2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?

EVDRIVER

Re: Street Smart in San Diego

Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:48 pm

smkettner wrote:
ttweed wrote:
evnow wrote: We have discussed this before - may be in April. Esp. the idea of pushing the shifter back to move forward ! They should change the paradigm in gen 2 ...
That doesn't bother me at all. The shifter is well-marked and it will become second nature in a short time to pull it back to go forward, IMHO. Driving this car will be so different than others that we will be learning a lot of new habits. Besides, it is not counter-intuitive to me to pull back to go forward, as this is how upshifts are accomplished in my sequential-shifting race car.

TT
I cannot figure why Nissan even put that bulky shifter in the console.
Just touch a switch on the dash somewhere and I would be good to go.
I guess it is expected but that space could be used for something else.
Because the Leaf was meant to make everyone feel like its a regular car. This was a bit overboard, EVs should not mimmic cars they should set new standards, just like the people that fear adjustable regen and anything new. Even Think changed their design, it's all part of "not too much change" or it will scare people from buying. I agree, it's quite a bit of wasted space but it's "safe"

walterbays
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Re: LEAF's Shifter Knob is backwards

Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:56 pm

bruceha2000 wrote:
Azrich wrote:
All cars with a center gearshift are "backwards".
But why can't the LEAF be different, more intuitive?
EXACTLY!!!!!! I'm sure a lot more people are confused by pushing it forward to go backward and vice-versa than there will be people who say 'Gee, the 1960's European sports cars had reverse left and up and first left and down so that is what I want on every car I own in my lifetime.
It's the same reason the keyboard you're typing on is as difficult to use as is possible. Your keyboard isn't trying to be compatible with an 1873 mechanical mechanism. It's compatible with last year's keyboard which was compatible with the one before, and so on back to 1873. Likewise the Leaf shifter is compatible with the shifter of last year's ICE car automatic transmission, and so on back to the early manual transmissions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QWERTY
7/00 Dodge Intrepid - 18 MPG - gas $1.72
10/04 Toyota Prius - 35 MPG - $2.40
8/30/10 reserved - $3.09
2/22/11 ordered red SL ETEC - $3.56
3/15/11 delivery est. May - $3.95
4/29/11 delivery est. June - $4.20
2.9 kW PV: >100% of power needs, pre-Leaf

LEAFfan
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855

Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:29 pm

LTLFTcomposite wrote:Every time I see one of these threads where people think this or that should be improved I start to worry somebody from Nissan will see it and decide to slip the schedule redesigning stuff.

From everything I've seen Leaf 1.0 is perfect just as it is. As long as they didn't put the gearshift on top of the roof I'll figure it out. I'm looking forward to getting mine in December or as soon as possible thereafter - the last thing anyone wants is another Aptera debacle.
Speaking of Aptera, I would have put down a deposit, but it would have been many years before they arrived in AZ. I could have lived with a two seater, which I have now anyway.

smkettner
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014

Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:40 am

bruceha2000 wrote:
evnow wrote:A switch on the dash - that can't be hit by accident is what we need.
Just like the Prius Gen II :)
Prius? Chrysler Imperial had a push button transmission back in the early '60s or late '50s. The buttons were right up on the left side of the dash.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:00 am

Almost every car shifts up or forward for Reverse, right?

But, after a year, I still get R/D shifting mixed up on my Prius. If not looking, I tend to pull back to back up, and push forward to drive forward.

The "better" keyboard was so good it was banned from competition!
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2010 Prius
2011 LEAF, 2014 Tesla S85
2018 & 2019 Tesla Model 3
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
Craigslist: Xm5000Li Electric Motorcycle

Yodrak
Delivery Date: 12 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 402954

Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:51 am

Interesting discussion.

If one thinks about it, it's incredible how many new things have been made to work like the old things they replaced. Because people are creatures of habit. We still 'dial' telephones, and they still 'ring'. We still 'type', and on QWERTY keyboards as walterbays points out. For how many years did automobiles look like the wagons they gradually replaced?

Habits can be changed, but it takes time and consistency. No matter how intuitive it may be to push a button forward to go forward, and pull it back to go backwards, habit will cause the majority of people to do the same thing with the button that they do with their automatic shift lever. Especially if they're in a 2 car family and switch back and forth between cars with shifters that work in opposite directions.

Can we have a show of hands of people who have driven in countries where people drive on the left side of the road, and who despite paying constant attention to what they're doing have never turned into the wrong lane and had to make a rapid adjustment? Now imagine jumping into your car in a mall parking lot, cell phone to ear, and ramming into the car in front of you as you look behind you to see if the lane is clear. Being a safe driver you've already put the cell phone down to back up, but not before you hit the 'start' button and pushed the shift button in the wrong direction while still engaged in conversation. Or you rush out of the convenience store anxious to get home after work having bought the tampax your wife is in a panic for, only to ram through the store window because while your concious mind was on getting home your subconcious mind pushed the shifter in the same direction you've moved it for the last 30 years.

Trial lawyers would have a field day with an auto company that made a shifter work in the opposite direction from what we have all become habitually used to.

But I do like having the shift lever in my wife's Odyssey up there on the dashboard right next to the steering wheel! I can go along with moving the Leaf's shift button up there as well. Just have it work in the same 'backwards' way so that I don't accidentally drive out of my garage into my kitchen some day.

walterbays wrote:
All cars with a center gearshift are "backwards".
But why can't the LEAF be different, more intuitive?
It's the same reason the keyboard you're typing on is as difficult to use as is possible.
Khun Yodrak
2013 SL

LakeLeaf
Delivery Date: 04 Aug 2018

Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:27 am

garygid wrote:Almost every car shifts up or forward for Reverse, right?

But, after a year, I still get R/D shifting mixed up on my Prius. If not looking, I tend to pull back to back up, and push forward to drive forward.
Yes! Thankfully Toyota was kind enough to include that really loud obnoxious backup beep so you can tell which direction you are about to go in. Sure hope the corresponding sound on the Leaf is loud enough to keep me from "backing" through the front of the garage.

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:16 pm

Prius backup beep is INSIDE the car, LEAF beep is (only?) OUTSIDE (if the "noisemaker" switch is ON).
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2010 Prius
2011 LEAF, 2014 Tesla S85
2018 & 2019 Tesla Model 3
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
Craigslist: Xm5000Li Electric Motorcycle

LEAFfan
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855

Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:05 pm

garygid wrote:Prius backup beep is INSIDE the car, LEAF beep is (only?) OUTSIDE (if the "noisemaker" switch is ON).
Let's hope they are smart enough to leave us the switch. :)

Return to “Suggestions for Nissan”