leafydragon
Delivery Date: 14 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 010464

Dashboard display suggestions

Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:34 am

1. Don't really care for the growing trees indicator, especially if there is no explanation of what exactly it indicates. I don't think it represents the simple sum of regenerative braking energy right? (This is like the "leaf" icons in Toyota Prius.)

2. The big "bubble-style" instantaneous power display... I would prefer a simple pointer (or growing bar) on a graduated scale. (More similar to the "pie-style" energy monitor in the NAV multi-display.) With a smaller numeric display. (e.g. "23 kW") The big power display could also show the contribution from climate control and 12V accessories.
The present bubble-style power display isn't well labelled... A "recycle"-like symbol at the regen end, and "POWER" marked on the right side? I would suggest a bar that grows either side from the zero point, green when it grows left, and white when it grows right.

3. The remaining range meter... I understand the limitations of predicting range without knowing in advance the driving conditions, so I suggest the range number should be de-emphasized.
The main focus should be SOC (confounded by gradual loss of capacity) or maybe remaining kWh, or remaining percentage of 24 kWh.
And/or show a few different range figures based on last 1 km / last 10 km / last 100 km. (or make it user configurable).

existing: Image

my suggestion: Image

garsh
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2012

Re: Dashboard display suggestions

Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:03 am

leafydragon wrote:1. Don't really care for the growing trees indicator
I completely agree. I hope this can completely go away.
2. The big "bubble-style" instantaneous power display... I would prefer a simple pointer (or growing bar) on a graduated scale.
Again, I agree. The one useful piece of information that your example display is missing is the current regen and power limits (single vs. double bubbles in the current display). I think this could be accomplished by adding a yellow line at each of the limits to see what will be allowed.
3. The remaining range meter
I don't mind this too much. And even though the GOM might not accurate, I find it to be fairly consistent, which keeps it useful for me.
2012 Black SV, bought 2012-04-04, sold 2019-05-10. 7 bars, 101,850 miles.
Current rides: 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 2018 Chevrolet Volt LT

adric22
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 000768

Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:54 am

leafydragon wrote:1. Don't really care for the growing trees indicator, especially if there is no explanation of what exactly it indicates.
I agree completely. Waste of dash space and I don't even understand what it is for, nor do I care. When I let people test drive my car they always ask me about that and it is irritating trying to explain.
2. The big "bubble-style" instantaneous power display... I would prefer a simple pointer (or growing bar) on a graduated scale. (More similar to the "pie-style" energy monitor in the NAV multi-display.) With a smaller numeric display. (e.g. "23 kW") The big power display could also show the contribution from climate control and 12V accessories.
I'm actually fine with the bubble meter and I prefer that over the instrumentation in our Volt where it has a little ball that moves forwards or backwards. However, I will agree that the information is ambiguous and it would be better if it was marked in kilowatts. Granted, you can see actual kilowatts in the information on the NAV screen in a circular graph. But I'd prefer the dash meter also be measured in kilowatts.
3. The remaining range meter... I understand the limitations of predicting range without knowing in advance the driving conditions, so I suggest the range number should be de-emphasized.
The main focus should be SOC (confounded by gradual loss of capacity) or maybe remaining kWh, or remaining percentage of 24 kWh.
And/or show a few different range figures based on last 1 km / last 10 km / last 100 km. (or make it user configurable).
I would also agree that it should be user-configurable between a state of charge number and miles remaining number. Actually, in my opinion, what would be better is to change the number on the battery guage to a state of charge only, with a percent sign after the number. Then on the little dot-matrix distplay in the center of the dash, have one of the screens available be "range." After all, I rarely even look at that screen. Most of the time it is just sitting there telling me how long it will take to recharge. Sometimes I'll put it on the screen that shows my average kilowatts/mile.
2013 Blue Nissan Leaf SV
2012 Summit White Chevy Volt

leafydragon
Delivery Date: 14 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 010464

Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:24 am

garsh wrote:
leafydragon wrote:2. The big "bubble-style" instantaneous power display... I would prefer a simple pointer (or growing bar) on a graduated scale.
Again, I agree. The one useful piece of information that your example display is missing is the current regen and power limits (single vs. double bubbles in the current display). I think this could be accomplished by adding a yellow line at each of the limits to see what will be allowed.
I agree, I forgot about the power limiting indicators. Should be simple to add.
garsh wrote:
3. The remaining range meter
I don't mind this too much. And even though the GOM might not accurate, I find it to be fairly consistent, which keeps it useful for me.
I only realized after a 2 weeks that the Guess-O-meter wasn't going to learn from my driving history, or from the average kW/km figure in the center display. So the GOM is equivalent to a strictly unchanging look-up-table from SOC then?
adric22 wrote:I would also agree that it should be user-configurable between a state of charge number and miles remaining number. Actually, in my opinion, what would be better is to change the number on the battery guage to a state of charge only, with a percent sign after the number. Then on the little dot-matrix distplay in the center of the dash, have one of the screens available be "range." After all, I rarely even look at that screen. Most of the time it is just sitting there telling me how long it will take to recharge. Sometimes I'll put it on the screen that shows my average kilowatts/mile.
I wouldn't mind this either.
How is "state-of-charge" defined, when considering the gradual permanent loss of capacity?
Would you prefer the battery bars to show the aging of the battery pack?

If an old battery pack can hold only 15kWh, and it is fully charged to hold 15kWh, do you want to see "100%"? or "63%"?

LEAFer
Delivery Date: 19 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 000215

Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:39 am

I like the double-bubbles, and the suggested (more continuous kW) display really doesn't add enough (IMHO), while it loses the "double" (ability) indicator. The only thing that bothers me about the bubbles is the "neutral" (zero) bubble. I always count it when counting the bubbles, when it really shouldn't be included, but since it's identical (visually while driving) to the others ...
2011 Silver SL+QC [Mfg: 11/2010] 36mo/15k LEASE
06Jun2013 Status [28.5 months][34,173 miles][11 bars]
Lost CapacityBar 6/6/13 @34,173 miles while in LEAF Battery Monitor: 83.41%, 71.4F (avg); cool overnight;

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862

Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:24 am

the tree is representative of how efficiently you are driving and takes away the variances of traffic, elevation and speed and only shows "you" how "you" are doing.

now, if a personal critique of your driving is not your cup of tea that is easy to understand. considering the limited real estate this information currently holds; what would you rather see there?
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 10,081 mi, 95.03% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:58 am

The algorithms for the "trees" are obscure to the point of uselessness.

I like the bubbles. Good enough resolution for instantaneous power levels and easy to see while looking elsewhere. The double-lines are ok though not necessarily easy to discern for the farsighted. This and the fact that this is the first car I've had with nav maps, has shown me it's time for prescription eyewear :)

I'd really like to have graphs of 1-minute and 5-minute moving average power consumption on the console display.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862

Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:04 am

Nubo wrote:The algorithms for the "trees" are obscure to the point of uselessness.

I like the bubbles. Good enough resolution for instantaneous power levels and easy to see while looking elsewhere. The double-lines are ok though not necessarily easy to discern for the farsighted. This and the fact that this is the first car I've had with nav maps, has shown me it's time for prescription eyewear :)

I'd really like to have graphs of 1-minute and 5-minute moving average power consumption on the console display.
hmmm, so you accept that someone in AZ can get 7 miles per K when others cant get 4? well, actually that is not obscure. its a result of thousands of different variables that we must discuss which ends up to be a very confusing meandering and long thread.

what we should be discussing is the trees. this puts EVERYONE on a level playing field but then again, that is against our nature. we as a human species always looks to get a leg up on the competition.
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 10,081 mi, 95.03% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ecoobsessive
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 19 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1725

Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:05 am

I don't like the trees either - put a SOC in that space :) , but I do like the "bubbles" and overall I love the dash and nav touchscreen display because I find it very aesthetically pleasing, with the soft blue color. It seems to say to me "new technology, forward looking." From what I have seen of the Volt and FFE they don't come close to being as aesthetic. So I hope they don't make too many changes to it.
Martha
Red SL + QC (Finally got first QC on 5/19/19)
solarpowered by 5.52 kW PV with unreliable Enphase microinverters

garsh
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2012

Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:21 pm

Nubo wrote:The algorithms for the "trees" are obscure to the point of uselessness.
+1.
I get more trees coming home (uphill) than going to work (downhill).
I get twice as many trees when I get stuck in a traffic jam.

I think it's some comparison to a gas car being driven similarly, but I just don't care. I don't want to compare my car's emissions while driving it. I just want to know about efficiency.
2012 Black SV, bought 2012-04-04, sold 2019-05-10. 7 bars, 101,850 miles.
Current rides: 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 2018 Chevrolet Volt LT

Return to “Suggestions for Nissan”