jlsoaz
Delivery Date: 10 Oct 2012
Leaf Number: 24218

Fix Carwings app on smart phones in US?

Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:06 am

At the Phoenix meeting I don't remember if it was part of the main presentation but I do think I talked about this with one or more people afterward, including both Nissan reps and fellow drivers. We discussed that several of us have had a few basic issues with the cell phone app. The Nissan reps hadn't had any problems but they are using the app in Tokyo and perhaps that has something to do with it?

I was at a restaurant yesterday, waiting for a Blink charge to finish and trying to use my android phone to check the charge status and, unfortunately, it was just useless. I don't think it ever successfully updated, over three hours and several attempts. Could this be my own lack of savvy about cell phones or a bad connection or something else? Absolutely. However, it seemed at the Phoenix meeting that there might be other drivers out there who have had some difficulties with using cell phone/Carwings tie-in here in the US, so maybe it would be an easy win for Nissan to look into this and see if anything can be ironed out?
Former lessee 2012 SL
http://www.pluginamerica.org/surveys/ba ... hp?vid=229
2017-October: bght 2013 Volt
will buy 150+ mile BEV when they become less expensive on used market
opinions expressed are my own

RonDawg
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089

Re: Fix Carwings app on smart phones in US?

Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:56 am

I've only had my Leaf for less than a month, but I have had no problems with the CarWings app on my phone. It updates quickly, gives me an accurate charge status, and when I remotely request to turn on the climate control it does it.

Their web page is a different story. For some reason, when I ask for updates, it takes a LONG time to get them, much longer than on the cell phone app.

I wouldn't rule out a bad cell connection though. Nissan USA uses AT&T Wireless for CarWings, so if their service is spotty where the car is parked, you can expect unreliable CarWings service too.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar at 34 months/26,435 miles. Lease returned 2 months later. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F.
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL.

jlsoaz

Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:05 am

RonDawg wrote:I've only had my Leaf for less than a month, but I have had no problems with the CarWings app on my phone. It updates quickly, gives me an accurate charge status, and when I remotely request to turn on the climate control it does it.

Their web page is a different story. For some reason, when I ask for updates, it takes a LONG time to get them, much longer than on the cell phone app.

I wouldn't rule out a bad cell connection though. Nissan USA uses AT&T Wireless for CarWings, so if their service is spotty where the car is parked, you can expect unreliable CarWings service too.
Thanks, maybe that's the issue. I have a Verizon cell and I guess it takes both AT&T and Verizon to work properly, each time.
Former lessee 2012 SL

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:48 am

Not sure what the topology is. Do CarWings requests from North America have to route back to servers in Japan? Just wondering if response times could be improved if most communication could be kept in the local market through more infrastructure. I have no plans of driving to Japan. :)
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

zarwin

Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:39 pm

I gave up on the official app after the most recent update and switched to a third party app on my Android phone. The app is Leaf Manager and is free (Ad supported with an option to pay to get rid of ads). One thing I asked the developer to do, and they did immediately, was to add the ability to issue commands (charge on/climate on) while the app is going through the login process, so I can pop open the app, click start climate control, and close it without waiting for the stupid thing to finish logging in. Saves a bunch of time...

jlsoaz

Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:44 pm

zarwin wrote:I gave up on the official app after the most recent update and switched to a third party app on my Android phone. The app is Leaf Manager and is free (Ad supported with an option to pay to get rid of ads). One thing I asked the developer to do, and they did immediately, was to add the ability to issue commands (charge on/climate on) while the app is going through the login process, so I can pop open the app, click start climate control, and close it without waiting for the stupid thing to finish logging in. Saves a bunch of time...
Thanks I'll have a look.

If you're finding that a change in apps helps, then maybe this is an indication that the problem (for some of us in the US) is not always the cell phone connection but perhaps (sometimes) in the app itself?
Former lessee 2012 SL

gyathaar
Delivery Date: 17 Jan 2012
Leaf Number: 009107

Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:33 am

Nubo wrote:Not sure what the topology is. Do CarWings requests from North America have to route back to servers in Japan? Just wondering if response times could be improved if most communication could be kept in the local market through more infrastructure. I have no plans of driving to Japan. :)
Actually, I think the requests ARE sent to the Japanese server, and the local servers just filters if you belong to US, Canada, Europe, Australia etc

At least, I, as a European user can log into the Japanese server (either using my leaf manager app, or using the official android app from the Japanese play store), however doing so, will lock me out of logging into the European (iphone) server until my active session with the Japanese server times out (about 2 hours or so).

In Europe they however added a local server that is used by android app, which seems to be local, and independent on the server in Japan (except it keeps the username/password etc in sync somehow)
This server has its own set of data stored for when data was last read from the car, while the iphone server and the japanese server shares the same data.

Dont know if American users also can log directly into Japanese server, but my guess is they can.

jlsoaz

Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:15 pm

gyathaar wrote:
Nubo wrote:Not sure what the topology is. Do CarWings requests from North America have to route back to servers in Japan? Just wondering if response times could be improved if most communication could be kept in the local market through more infrastructure. I have no plans of driving to Japan. :)
Actually, I think the requests ARE sent to the Japanese server, and the local servers just filters if you belong to US, Canada, Europe, Australia etc

[...]

Dont know if American users also can log directly into Japanese server, but my guess is they can.
I don't know the answer as to what signal goes where. If there is some issue of sending data overseas and waiting for a response, then maybe that would explain something. I am recalling a discussion at the Phoenix Town Hall with one of the three Tokyo-based executives. They do drive Leafs but didn't seem as familiar with Carwings issues as I might have thought. I don't want to say they weren't aware of issues but there was perhaps an element of them also using Carwings as drivers, and not have quite the same issues. Perhaps this geographic location difference would explain some or all of the difference?
Former lessee 2012 SL

Stanton
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:25 pm

jlsoaz wrote: If you're finding that a change in apps helps, then maybe this is an indication that the problem (for some of us in the US) is not always the cell phone connection but perhaps (sometimes) in the app itself?
The short answer is: no. While I use the "Leaf Link" app almost exclusively, all roads lead back to CarWings, and it doesn't really matter WHERE the server resides (although it's Japan) as long as the comm links are UP. After all, this stuff travels at the speed of light :geek:
In fact, CarWings response time has been better than ever based on whatever they "fixed" after the (major) CarWings outage a couple of months ago.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:56 pm

RonDawg wrote: I wouldn't rule out a bad cell connection though. Nissan USA uses AT&T Wireless for CarWings, so if their service is spotty where the car is parked, you can expect unreliable CarWings service too.
It would be interesting to get some stats from folks where Carwings does or doesn't work well for them like these:

- smartphone OS platform, version #, carrier, phone model (e.g. iOS 6.1 on AT&T iPhone 5, Android 4.1.1 on AT&T Samsung Galaxy III, etc.)
- Nissan Leaf app version (currently see 2.2.2 on https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nissan- ... 14405?mt=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ssan&hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
- whether AT&T coverage is known to be good/bad in your area (http://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/leaf/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; mentions "CARWINGS™ requires compatible 2G GSM/GPRS cellular network...")
- your geographic area
- specific problems being hit

That would be a lot more actionable than just random problem reports and others saying they have no problem. (I used to test software for a living and always hated bug reports w/insufficient info that we couldn't repro or where we had to take lots of shots in the dark to attempt to repro, sometimes in vain.)

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “Suggestions for Nissan”