be available in every state, and also in just about every Country that BMW sells cars in. It is going to have worldwide distribution and they are aiming at selling about 30,000 - 40,000 of them per year.
Tom Moloughney
http://bmwi3.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TonyWilliams

Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:44 pm

TomMoloughney wrote:
KJD wrote:What is the charge time and amp draw on this little beast ?

Are they going to sell these in all 50 states or is this a CA only car ?

The max the onboard charger can pull is 32amps @240v but as surfingslovac pointed out it will probably end up drawing slightly less like our ActiveE's do. So it should fully charge in 3.5hrs @240v. It will also have DC quick charge (CCS) but it's not known if it will be standard or optional.

It will be available in every state, and also in just about every Country that BMW sells cars in. It is going to have worldwide distribution and they are aiming at selling about 30,000 - 40,000 of them per year.
What's the plan for Japan... Frankenplug only, CHAdeMO adaptor, or built in CHAdeMO plug?

TomMoloughney
Delivery Date: 0- 0-2012

Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:57 pm

TonyWilliams wrote:What's the plan for Japan... Frankenplug only, CHAdeMO adaptor, or built in CHAdeMO plug?
Good question Tony. The next time I talk with someone that would know this I'll ask. I would have to assume they either wouldn't equip the cars headed for Japan with quick charge or it would have CHAdeMO. I think individual adapters would be prohibitively expensive, no?
Tom Moloughney
http://bmwi3.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TonyWilliams

Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:08 pm

TomMoloughney wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote:What's the plan for Japan... Frankenplug only, CHAdeMO adaptor, or built in CHAdeMO plug?
Good question Tony. The next time I talk with someone that would know this I'll ask. I would have to assume they either wouldn't equip the cars headed for Japan with quick charge or it would have CHAdeMO. I think individual adapters would be prohibitively expensive, no?
Well, I think it likely would have been much cheaper overall to equip all the cars with CHAdeMO.

Some places (Europe) don't allow adapters.

SanDust

Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:55 am

TonyWilliams wrote:Well, I think it likely would have been much cheaper overall to equip all the cars with CHAdeMO.
I somehow don't think that redesigning the car and adding an expensive charger for the six they'll sell in Japan makes a lot of sense.

Also keep in mind that the i3 has a range extender option, rendering the QC superfluous.

evnow
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303

Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:15 am

I think it makes a lot of sense for all manufacturers to offer both Franken plug & CHAdeMO as options. Let the market decide based on local infrastructure. In the NW it makes a lot of sense to get CHAdeMO.
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

Boomer23
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011

Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:31 am

SanDust wrote:
TonyWilliams wrote:Well, I think it likely would have been much cheaper overall to equip all the cars with CHAdeMO.
I somehow don't think that redesigning the car and adding an expensive charger for the six they'll sell in Japan makes a lot of sense.

Also keep in mind that the i3 has a range extender option, rendering the QC superfluous.
It's a bit early to make the assumption that QC would be superfluous. We don't yet know what the car's performance will be in RE mode. Also, early estimates put the REx option cost at $4k or more. For those who want to go all electric and avoid the cost/complexity/weight/maintenance of REx, QC is a viable issue to consider.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:36 am

="SanDust"...I somehow don't think that redesigning the car and adding an expensive charger for the six they'll sell in Japan makes a lot of sense...
I think BMW just may be aiming for slightly higher I3 sales in Japan, than six...
...In Asia, BMW Group sales soared by 31.6% last year to 491,512 vehicles (prev. yr. 373,613). Mainland China accounted for 326,444 deliveries of BMW and MINI vehicles, an increase of 40.4% over the previous year (232,586). The BMW Group posted double digit growth in several other Asian markets including South Korea (33,500; +22.3%), Middle East (21,314; +14.2%) and Japan (56,607; +18.9%)...
http://www.bmwgroup.com/e/0_0_www_bmwgr ... _2012.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Though, as those sales numbers show, the Question of how will China DC ?, is far more important to BMW, and most other manufactures.
no condition is permanent

SanDust

Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:10 am

Boomer23 wrote:It's a bit early to make the assumption that QC would be superfluous. We don't yet know what the car's performance will be in RE mode. Also, early estimates put the REx option cost at $4k or more. For those who want to go all electric and avoid the cost/complexity/weight/maintenance of REx, QC is a viable issue to consider.
Because BMW is a super premium brand in Japan the range extender will not add anything appreciable to the price. From what I've read the standard i3 in the US will have a range extender. No reason not to make it the same in Japan. A whole lot cheaper than designing a car for a tiny market.

Assuming the range extender does cost $4K, seems like a bargain. IIRC I paid $1500 for a QC. I've used the QC a few times but a range extender would have been 10X more useful.
edatoakrun wrote: I think BMW just may be aiming for slightly higher I3 sales in Japan, than six...
OK. I exaggerated. Sixty! :lol: Seriously they won't sell many of these in Japan. If you just do a simple proportion and use BMW's (overly optimistic) estimates for i3 sales you get a number well under a thousand. Even that seems optimistic to me. Given that Nissan is struggling to sell more than 700 Leafs a month, and the i3 will be more expensive, fifty a month would be exceptional.

On the Chinese market, that's a different standard altogether.

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:37 am

SanDust wrote:
...On the Chinese market, that's a different standard altogether...
Which brings us back to the absurdity of BMW pursuing the SAE standard(s) in the first place.

I can see the real possibility of BMW and the other SAE backers having to build to three (or more! There's still time for the Afro-SAE, South Asia-SAE or South Amero-SAE plug announcements!) regional standards, China, Amero-SAE, and Euro-SAE, While Nissan (if China allows the sale of CHAdeMO BEVs) will only have to build one design that you can use for DC world-wide.

So, most public (non-Tesla) DC chargers in the world in 10 years could have two plugs, one CHAdeMO, and one with whatever is the regional standard.
no condition is permanent

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”