PLEASE LET US ORDER NOW NISSAN ALL ACROSS THE U. S. A.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOPCATLEAF

:!: PLEASE LET US ALL ORDER NISSAN!!!
I am in North Carolina and have waited a long time already to order my Nissan Leaf. I have not seen one yet or been able to test drive one. There is a lot of information out there about this innovative new product. I am sitting here on my hands with money in the bank itching to pay cash for my new Leaf. The best we seem to hear from Nissan is that maybe in the fall North Carolina will be extended the opportunity to order. This does not make sense to me. Of course the problem is the supply, not the demand for the car. However, Nissan management needs to understand they have done a fantastic job putting their product out to the public and now is the time to go ahead and take orders from anyone who wants to order. I am not buying a Chevy Volt. I have watched the progress on the Chevy Volt for about 5 years and finally got fed up totally with all the hype and still no car to buy. I am beginning to wonder if Nissan intends the same treatment of folks like me itching to buy the Nissan Leaf. ALONG WITH THOUSANDS OF OTHER FOLKS IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA I SAY LET US ORDER NOW NISSAN! TOPCATLEAF

It would be Nice to see them do that. It will be awhile for us up here in the Northeast also. I am also looking at the Mitsubishi iMiev but while it will come to CT in the first group, it won't be till Spring 2012! And I know its Not a Leaf. I was on the bandwagon for the Volt also, but I didn't Trust GM to do the right thing and ofcourse they didn't with the Volt.

So if its any consolation, you are not alone!

Sincerely,

Kevin in CT
2006 Honda Civic Hybrid 81k miles
2003 Honda Civic Hybrid sold with 50k miles

Hang in there. We got our LEAF in March. Just this last weekend we had a party and I took two LEAF loads of guests for a demo ride. They all knew very little about the LEAF and were amazed at 1)How nice the interior is, 2)How quiet the car is, 3)How quick the car is, 4)How little it costs to run it, 5)The incredible displays and back up camera, 6)How little maintenance there is. Our average errand running is 50 - 55 miles per trip. We are able to run whatever climate control we want, keep up with traffic on the highway, and still have about 20 miles left. All of that is with an 80% charge and a driving style that gets us 4.5 miles/kWh. It's a great car and worth the wait.

TOPCATLEAF said:
:!: PLEASE LET US ALL ORDER NISSAN!!!
I am in North Carolina ... TOPCATLEAF

Assume you are not in Raleigh or Charlotte area? if so the Focus EV may be an alternative to get before the end of 2011 (but of course nothing new from Ford) -- as Chicago is also one of the launch cities along with Raleigh and Charlotte, NC that's my own best hope to see something from a major car mfg. by end of year; looks like there may be several in 2012 (including possibly the LEAF) but no timeline as of yet --- luckily nothing is really pressing me to switch as the EV will replace an ICE that is not already on its last legs but that could always change.

Welcome to the forgotten 36 states not on the 'list' --

I really appreciate the replys and feedback and it is helpful to me. I am near Asheville area in North Carolina and wondering if anyone has any idea of the plans in NOrth Carolina for initial launch areas for the Leaf. One question I cannot get answered by Nissan is the initial choice of dealer. I am just signed up and have not been allowed to order at this point and they have a dealer showing just over the N. C./S. C. state line in Greenville, South Carolina which makes no sense to me and they will not let me change it. Having watched the debacle of the years drag on GM VOLT taking forever I am already beginning to smell a rat with the Nissan Leaf. Soon it will be time for the 2012 Leaf to appear and I am wondering if the truth MIGHT just be that the Nissan folks are not letting folks order because there is about to be a big price increase. We all know the $7500 tax credit is set to expire on Dec. 31, 2011 and it looks like to me and a lot of other folks here locally that Nissan is just refusing to take orders because they are planning a big price increase on Leaf with the introduction of the 2012 model and they do not want to lock in the price on the 2011 models for us NOW!!!! It is just a bit fishy isn't it? This business of always saying everything "in the fall" as Nissan says. WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK ABOUT IT? TOPCATLEAF

TOPCATLEAF said:
... We all know the $7500 tax credit is set to expire on Dec. 31, 2011 and it looks like to me and a lot of other folks here locally that Nissan is just refusing to take orders because they are planning a big price increase on Leaf with the introduction of the 2012 model and they do not want to lock in the price on the 2011 models for us NOW!!!!

