jlsoaz
Delivery Date: 10 Oct 2012
Leaf Number: 24218

Re: More listening to customers, less listening to lawyers

Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:38 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:Rich on Seattle FB group had a comment on the "i agree" issue
A reason you need to press the OK button is to authorize transmission of data for the EV Project. Home charging stations were provided free and install costs subsidized along with paying for DCFC inlet for EVP residential participants in exchange for providing data. But the other reason is Washington and other states' consumer protection laws which require the vehicle owner to OK the transmission of data. For example, in Washington, the vehicle owner owns the data and others cannot access except "With the consent of the owner, given for a specific instance of access, for any purpose" or if there is a subscription service. There is some ambiguity in the law and how it covers data transmitted by a person using the vehicle who is not the owner. See http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx ... &full=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
now, why it does not apply to GM? dont know...."home field" bias maybe? :?

ah then again, maybe its Sunday and I have watched too much football :D
Dave, thanks for digging this up. If the Washington state law is indeed the sort of law that's causing this anti-consumer nonsense, then I suggest Nissan make the effort to alter their software such that it will nag every time only for driver-experiences in those states where the laws are that bad, and not nag each time where the law does not call for this ridiculousness. There is great GPS and what-not on-board. It should be do-able, if not easy. Also, as mentioned a few posts back, I also suggest a permanent screen in one of the settings areas where one can change one's response (maybe this is already there).

Basically, I guess when Nissan says ""Sorry, the lawyers are making us do it, and we've done all we can on the matter, and that's that" I do not take their word for it. It seems like too much of a needless fail on top of what seem like otherwise mostly good pro-customer choices.
Former lessee 2012 SL
http://www.pluginamerica.org/surveys/ba ... hp?vid=229
2017-October: bght 2013 Volt
will buy 150+ mile BEV when they become less expensive on used market
opinions expressed are my own

jlsoaz
Delivery Date: 10 Oct 2012
Leaf Number: 24218

Re: More listening to customers, less listening to lawyers

Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:50 pm

jlsoaz wrote: [...]
I am not suggesting this based on my personal distance needs or from a little while of following discussions, but from some years (or decades) of following the EV markets and the back-and-forth comments of folks who have debated these matters. I think there is a market for an 80 range vehicle, but there's a bigger market for a 100+ mile range vehicle. Waiting for battery
[...]
I should amend this to say that I may be susceptible to my own biases and projecting some of my own EV requirements (an 80 mile range highway-capable EV which degrades to 60 miles in a few years is of use to me, but of somewhat limited use), but at the same time I was disappointed when the latest round of OEM EVs came out, generally under 80 miles EPA range, when we all knew that the EV1 and original RAV4 EV had comparatively higher kWh and range. Also, it seems to me that while somewhat shorter distances may satisfy ex-US consumers, this may not be (as high a percent of the time) the case for US drivers.
Former lessee 2012 SL
http://www.pluginamerica.org/surveys/ba ... hp?vid=229
2017-October: bght 2013 Volt
will buy 150+ mile BEV when they become less expensive on used market
opinions expressed are my own

Return to “Suggestions for Nissan”