User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10650
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: Improve the steering feel

Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:32 pm

I guess a year of driving it is not yet enough... It still sucks to me, with a capitol S... I'll give it some more time and see what happens! :lol:
RedLeader wrote:I've noticed that the chassis feel of the Leaf has a lot to be desired of. The steering in particular makes me want to vomit.... at first. After driving the Leaf for several days w/o driving anything else it all seems to come together and the soft, spongy, numb feeling starts to feel comfortable, light and pleasant.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Tesla Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

eHelmholtz
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 10:28 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Aug 2011

Re: Improve the steering feel

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:40 am

TomT wrote:I guess a year of driving it is not yet enough... It still sucks to me, with a capitol S... I'll give it some more time and see what happens! :lol:
Tom, I hadn't appreciated how over-boosted the steering feel on our LEAFs is until I got a Z4 roadster as a longer distance ICE based car; I wonder if the Active E has a more connected feel.

IBELEAF
Posts: 1235
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:23 pm
Delivery Date: 06 Apr 2011
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Improve the steering feel

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:47 am

I seriously don't see what's the big deal with the steering, unless of course you are driving Leaf like it's a sports car, perhaps it's a wrong car choice?
Currently: '12 Volt (12k) since 7/2012
Previously: '11 Leaf SL (w/ 12k miles & 16 month ownership)

mkjayakumar
Posts: 1219
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:13 am
Delivery Date: 08 Mar 2012
Location: Plano, TX

Re: Improve the steering feel

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:49 am

I haven't noticed anything unusual or uncomfortable with the way the steering feels on the highway..

JustinC
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:18 pm
Delivery Date: 06 Sep 2011
Location: Lost Angeles

Re: Improve the steering feel

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:11 am

IBELEAF wrote:I seriously don't see what's the big deal with the steering, unless of course you are driving Leaf like it's a sports car, perhaps it's a wrong car choice?
Granted, it is not a sports car, so it's hard to criticize too much. But considering the LEAF's sporty acceleration, it likes to be driven like a sports car when the family is not in tow. Many of us bought a LEAF not only for the environmental appeal but because we love cars, and this is one of the coolest cars on the road right now.

My last car was an old Porsche and my wife drives a recent Audi. I can tell you that the LEAF is (a lot) faster off the line than both of them, but when I accelerate into a turn, I've got to be careful and compensate for lack of feel in the steering wheel. As one review said, it doesn't feel like it's connected to the wheels.
2011 Black LEAF
Jan 1, 2013 Status = [15 months] [6K miles] [12 Bars]

jkirkebo
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:51 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Oct 2011
Leaf Number: 007344
Location: Fredrikstad, Norway

Re: Improve the steering feel

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:23 am

JustinC wrote:
IBELEAF wrote:I seriously don't see what's the big deal with the steering, unless of course you are driving Leaf like it's a sports car, perhaps it's a wrong car choice?
Granted, it is not a sports car, so it's hard to criticize too much. But considering the LEAF's sporty acceleration, it likes to be driven like a sports car when the family is not in tow. Many of us bought a LEAF not only for the environmental appeal but because we love cars, and this is one of the coolest cars on the road right now.

My last car was an old Porsche and my wife drives a recent Audi. I can tell you that the LEAF is (a lot) faster off the line than both of them, but when I accelerate into a turn, I've got to be careful and compensate for lack of feel in the steering wheel. As one review said, it doesn't feel like it's connected to the wheels.
Yep, it probably comes down to different driving styles. I liked the steering from day 1, but I don't accelerate into turns either. I usually coast before them to slow down some, and generally always try to get the lowest consumption possible. The only times I have used the full 80kW is when doing test drives with others, otherwise the 50kW one get in eco without kickdown is more than enough for normal driving.

I would not appreciate harder steering and suspension.

JustinC
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:18 pm
Delivery Date: 06 Sep 2011
Location: Lost Angeles

Re: Improve the steering feel

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:32 am

jkirkebo wrote:I would not appreciate harder steering and suspension.
Suspension, I agree. I love the ride of the LEAF, and, more importantly, so does my wife.

I don't think the steering would feel "harder" if it was improved. Only more connected to the wheels.
2011 Black LEAF
Jan 1, 2013 Status = [15 months] [6K miles] [12 Bars]

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10650
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: Improve the steering feel

Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:30 pm

I've driven the Active E and it drives like most any other BMW, which is to say, superb road and steering feel. Nissan apparently thinks that Leaf owners want the steering feel of a 1960-1970 GM luxo-barge...
eHelmholtz wrote:
TomT wrote:I guess a year of driving it is not yet enough... It still sucks to me, with a capitol S... I'll give it some more time and see what happens! :lol:
Tom, I hadn't appreciated how over-boosted the steering feel on our LEAFs is until I got a Z4 roadster as a longer distance ICE based car; I wonder if the Active E has a more connected feel.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Tesla Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

User avatar
Nubo
Posts: 5781
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:01 am
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: Improve the steering feel

Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:17 pm

I wonder if a more compliant suspension aids in rolling efficiency?
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10650
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: Improve the steering feel

Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:19 pm

No, if anything excess motion wastes energy...
Nubo wrote:I wonder if a more compliant suspension aids in rolling efficiency?
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Tesla Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

Return to “Suggestions for Nissan”