GRA

Re: Tesla Supercharger Network

Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:34 pm

SageBrush wrote:
GRA wrote: "A little".
That is one of the interesting things about Tesla. They often miss their projections by a lot, yet they are a decade ahead of everybody else and the gap is widening by the day.

No doubt they slowed down deployment waiting for the V3 roll-out. If they speed up from here on out I am a happy camper with their decision. And to give some context to Tesla "slowing down," I'll mention that they are up to 12,888 stalls world-wide per the Tesla map today. Or using the supercharge.info tabulation, that works out to about a 42% expansion of the best network by FAR in a year. And now the ENTIRE network is getting an upgrade :D

And there is more: Tesla is pushing out an OTA firmware change that will improve the charge taper in my car.I expect to average 120 kW using the old network and 160 kW using V3.

Here is another context: Tesla increased its world-wide fleet by ~ 30% in 2018. Between the additional deployment of network, speed-up of the system, and improved charging characteristics of the 2170 cell fleet, network utilization will drop by ~ (1.42*1.1)/1.3 = 20%

Tesla rocks.
I suspect the main reason they slowed down deployment was lack of funds, although a shift to urban SCs to handle all the Model 3s that couldn't charge at home also was a factor. Last year they virtually stopped expansion of coverage SCs in the US (and Canada), which is why I-94 has now been pushed back for the fifth? year, I-15 and I-29 remain incomplete as does the Trans-Canadian Highway, not to mention all the off-interstate SCs they've been promising for years.

As to "the gap widening by the day," we obviously have very different views. In most of the world, Tesla's first mover advantage is closing by the day. That's certainly true in the U.S. (EA) and Europe (Ionity etc.) and will soon begin in Canada as well as Electrify Canada starts opening sites.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

scottf200
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2011

Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:38 pm

GRA wrote:I suspect the main reason they slowed down deployment was lack of funds, although a shift to urban SCs to handle all the Model 3s that couldn't charge at home also was a factor.
Did you listen to the below youtube section I pointed out?
scottf200 wrote:Elon said we slowed down the supercharger install a little in anticipation on v3 and now it will be spooled up. URL points to that part of the the Tesla Model Y presentation that mentioned it. (Lot of new (1-2yr) Tesla fans so he went thru history at beginning of Model Y pres).

https://youtu.be/Tb_Wn6K0uVs?t=1462
100K EV miles and 80% EV usage
'17 Tesla Model X 100D 'used' self | RIP '16 P90DL Sig self |
'18 Tesla Model 3 LR kid1 |
'11 Volt kid2 | '16 Volt for wife | '12 Volt kid1's spouse

GRA

Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:36 pm

scottf200 wrote:
GRA wrote:I suspect the main reason they slowed down deployment was lack of funds, although a shift to urban SCs to handle all the Model 3s that couldn't charge at home also was a factor.
scottf200 wrote:Elon said we slowed down the supercharger install a little in anticipation on v3 and now it will be spooled up. URL points to that part of the the Tesla Model Y presentation that mentioned it. (Lot of new (1-2yr) Tesla fans so he went thru history at beginning of Model Y pres).

Nope, my ability to listen to anything is pretty restricted given my hearing loss. Besides, Elon makes lots of claims; some of them are accurate ("funding secured" etc.). Anyone care to take bets on when the Model Y will be out in more than token numbers? Based on their track record I figure we should add a minimum of six months to the time they announced, but maybe THIS time they'll finally get it right.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

scottf200

Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:46 pm

GRA wrote:
scottf200 wrote:

Nope, my ability to listen to anything is pretty restricted given my hearing loss. Besides, Elon makes lots of claims; some of them are accurate ("funding secured" etc.).

[tangent] Anyone care to take bets on when the Model Y will be out in more than token numbers? Based on their track record I figure we should add a minimum of six months to the time they announced, but maybe THIS time they'll finally get it right.
[tangent response] Well that is pretty disappointing and says some more about your opinion based on what information you take in.

1) The kicker here is the Model Y is 75% like the Model 3.
2) Another is that the China factory is built at the China pace and it is making 3s and Ys.
3) Y being built at same factory as batteries. A TMC person in the industry with friends at the Spark facility indicates they are actively getting this going/moving things as necessary.

The big deal to me is they didn't take on big unknowns with the Y and it is so much like the 3. This is a different scenario than the S, X, or 3.

BUT back to the point if THIS thread. If v3 was actively being worked on/out then it only makes common sense that they would put off some SCs so they could get v3s going instead of v2s even at 145kW. After all a major point of v3s is throughput / turnover of SC stalls.

