Port Delivery

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lne937s

It won't do me any good here in NY, but seeing all the people on the west coast chomping at the bit to get their car, I think it would be a good idea if Nissan could let drivers take delivery of their cars at port rather than waiting for their car to arrive at the dealer. Kind of like people who take delivery of their cars at the factory. Maybe not right off the boat (cars would need to be cleared first) but at a nearby pickup location...

lne937s said:
It won't do me any good here in NY, but seeing all the people on the west coast chomping at the bit to get their car, I think it would be a good idea if Nissan could let drivers take delivery of their cars at port rather than waiting for their car to arrive at the dealer. Kind of like people who take delivery of their cars at the factory. Maybe not right off the boat (cars would need to be cleared first) but at a nearby pickup location...

That would be a neat thing to do, but would really take the dealer out of the equation - not sure they would groove on it as I'm sure they would like to meet their customers and get a chance to show off the dealership and the services available there.

In CA, perhaps 1 person would do this, what's the point since you will have a hell of a time driving it home because of range and there is no benefit to port delivery other than being a logistical hassle and an unfriendly environment. It would be better to have delivery at a overseas factory where one could be a tourist for a while and return the car to the factory to be shipped to the US dealer, like BMW & MB do in Europe. Since the Leaf factory is going to Tennessee I would pass on that option but if it were built in Europe I would surely go. How about delivery to my door so I don't have to go to the dealer at all:)

I've taken port delivery of a vehicle before, and cleared it through customs myself (back in the day, when you could do such a thing). It wasn't a massively horrible experience, and the folks from Wallenius Wilhelmsen did their best to make it as good as it could be. So did the Customs agent who helped me clear the car, for that matter. But it definitely wasn't for the faint of heart, and not even close to the experience new car collection from a dealer would be. So put me down as a "no" too.

mwalsh said:
I've taken port delivery of a vehicle before, and cleared it through customs myself (back in the day, when you could do such a thing). It wasn't a massively horrible experience, and the folks from Wallenius Wilhelmsen did their best to make it as good as it could be. So did the Customs agent who helped me clear the car, for that matter. But it definitely wasn't for the faint of heart, and not even close to the experience new car collection from a dealer would be. So put me down as a "no" too.

So have I for a couple EV's I imported but the gen pop would never want this.

stanley said:
Do you guys think that one could import on of Renaults good looking EV`s?

I can tell you right off that you won't get one past customs because of US crash requirements. There are loopholes if you know them but the simple answer is it is not worth the time, effort, and money.

I'd settle for videos on the Nissan News site of them driving the LEAFs off the ship to the prep location. Anything to fill in the months more of waiting.

lne937s said:

Yeah, no thanks.
The port is a noisy bustling place, and not kind to visitors. You may not want to see how the sausage is made.

I'd much rather take delivery near home, in a relaxed dealership, after the car has been properly peeled of protective plastic, cleaned, checked over, with the floor mats in place, ready to drive. I'd like to do my paperwork in a clean air-conditioned office, near a coffee machine and restrooms. If there are any discrepancies or issues with the car, I'd like to be near an expert, sales manager, and service bay.

Now, if the factory was set up to handle tourist visits and deliveries in Oppama, then yeah! But there's now way I'm going up to Port Hueneme, in Oxnard to get my car a few days early.

garygid said:
Even if it made the difference of getting a $5000 rebate or not?

I don't understand.

My whole intention to lease a Leaf is predicated on the $5000 rebate. No rebate, no sale.
Has nothing to do with port or dealership delivery.

GroundLoop said:
I don't understand.

My whole intention to lease a Leaf is predicated on the $5000 rebate. No rebate, no sale.
No, I don't understand. The $5000 CA rebate isn't factored into the lease. You can't even apply for the rebate until after you have the car. So how do you plan to make your decision to lease predicated on the rebate?

planet4ever said:
GroundLoop said:
I don't understand.

No, I don't understand. The $5000 CA rebate isn't factored into the lease. You can't even apply for the rebate until after you have the car. So how do you plan to make your decision to lease predicated on the rebate?

