Wind Deflector

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ERG4ALL

I would like to see Nissan offer driver and front passenger wind deflectors. These are usually molded plastic and fit to the top of the door window. They allow you to open the window an inch or so for ventilation without a lot of wind noise. This would help to minimize use of the A/C when just good ventilation will do. This could help to increase the range with very little cost.

Good idea for Nissan. But if they don't offer it as an accessory, they are readily available aftermarket.

sorry to be a whiner here - but why not just turn fan on, and not A/C? takes very little power. I very much dislike those deflectors, i think thy look ugly. Definitely would not like to see those standard

johnr said:
Good idea for Nissan. But if they don't offer it as an accessory, they are readily available aftermarket.

Sounds good and simple. I'd go for that option. Fresh air can be nice driving near the coast or an open field.

I wonder what effect they have on aerodynamic drag. Suddenly your waving these arms on the side of the car all the time, might be negative on range.

johnr said:
Please post if you find aftermarket wind deflectors for Leaf. I find lots for Versa but not Leaf, and although my dealer says "the Leaf is an electric Versa", Nissan says otherwise, and the window lines do look a bit different. I want these so I don't have to run the energy-hogging AC/defroster in warm damp weather--a frequent condition where I live.

Brings up a good point. I've yet to find a way to run just the fan (for either the passenger or windshield) without the heat kicking in if it is cold. I'd like to be able to run just the fan without the AC or Heat coming on. I can turn the temperature all the way down to affect this result with the AC button off, but that seems like a very stupid way to have to do it...

hakalautom said:
johnr said:
Please post if you find aftermarket wind deflectors for Leaf. I find lots for Versa but not Leaf, and although my dealer says "the Leaf is an electric Versa", Nissan says otherwise, and the window lines do look a bit different. I want these so I don't have to run the energy-hogging AC/defroster in warm damp weather--a frequent condition where I live.

Stunt822 said:
sorry to be a whiner here - but why not just turn fan on, and not A/C? takes very little power. I very much dislike those deflectors, i think thy look ugly. Definitely would not like to see those standard
I haven't had my Leaf long enough to be sure, but in every other car I've driven, the fan alone cannot keep moisture from condensing inside windows, especially windshield, during a warm, damp rain. A one- or two-inch opening of windows all around does the job, if I keep moving. Wind deflectors keep most of the rain out, even in a cross wind. They are so dorky that Honolulu residents cite them while poking fun at Hilo's rainy weather. I would not want them standard, either.

Great idea, if the weather's nice outside I much prefer to drive with the windows down. This idea would work even better on the Volt. If you've driven a Volt you know it is just about impossible to drive it much past 20 mph with the windows down, the buffeting is just awful. During the Volt early test drive I mentioned this to a GM engineer and she said this is a by product of the Volt's low drag coefficient, great for efficiency but it means you always have to be cooped-up with the wi-dows up.

Please submit a request to Weather Tech for Wind Deflectors/Door Visors.

They are open to hearing requests from customers.
I and a group of other Nissan Owners
have already submitted a request.
All their products are custom fit.

We just need to submit enough requests.

http://www.weathertech.com/service/product-request-form/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$158???? really? these are plastic tape on jobs not gold. :eek: Ebay has them for $28. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Visors-Wind-Deflector-Out-Channel-4pcs-for-10-17-2010-2017-Nissan-Leaf/233081358158?fits=Year%3A2015%7CModel%3ALeaf%7CMake%3ANissan&hash=item3644bb474e:g:pUwAAOSwgb1cMBX~:sc:USPSPriority!84405!US!-1

My question is do they prevent the aweful buffeting?

in answer to the person who said that it is the low drag (presumably meant aerodynamics) that causes the buffeting sorry, but that is totally incorrect. buffeting is changing pressure at a low frequency caused by turbulence. the turbulence is related to the size of the window opening the lack of straight through escape and the convex back window surface. to verify the window size open the window at different amounts and notice the intensity and frequency change. to verify strait through escape open the rear window diagonally from the front one you have open. vary the amout till the buffeting is almost gone. to verify the rear window shape drive with the rear hatch open.

Nissan and other car companies could fix this buffeting with openable vents at the rearmost part of the cabin.

"I wonder what effect they have on aerodynamic drag. Suddenly your waving these arms on the side of the car all the time, might be negative on range."

absolutely no impact on range. the aerodynamics of these are negligable at even high freeway speeds. perhaps at mach 1 you may have an issue but they would tear off before that.

Noticed this old thread about the wind deflectors etc. We live in Florida where evenings are awesome for driving through the neighborhood real slow with the windows down. The pedestrian warning sound the leaf makes ruins the open window drive for us. Wish Nissan could do a software update to turn it off after 8 mph rather than the appx 20 mph.

Next Nissan suggestion would be to enhance Leafs software to regen all the way to complete stop. Now that would be nice. :)

Yep, ePedal is nice. We use the creep mode for close parking. Just seems to give us finer parking control by hovering over the brakes with the left foot and accelerating with the right foot. We do this to get over the hump in the garage entrance and stop the sudden acceleration after going over thereby avoiding unwanted ventilation in our garage back wall. ;)

I spent most of the night reading pros and cons of 0 mph regen. It was overwhelming. Lots of comparisons from many manufacturers, Tesla, Leaf, Bolt, etc. Good reads.

So, I really don't mind to look of wind deflectors and I use them most of the year (Alabama) when I park at work to let the heat escape. I originally put a set of WellVisor deflectors ($49) on and used them the past two years. They looked OK and worked well, but they had little plastic pin holders that kept popping off. WellVisor customer service sent me additional ones, but everytime I washed the car, somehow I always managed to snag one and have it pop off. Finally the past few months the tape started giving way and they would vibrate when going down the road.

Anyway, I was looking for replacements and ordered a set off of Amazon (different company) for about $60. But before I put them on I went ahead and checked japanparts.com for the official Nissan version. Although they were quite expensive ($160 plus shipping from Japan) I went ahead and ordered them (it was my birthday present to myself).

I just got finished removing the old WellVisors and installing the new Nissan one (took about two weeks to receive from Japan, but had good tracking). THEY ARE FANTASTIC! They are much lower profile then the others, they hug the window much tighter and are very clearly much higher quality. Expensive, Yes, but I think they will last the life of the car and really look good. Nissan did a great job with these, it is a shame they are not available from U.S. dealers.

Back