Add a spare tire!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm trying to run 38psi in the new pair of Michelin energy saver all season tires and 42psi in the almost warn out ecopia tires.
The shoulder of the 2 original ecopia tires is about to hit the wear bars at 60,000 miles, so they won't have the chance to wear out in the middle.

I just don't want to run too much pressure and wear the middle of the tread down.

If you know 40 doesn't wear the middle of the tread I will run 40psi in new tires.

Oilpan4 said:
I'm trying to run 38psi in the new pair of Michelin energy saver all season tires and 42psi in the almost warn out ecopia tires.
The shoulder of the 2 original ecopia tires is about to hit the wear bars at 60,000 miles, so they won't have the chance to wear out in the middle.

I just don't want to run too much pressure and wear the middle of the tread down.

If you know 40 doesn't wear the middle of the tread I will run 40psi in new tires.
Here’s a datapoint from my experience: 40 doesn’t wear the middle of the tread. I’ve pumped mine to 40 since original purchase and after seeing the threads in this forum. The only downside is SLIGHTLY, almost imperceptible for me, harsher ride. My wear is very even.

SalisburySam said:
Oilpan4 said:

Here’s a datapoint from my experience: 40 doesn’t wear the middle of the tread. I’ve pumped mine to 40 since original purchase and after seeing the threads in this forum. The only downside is SLIGHTLY, almost imperceptible for me, harsher ride. My wear is very even.

Agree. This has been an issue for all the years I've been here. The suggested PSI is always too low (although the current 38psi isn't as bad as the original 36) and raising it to 40-42 has, AFAIK, never done harm. Some people go as high as 50psi - which I would not recommend - with no problems (again, AFAIK).

Oilpan-Leftie thanks for the gear lash info. Running 41 PSI in wheels, no noticeable change in ride. Hopefully will alleviate edge wear and even it out. Wife drives heavy regen, uses brakes only for final stop. She drove trucks for awhile and used downshifts to save on brakes. Our trade in for Leaf had 92334 Miles on original brakes and dealer said they were fine and did not need replacement. I figure with her heavy regen we will never ever need to replace our brakes. ;)

Well, I got stuck at work with a flat tire over the weekend and had to take the bus home. Not a big deal but now I have a spare semi-donut from a 2007 Altima (135-90-16). I think I'm going to make something like this http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=14737&hilit=spare so I can carry the spare around with me. I still need to find a jack, tire iron and styrofoam holder thingy for all the parts but I'm sure I can find one in a junkyard nearby. I should have looked at the Altima I took the spare from but I was in a hurry and didn't think of it at the time. The spare is about 12 years old but looks new. I'm hoping sitting in the trunk of the Altima reduced the deterioration of the rubber vs being outside and I did take it slow with the spare mounted.

On the plus side, I found a nice pair of used replacement tires (205/55/16 EcoTopia Plus from a Honda Civic) that match the other two tires on my Leaf and after having them mounted last night I'm back to driving my Leaf. :mrgreen:

Thanks for all the terrific info in this thread. I decided to buy a 2006 Altima donut as a spare and store it in my trunk because 1. I didn't think that I would want to crawl under my car in potential traffic to retrieve it and 2. coming from a Prius, I loved how it stored the spare in the trunk with a hidden compartment to stow essentials. 3. the leaf trunk well is a bit deep and tough for my son to get his goalie bag out of, so putting a platform in will help.

To do this, I made a box with a hinged lid out of plywood to put the spare + the charging cord in. It's not a snug fit, but I'll pick up a mat and cut it so that it hugs the walls so that things won't fall down the sides. It gives me space to store my reusable shopping bags, a basic first aid kit, the charging cord, & the spare.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mLigi1sXvvHiCJcJ6

My spare came out of the same car.
But the one i found had a bad tire, so had to put a new doughnut tire on my spare rim. Luckily I found one for $70 shipped to my door.
Used it twice already and used the sentra screw jack one of those 2 times.
I now have a also full size spare, a leaf steel wheel, no TPMS with one of my old worn out ecopia tires on it.

I just cobbled together a 27" cardboard disk, out of the box that had held a "diversity" lawn sign I had custom-made, to check whether it would be possible to stow a donut standing on edge on the port side of the trunk. It fits with room to spare, and if anything, the diameter is slightly larger than that of a regular Leaf tire.

It may be a while before I can actually afford a donut (I'm still recovering from buying the car).

The general consensus of this thread seems to be that in general, Altima donuts will fit a Leaf; does anybody have direct knowledge of whether that is true of the 2018 model year?

They haven't changed the wheels - the '15 17" Juke rims that fit my 2013 also fit my 2018. The "Leaf II" is actually about 75% "Leaf I." As long as the diameter matches, and you have the right year Altima donut, you should have no trouble.

Is it just me who never uses the spare tire on my car? I've never been in an accident before where I need to replace one of my tires. Usually, I avail of a set once they are worn out.

chinobnvds said:
Is it just me who never uses the spare tire on my car? I've never been in an accident before where I need to replace one of my tires. Usually, I avail of a set once they are worn out.

I change a tire every year or two, lots of nails and other stabby junk on the highways around Texas.

Having dealt with a catastrophic tire failure (on my way to a concert, the evening of October 12, 2014, and thanks to the exposed steel belts and lack of work gloves, I had to get a tetanus shot the next day), and having had to change a tire a few times over the past four decades, I say a compressor and a jar of slime just doesn't cut it. As it is, I had to deal with a slow leak (1 PSI lost every 3 hours), less than a week ago, and if it had gotten worse before I was able to take it to the local America's Tire, the spare would have, at the very least, saved a TPMS stem from possibly getting permanently gummed up.

Ultimately, I ended up going with a product called EZ-Spare Wheel. My experiences with that and with building a trunk rack are in this thread. Whether you go with that or with a donut for a different Nissan, my trunk rack may be of use: it stows and secures the spare, a jack, the handle for the jack, a 4-way lug wrench, two pairs of wheel chocks, and the portable charging unit (better than the factory hardware does!), in about a third of the trunk, while still allowing you to fold down the port rear seat to carry lumber, conduit, or pipe.

Back