I missed the Dec 2011 deadline when I looked at this tax rule. I was focused on the part where it says this will be phased out in the quarter after the quarter a manufacturer reaches sales of 200,000 vehicles. This link shows what is on the federal web site. http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/laws/law/US/409

I can't imagine it won't be extended. Mr Obama is trying to make this a rebate received at time of purchase instead of a tax credit. If this is not extended in some form I will have to resign myself to not have a LEAF because I could never aford a $32,000 to $34,000 car.

The dealers are trained, the cold package is available ..........

The production line is pumping out cars........... the economy is rough.....
gas prices while very high have leveled off......

they pulled some additional orders from tier 1 ......

all this adds up to : tier 2 orders soon

I think they will still follow the plan on the rollout, but are accellerating the process

I hope I am correct :cool:

I am going to go see my local (NH) dealership on Saturday to see what they know about the LEAF. Though I am hoping to move to Georgia before winter.

See my post in the "when will tier 2 finally get to order?" thread. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3942&start=10 For information I received from Customer Service yesterday.

And when I am in Georgia next month I will visit a dealership there to see what they know.

I would think its unlikely a Nissan dealer in NH will have any useful info at all

you may want to save yourself the frustration of explaining you want " a LEAF "

not " a LEASE " :roll:

As in : " sure what type of Nissan would you like to lease sir ? "

I will also add to this discussion, that even with $4.25 a gallon gas, that most people I talk to (apprx 99%) have no clue about electric cars and want nothing to do with one.
they know what a Leaf is, they know what a Volt is but dont know how they work,,,,.
eg they think that when the Volt runs out of battery power you are stuck.... they miss the whole point of the car.

MY point is: real true demand is lower than we all think at this point, and the cars are being built quickly even with the earthquake disaster...........
rough housing and jobs market, economy

it all adds up to fewer people being able to lay out 30k for a new type of car.....
an experiment. I count myself lucky as I can make this purchase , but I wonder how many like me could there be?

Tier 2 orders will happen sooner because of all this, sooner than the "late fall" or whatever they said

LOL kmp... You are probably right about the NH dealership, but they do show as LEAF certified on the LEAF web site and I know the owner of the dealership from business dealings several years ago. I'll wear my LEAF shirt with my reservation number on it and see what they have to say. I'll let you know if it was useful or a complete waste of time.

:)

You got cash ready?

Get on your pickup and drive to California, meanwhile people on this board can start searching for orphans and advise you as you get closer.. come on people lets help him!

Not sure you can rent a tow dolly in CA, perhaps you may need to bring one?.. drive safe and dont ever speed when you are towing.

Dont hold your breath on the Focus, I think its vaporware.

Regarding affordability, keep in mind that if you drive 12,000 miles per year with a 20 mpg ICE car, the LEAF can save you about $200 per month in fuel cost not to mention oil changes, filter changes, tune ups, etc. Factor that into your monthly payment and it might make it more doable.

Ford is in " wait and see mode "

information blackout mode

No way production will begin this year

The Leaf is still the only game in town.

I agree! The Focus is vaporware.

Maybe I should consider looking for an orphan in TN! It is a little closer than CA. Not that I wouldn't enjoy meeting up with you CA folks. I may even be able to get one of my brothers-in-law (in car business) to transport it with some of his auction cars.

If my house isn't sold by September I'll refinance it and pay off my credit cards then I can afford to finance the vehicle. I guess CA is the wrong place to look for buyers for a house in NH. :)

Herm said:
You got cash ready?

Get on your pickup and drive to California, meanwhile people on this board can start searching for orphans and advise you as you get closer.. come on people lets help him!