GRA

Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:02 pm

scottf200 wrote:
GRA wrote:
scottf200 wrote: Did you listen to the below youtube section I pointed out?
Nope, my ability to listen to anything is pretty restricted given my hearing loss. Besides, Elon makes lots of claims; some of them are accurate ("funding secured" etc.).

[tangent] Anyone care to take bets on when the Model Y will be out in more than token numbers? Based on their track record I figure we should add a minimum of six months to the time they announced, but maybe THIS time they'll finally get it right.
[tangent response] Well that is pretty disappointing and says some more about your opinion based on what information you take in.

1) The kicker here is the Model Y is 75% like the Model 3.
2) Another is that the China factory is built at the China pace and it is making 3s and Ys.
3) Y being built at same factory as batteries. A TMC person in the industry with friends at the Spark facility indicates they are actively getting this going/moving things as necessary.

The big deal to me is they didn't take on big unknowns with the Y and it is so much like the 3. This is a different scenario than the S, X, or 3.

BUT back to the point if THIS thread. If v3 was actively being worked on/out then it only makes common sense that they would put off some SCs so they could get v3s going instead of v2s even at 145kW. After all a major point of v3s is throughput / turnover of SC stalls.
I feel considerably better about the Model Y's prospects than I did about previous claims, for the reasons you state. Of course, it was only because Elon was told to not be an idiot by members of the board that the Model Y is based on the 3.

scottf200

Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:41 am

June 2019 - Tesla X 100D
-- another adventure in books on the Supercharger network which makes for almost carefree traveling. Some days I've skipped chargers to hit the next one (perhaps then having longer lunch) and other days I hit most chargers on a route to take some short breaks and chill/snack/etc.

- Travel to MT with neighbor sightseeing for a week (Badlands, MtRushM, Beartooth road (11K'), YellowstonePark, Glcr Natl Park)
- Vacation with family that flew in to MT for several days (Glcr Ntnl Park) - charged on my sister's dryer plug
- BC Canada explore during week (until weekend visit below). BC was cool!
- Help WA brother-in-law with electrical in new shop over a long weekend
- Travel back to IL via CO where I visited a sister-in-law and did a little more sightseeing (independence pass (12K'))

Supercharging network is amazing and makes traveling simple with very minor planning required. In a larger battery car (S/X 100kWh) and 145 kW peak charging stops can be flexible as you can skip some or stop at most along your route. (would be same for smaller battery Model 3 (75kWh) and 200+ kW peak charging stops.

[Future travels would be a week shorting or just more travel time with friends/spouse. Looking forward to spouse retiring and exploring the East some].

[FYI, dip above was FW 2018.48 where they must have updated an algo to recalibration. It went back to normal range shortly while it stayed on FW 2018.48.]

Zythryn

Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:08 pm

Holy cow, looks like Tesla has shifted into another gear!
A huge span of Canada is currently under construction.
North Dakota is finally getting their SC built (two under construction now).
Alexandria MN, under construction and two locations in Minneapolis gearing up for construction in the next couple of weeks (one isn't on supercharge.info yet).

https://supercharge.info/map
Previous owner of Prius, Volt, Leaf & Model S
Current owner of Model 3
http://www.netzeromn.com

scottf200

Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:18 am

Zythryn wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:08 pm
Holy cow, looks like Tesla has shifted into another gear!
A huge span of Canada is currently under construction.
North Dakota is finally getting their SC built (two under construction now).
Alexandria MN, under construction and two locations in Minneapolis gearing up for construction in the next couple of weeks (one isn't on supercharge.info yet).

https://supercharge.info/map
Your map wasn't showing so here is one without the current (red dot) active superchargers. I'm looking forward to taking that Canadian route out West.

Zythryn

Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:40 am

Many thanks!!
Previous owner of Prius, Volt, Leaf & Model S
Current owner of Model 3
http://www.netzeromn.com

GRA

Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:32 pm

Gee, they finally decided to put one in Tusayan, only four or is it five years after I suggested the need for one there. I mean, it's only the southern gateway to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon with its 6+ million visitors a year, and has a Holiday Inn Express which Tesla has had an SC relationship with. Apparently they're putting it at the Grand Hotel across the street instead (stayed there once), but whatever works. Still no sign of Kayenta, Kalispell, or Ashfork/Seligman/Williams or I-15 north of I-90 in Montana, and for some bizarre reason Tesla has SCs under construction in Bismarck and Dickenson ND, but still nothing on I-29 through Fargo up to Winnipeg, despite the latter metro area having a greater population than the entire state of ND, and Fargo being the largest city in ND. At least they finally got the Trans-Canada Hwy going, albeit two years late.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”