I thought the lease just saw the $7500 federal credit go to the leasing company (and off your monthly payment). I didn't know that the $5000 CA credit could also factor in - so I'm interested in being educated here. (I'll admit that I didn't read every post in every lease thread, so this could well have already been beaten to death)

garygid said:
Right, only the "earlier" EF deliveries will get the CA $5000 Rebate. After that, the CCSE will run out of money.
Correction: Even after the CCSE runs out of money you will probably get your rebate, just not as soon. Remember that the program is approved through 2015, and new money will (probably) come in every year. They have told us that applications will be put on a waiting list if the funds are not available. With the CA Senate, Assembly, and Executive run by Democrats, I doubt if the rebate will be rescinded.

LakeLeaf said:
I thought the lease just saw the $7500 federal credit go to the leasing company (and off your monthly payment). I didn't know that the $5000 CA credit could also factor in - so I'm interested in being educated here. (I'll admit that I didn't read every post in every lease thread, so this could well have already been beaten to death)
I don't think there's an official way to factor the California $5,000 rebate into the lease. Unless the dealer will allow you to add $5k toward the lease capital reduction in anticipation of receiving the check, but I highly doubt that, because the leasing company is NOT the dealer, and the dealer would have to "float" the $5k.

As to a decision making process ... you can apply as soon as you have the VIN, and the date on your lease (i.e. delivery) needs to match the day of application with CCSE or earlier (i.e. you can apply whenever you want AT or AFTER taking delivery). You can look up the funds status on the CCSE website and take a gamble that the then currently available funds wont run out prior to them receving your application. Upon application receipt, CCSE will "reserve" the $5k for you. The processing and receipt of the check could take several weeks.

Edit: just saw planet4ever's response above mine. Yes, there should be additional funds added ($5m) "soon", and the new process is more "friendly" to those expecting their $5k. But my answer does not rely on that. (And CA could run out of money ... etc etc)

planet4ever said:
GroundLoop said:
I don't understand.

The $5,000 isn't factored into the Lease payments, but it's factored into my own cost/value equation.

If the car arrives, and the CA rebate is not funded, I won't lease the car. I hope that's not too surprising or confusing. Further, I expect there are other buyers like myself.

So, the morning I go to take delivery (whenever that is, since Nissan isn't saying), I will check the CA Rebate page, and see how many rebates remain. If this is zero or very close to zero, then someone else can have my Leaf.

For Jan/Feb deliveries, this doesn't seem too risky. If the fund gets replenished, then we may get further into the year. But if Nissan misses the window and the car arrives at $5k more than I'm planning, then no sale.

GroundLoop said:
planet4ever said:
GroundLoop said:
I don't understand.

The $5,000 isn't factored into the Lease payments, but it's factored into my own cost/value equation.

If the car arrives, and the CA rebate is not funded, I won't lease the car. I hope that's not too surprising or confusing. Further, I expect there are other buyers like myself.

So, the morning I go to take delivery (whenever that is, since Nissan isn't saying), I will check the CA Rebate page, and see how many rebates remain. If this is zero or very close to zero, then someone else can have my Leaf.

For Jan/Feb deliveries, this doesn't seem too risky. If the fund gets replenished, then we may get further into the year. But if Nissan misses the window and the car arrives at $5k more than I'm planning, then no sale.

So it sounds like the $7500 fed tax credit isn't enough? You feel that the LEAF isn't worth around $25K or you just can't afford it without the extra $5K? You Californians are so fortunate to get that extra rebate. So far, we receive no rebates or tax exemption. However, we may be able to catch up eventually with our registration and licensing. Since I bought my Honda Civic GX, they've changed the fee schedule. Now, it is 1% of the factory list price (FLP) the first year, then a 15% depreciation for the subsequent years. But, if you paid for two years at a time, there is a pretty good reduction and that could reduce the total cost quite a bit. So after ten years (based on one-year renewals), our fees would be around $70/yr. The minimum fee is only $5/yr. That would be a pretty old vehicle! :lol:

Back