Not sure you can rent a tow dolly in CA, perhaps you may need to bring one?.. drive safe and dont ever speed when you are towing.

Herm said:
You got cash ready?

Seriously, if you have a friend in any of the 5 starter states, you could have them buy an orphan for you, apply for the rebate and do a few work arounds, just don't let them drive it for long, they probably won't want to let it go once they realize how peppy it is and how cheap it is to fuel :D . I don't think there is any way they can keep Leaf's in the state of origin. they want them in the state of origin to provide sustainable demand for the, dealer support, charging system, EV project etc. but if supply is adequate in those states for export, by all means!

I have wondered if all the nit picking and whining on this and other boards isn't actually sending the wrong message to corporate... all in all, the gripes mostly boil down to people wanting one and not getting one as fast as they would like and wanting to put pressure on Nissan to step it up or new owners getting to know this new technology and finding little things they would like to be better. It sounds a bit like all the griping has scared away some customers and is possibly leading to Nissan cutting production... don't point the gun at your own foot folks! Spewing negativity on boards like this can truly have a very powerful effect and sometimes unintended consequences.

If you are impressed overall with the product that Nissan has gone so far out on a limb to produce, now would be a very good time to show it!!!! Trust me, there are probably those within Nissan who are very leery of negativity and will put the breaks on this if there is enough pissing and moaning. I'm not suggesting we should suppress real complaints, I just think we should make an effort to keep them in perspective and in proportion with the overall experience, which for me so far has been outstanding.

If you feel the love, don't be afraid to wave the flag a little!!!

g

We've demo'd ours at two local events so far and we will again this coming Saturday. I've put together an eight page binder that supports the claims for those doubting Thomas'.

Super!! Any chance your eight pages are in electronic form that you would be willing to share?

ERG4ALL said:
We've demo'd ours at two local events so far and we will again this coming Saturday. I've put together an eight page binder that supports the claims for those doubting Thomas'.

GaslessInSeattle said:
It sounds a bit like all the griping has scared away some customers and is possibly leading to Nissan cutting production... don't point the gun at your own foot folks!
I doubt the griping has scared customers away, since virtually none of the complaints are about the operation of the car once you get it.

Spewing negativity on boards like this can truly have a very powerful effect and sometimes unintended consequences.
This I would agree with, although Nissan brought some of it on themselves with the way they handled the problems. That seems to have changed recently with the involvement of the execs above CS in problem cases. Hopefully in the next couple of months those with excessive wait times will get their cars and things will go more smoothly in the future.

I want to thank everyone for all the posts. I am realizing more each day what a wonderful product the Leaf is and I am SOLD without every driving one or seeing it in person. It seems very likely to me I may be driven out of the market by the price increase of the 2012 model and it appears very unlikely N. C. will be allowed to order and confirm a 2011 price. Even now, as a retiree, I cannot really take advantage of much of the current $7500 tax credit. It would mean more to Nissan 2012 sales than anything else if the tax credit was not only extended, but turned into a dealer tax credit which would mean it would come of the top of the price at the dealer. As it is now you pay full price and then file next year with the IRS and what you really get is determined by income bracket. For most folks who look at any car purchase it is a MAJOR consideration. I will buy and not consider a lease so what that price increase is for the 2012 model and the disappearing tax credit means a lot to my final decision. I WOULD GUESS THIS IS TRUE FOR ALMOST EVERYONE. I WILL USE MONEY FROM RETIREMENT SAVINGS. I do not drive a lot of miles each year. I WILL DEEPLY APPRECIATE OTHER OPINIONS ABOUT THIS TAX CREDIT BUSINESS AND I HAVE CONFIRMED FOR MYSELF THAT AS IT NOW IS IT EXPIRES ON DEC. 31, 2011. DOES EVERYONE AGREE WITH THAT? THE ORIGINAL 200,000 SALES FIGURE DOES NOT SEEM TO BE THE KEY FACTOR AT THE MOMENT. PERHAPS THAT WILL CHANGE.......?????? TOPCATLEAF

Back