Android as a future upgrade for Leaf's computer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikexilva

Many things can be said about this topic. (Windows vs MAC vs Android vs Meego vs symbian) but I'd like to highlight just some advantages we could have using Android in Leaf's computer:

- Stable and community driven Linux kernel (out of the box support for lot's of hardware like USB wifi, bluetooth, etc).
- User friendly touchscreen interface with gestures (maybe multi-touch) support.
- Android market with 100thousand+ apps, where most are free and many can make efficient use of GPS location services - such as Google Maps with satellite imagery navigation with voice recognition and text-to-speach out of the box.
- Regular updates with new features for navigation, and new operating system functionality.
- Portable wifi hot-spot, allows sharing the internet 3g connection to other wifi devices in the car (iPad, Mobile Phones, etc)
- The list goes on and every day Android goes higher because it proves to be solid.
- Backed by Google and healthy community, not controlled by some evil corporation. ( for instance http://www.zdnet.co.uk/blogs/mixed-signals-10000051/android-as-microsofts-most-successful-mobile-os-and-other-nightmares-10020882/ )

Given the Leaf's green credentials and Google's green vision (they use some plug-in prius in their fleet) I'm sure Google would be happy to collaborate in a project like this... and I would be MUCH happier when choosing a Leaf that would have many new features in future via a software upgrade/replacement.

May be if Google spends the initial money to make an automobile version of Android ? I don't think Nissan should be in the business of adopting mobile OS to run automobiles. That should be done by S/W companies.

Besides, whatever happenned to "we won't do anything evil " Google ? They are trying to kill net neutrality.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1640&start=0

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/technologylive/post/2010/10/google-reports-increased-spending-to-lobby-congress/1?csp=34

Looks like you are just prejudiced against my home town company, Microsoft. I don't see any difference between Google & Microsoft as for as the major relevent issues we are concerned about here - environmental sustainability and reduction of fossil fuel use.

ps : My take on all big corporations is that there are no saints here. I just want to avoid companies that fund campaigns against actions to mitigate AGW or against EVs for corporate/personal gains.

microsofts past exploits are a bit extreme. they fostered an outright lie that caused their competition to go out of business (DR DOS). i am sure that multiple lawsuits have tempered their behaviors but the past is pretty much undeniable.

and like i tunes, google does not spend much for the android market. its independent SW developers who do most of the legwork. soon enough, someone will write something when the demand is great enough. i expect it to be sooner than later

Personally, I can't fathom why any rational manufacturer (or driver, for that matter) would want to put an experimental OS (an "automotive-ized" version of Android/Linux, if one could be cobbled up) into a v1.0 electric car for the masses, given that the car so clearly relies upon the technology to ensure it can be used safely and as intended. Google itself doesn't even recommend Android for tablets yet, let alone cars. Can't see how migrating to Android is an "upgrade" at all. Nor can I see how Leaf consumers would materially benefit.

The last thing we want distracted drivers to do is download (or play with) social media apps on their EV's Googledashboard, while running over pedestrians in the crosswalks.

DaveinOlyWA said:
microsofts past exploits are a bit extreme. they fostered an outright lie that caused their competition to go out of business (DR DOS). i am sure that multiple lawsuits have tempered their behaviors but the past is pretty much undeniable.

The S/W community spent much of 80's (and 90's ?) targetting IBM and were caught unaware by Microsoft. Looks like now they are fighting Microsoft and don't realize the dangers of virtual monopolies that Apple, Google and Amazon are creating. Any company with market power and listed on wall street will use that power to feed the wall street's appetite for ever larger profits and growth. It is sad to see the community always living in the past.

As you can tell from my login name, I'm not unbiased in my view on this. The problem of distractive driving is a very serious one, but at the same time there are great opportunities to improve the driving experience via the development of apps that are specifically designed for cars. By an odd coincidence, I've written several android apps myself, so I'd be interested in looking at this but I'm not in a position to sacrifice my car just to tinker with the OS for six months. The interesting bits to me would involve trying to integrate extra bluetooth protocols, integrating the OBD2 interface (probably read-only), and integrating other sensors like accelerometer and temperature. I suspect that Nissan has already made considerable investment in the software inside the car.

Googler said:
As you can tell from my login name, I'm not unbiased in my view on this. The problem of distractive driving is a very serious one, but at the same time there are great opportunities to improve the driving experience via the development of apps that are specifically designed for cars. By an odd coincidence, I've written several android apps myself, so I'd be interested in looking at this but I'm not in a position to sacrifice my car just to tinker with the OS for six months. The interesting bits to me would involve trying to integrate extra bluetooth protocols, integrating the OBD2 interface (probably read-only), and integrating other sensors like accelerometer and temperature. I suspect that Nissan has already made considerable investment in the software inside the car.

If you did some applications already can you please make or force someone to make the Android version of CARWINGS for the Leaf :)

Thank you ;).

Googler said:

As far as apps go you are 100% correct and and more levels than you mentioned. You are more correct than you may or may not know:) Stay tuned EV people:)

Nissan's first priority is to start delivering a reliable EV.

Once they get that going, new and improved apps, features, software, and firmware will probably become available.

But, we might have to wait for "4 to 7 months" after delivery. :lol:

Googler said:
The problem of distractive driving is a very serious one, but at the same time there are great opportunities to improve the driving experience via the development of apps that are specifically designed for cars.
You mean like Sync & what Leaf has ;-)

The 3rd party apps on the car dash would be an interesting development.

One of the fellows at work has a new Lincoln MKZ with the full Sync and MyFord (or whatever they call it) setup. It is too heavily focused on touchscreen input in my opinion (I'd like more mechanical buttons and knobs) but I AM very impressed with all it can do and how flexible and comprehensive it is. It is a much more impressive system than the Leaf in my opinion.

Back