EVDRIVER

Re: Improve the steering feel

Wed May 02, 2012 5:47 pm

The issue is just the programming on the EPS. Drive a YARIS with EPS and you will see how it should feel at a minimum. The LEAF is a sad system designed for old farts and people that need to drive with one finger and don't understand why feedback is useful and not a bad thing. This is not a sports car thing it's a bad marketing choice and a car made for people that can barely hold their arms up. It's the worst steering feel since the 70's over boosted PS. A simple software tweak would make it feel much better and make the car feel less cheap and more refined. It's sad that many Americans don't get this and have been fed this processed steering like fast food and other marketing swill. Don't get me started on the weak regen which I now suspect is weaker post-firmware update to solve brake issues.

GRA

Thu May 03, 2012 2:12 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:The issue is just the programming on the EPS. Drive a YARIS with EPS and you will see how it should feel at a minimum. The LEAF is a sad system designed for old farts and people that need to drive with one finger and don't understand why feedback is useful and not a bad thing. This is not a sports car thing it's a bad marketing choice and a car made for people that can barely hold their arms up. It's the worst steering feel since the 70's over boosted PS. A simple software tweak would make it feel much better and make the car feel less cheap and more refined. It's sad that many Americans don't get this and have been fed this processed steering like fast food and other marketing swill. Don't get me started on the weak regen which I now suspect is weaker post-firmware update to solve brake issues.
I've never understood why anyone would need or want assist at highway speeds, and for most cars at any speed over 20-30 mph. Off hand, with the exception of one model of Porsche (I think), none of the car mags has had much good to say about the feel/feedback of any car with electric power steering, although the new 3 series apparently isn't too bad.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Thu May 03, 2012 3:33 pm

GRA wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:The issue is just the programming on the EPS. Drive a YARIS with EPS and you will see how it should feel at a minimum. The LEAF is a sad system designed for old farts and people that need to drive with one finger and don't understand why feedback is useful and not a bad thing. This is not a sports car thing it's a bad marketing choice and a car made for people that can barely hold their arms up. It's the worst steering feel since the 70's over boosted PS. A simple software tweak would make it feel much better and make the car feel less cheap and more refined. It's sad that many Americans don't get this and have been fed this processed steering like fast food and other marketing swill. Don't get me started on the weak regen which I now suspect is weaker post-firmware update to solve brake issues.
I've never understood why anyone would need or want assist at highway speeds, and for most cars at any speed over 20-30 mph. Off hand, with the exception of one model of Porsche (I think), none of the car mags has had much good to say about the feel/feedback of any car with electric power steering, although the new 3 series apparently isn't too bad.
The handling of my RX-8 (electric PS) was excellent. But I must say the highway feel was improved when the PS went out due to a faulty connector. Parking without the PS was not for the faint of heart tho. :o
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Thu May 03, 2012 3:43 pm

Hmm... Maybe I'll put a switch on the Leaf to turn off the PS on demand! :lol:
Nubo wrote:The handling of my RX-8 (electric PS) was excellent. But I must say the highway feel was improved when the PS went out due to a faulty connector. Parking without the PS was not for the faint of heart tho. :o
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Tesla Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

GRA

Thu May 03, 2012 3:51 pm

TomT wrote:Hmm... Maybe I'll put a switch on the Leaf to turn off the PS on demand! :lol:

This looks like a job for . . . Bicycle Repair Man!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxfzm9dfqBw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or Phil, who's our closest facsimile. :D
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

TomT

Thu May 03, 2012 6:55 pm

I suppose it is nice to know that Nissan doesn't believe that just the Leaf merits disconnected steering... From a review of the new Infiniti JX CUV:

"Where the JX needs the most attention is in its steering. Designed to be light in the driver's hands, the system goes way too far and feels excessively numb and removed from the front wheels. This was especially disconcerting when going around long, sweeping curves; the driver loses nearly all sensation of control of the vehicle."
2019 Tesla Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

EVDRIVER

Thu May 03, 2012 7:07 pm

TomT wrote:I suppose it is nice to know that Nissan doesn't believe that just the Leaf merits disconnected steering... From a review of the new Infiniti JX CUV:

"Where the JX needs the most attention is in its steering. Designed to be light in the driver's hands, the system goes way too far and feels excessively numb and removed from the front wheels. This was especially disconcerting when going around long, sweeping curves; the driver loses nearly all sensation of control of the vehicle."

That's exactly what happens. It's like steering by rubber band.

TomT

Thu May 03, 2012 7:19 pm

Car and Driver described it as "Remote controlled castors." And apt description I would say.
EVDRIVER wrote:That's exactly what happens. It's like steering by rubber band.

eHelmholtz
Delivery Date: 18 Aug 2011

Sun May 13, 2012 9:01 pm

I put new wheels and tires on to see if steering and handling can be improved. I went with the aluminum Viper (by MB Wheels) 16X7 5-114.3 with a 40mm offset, weight 18 lbs and Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires. I see improvements in handling, cornering, pavement feedback, stop distance, and even the steering response seems better (maybe). Efficiency appeared to be a little less initially but after 1000 miles, it's about the same compared to stock wheels and tires.

Herm
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2012

Sun May 13, 2012 10:10 pm

for that kind of money I would have chosen 3 extra kWh of battery.. but unfortunately there is no choice.

Return to “Suggestions for Nissan”