Better suspension

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drnel said:

I disagree.
I actually think they did an excellent job of great handling and providing a smooth ride.
I think sometimes the electric power steering is not providing enough tactical feedback.
But I don't think the suspension can really be much improved upon.

Danny

Lots of suspension possibilities discussion already covered in this thread:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2675

No parts available yet that I know of.

Drnel said:
fromport said:
I disagree.
I actually think they did an excellent job of great handling and providing a smooth ride.
It's good that the stock suspension suits you fine. It's not good for me at all. It needs to be better controlled: firmer springs, firmer dampers. A bit of lowering would be nice as well, though that's not important to me.

I thought you guys wanted a softer suspension!, no idea you wanted to autocross it .. the reviews of the new 2012 Versa that is coming out today also mention the over assisted power steering.

Herm said:
I thought you guys wanted a softer suspension!, no idea you wanted to autocross it ..
I'll probably do an autocross or two in the LEAF just for giggles... But no, I'm not really looking to make a pig into a race horse. Just a very fast pig. :D Seriously, I don't feel good driving a car that I know will not behave well in emergency situations. I've always preferred a more confidence-inspiring chassis over a comfortable one, so I am very interested in alternate suspension set-ups.

mogur said:
More damping in the rear would be a good start as well as about a 1" lower ride height... The steering feel sucks, so that improvement is a given.
While these are minor issues for us, I also wouldn't mind more damping in the rear and heavier steering with more feedback. With a couple hundred pounds or more of cargo in the trunk, the suspension moves around a little more than I'd like. Again, this is only a very minor issue for us.

However, we like the current ride height and would not want it any lower. Our Prius is lower and is sometimes hard to avoid scraping. Plus, we sometimes park on streets with tall curbs, and like being able to open the passenger door!

Yeah, I'd be quite happy, really, with just stiffer shocks in the rear and a software upgrade to improve the steering. That would be cheap, easy to do, and make a noticeable improvement.

abasile said:
mogur said:
More damping in the rear would be a good start as well as about a 1" lower ride height... The steering feel sucks, so that improvement is a given.
While these are minor issues for us, I also wouldn't mind more damping in the rear and heavier steering with more feedback. With a couple hundred pounds or more of cargo in the trunk, the suspension moves around a little more than I'd like. Again, this is only a very minor issue for us.

However, we like the current ride height and would not want it any lower. Our Prius is lower and is sometimes hard to avoid scraping. Plus, we sometimes park on streets with tall curbs, and like being able to open the passenger door!

Summer tires are available for Europe models. Go to Europe and buy a set! They do improve the grip noticeably.

kovalb said:
Summer tires are available for Europe models. Go to Europe and buy a set!
Is tirerack.com considered "Europe"? :D They have Bridgestone Ecopia in "Grand Touring Summer" flavor.

kovalb said:
They do improve the grip noticeably.
Just curious: how do you know that? I have not been able to find a head-to-head performance comparo test of the Ecopia 422 Grand Touring All-Season tires (what's on the LEAF) versus the summer ones.

Back