adric22
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 000768

Re: Dashboard display suggestions

Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:12 pm

Count me into the camp who has absolutely no idea what the trees represent. I never pay attention to it. The only time I've ever even noticed trees being there is on longer drives. It is totally ambiguous looking at the trees to determine how good you did. There is nothing to really compare with. I don't even know what number of trees would be considered good. I agree it is a total waste of dash real-estate. I also wish the bubbles were marked in kilowatts so they represented a real number that people can understand, yet show a graphic representation for those who don't really care about kilowatts (or even know what a kilowatt is). However, I do wish there was some way of showing when the friction brakes are kicking in to help better train a person how to use the breaks better to regen more. I'm not entirely sure how they would do that. Another possible improvement would be to have some sort of indication when you are using too much power. For example, I have driven a 2010 Honda Insight and the background behind the speedometer changes colors if you are accelerating too hard. Maybe the bubbles could each be different colors so that maybe the first 3 or 4 could be one color and the next few a different color and so on. That way people know if they can try to keep the power below a certain threshold then they are being more efficient.
2013 Blue Nissan Leaf SV
2012 Summit White Chevy Volt

leafydragon
Delivery Date: 14 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 010464

Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:49 pm

adric22 wrote:However, I do wish there was some way of showing when the friction brakes are kicking in to help better train a person how to use the breaks better to regen more.
I want to see this too.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:27 pm

leafydragon wrote:
adric22 wrote:However, I do wish there was some way of showing when the friction brakes are kicking in to help better train a person how to use the breaks better to regen more.
I want to see this too.
I understand the goal, but I can't imagine that any manufacturer would put something like this in place. I think there would be too much liability risk in case of an accident. Someone would try to construe that the instrumentation was encouraging them to use less braking force, etc....
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:34 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:All this tree talk had caused me to log into Carwings for first time in about 8 months and I have my flora mixed up a bit. The LEAFs trees represent an amount of CO2 not produced. I guess I mixed it up with the Focus Which generates leaves based on driving efficiency. So trees could represent the amount of CO2 a tree absorbs or in this case CO2 the LEAF did not produce
Sounds to me like Nissan may have its flora and its fauna mixed up. I mean, since trees depend on CO2 you'd think that the more CO2 you produce the more trees you'd grow. :roll:

Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

LEAFer
Delivery Date: 19 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 000215

Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:55 am

planet4ever wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:All this tree talk had caused me to log into Carwings for first time in about 8 months and I have my flora mixed up a bit. The LEAFs trees represent an amount of CO2 not produced. I guess I mixed it up with the Focus Which generates leaves based on driving efficiency. So trees could represent the amount of CO2 a tree absorbs or in this case CO2 the LEAF did not produce
Sounds to me like Nissan may have its flora and its fauna mixed up. I mean, since trees depend on CO2 you'd think that the more CO2 you produce the more trees you'd grow. :roll:

Ray
Let's go back to the oil tanker idea :lol:
2011 Silver SL+QC [Mfg: 11/2010] 36mo/15k LEASE
06Jun2013 Status [28.5 months][34,173 miles][11 bars]
Lost CapacityBar 6/6/13 @34,173 miles while in LEAF Battery Monitor: 83.41%, 71.4F (avg); cool overnight;

davewill

Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:34 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
What is the arc of dots surrounding the growing trees?
... "near" instantaneous feedback on how well you are doing. ...
Sure, I can see how the arc might be helpful, although I can get much the same result by using the instantaneous MPK readout. The only way the trees seem to be of any use might be comparing how many I get on the exact same route from one day to the next.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

dgpcolorado
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011

Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:35 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:the tree is representative of how efficiently you are driving and takes away the variances of traffic, elevation and speed and only shows "you" how "you" are doing.

now, if a personal critique of your driving is not your cup of tea that is easy to understand. considering the limited real estate this information currently holds; what would you rather see there?
I don't find the trees useful and don't track them, perhaps because I already know how to drive efficiently.

I have given some thought to what I'd rather have in that spot and it would be the D-ECO-P display. The current "gear" display is difficult or impossible to see when the steering wheel is turned a bit so I'd like to have it in a more prominent position. Or, as an alternative, I'd like to see the energy pie chart in that spot since it is my most watched display, aside from the basics like the speedometer and fuel gauge.
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!
Tesla Referral Code

leafydragon
Delivery Date: 14 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 010464

Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:57 pm

dgpcolorado wrote:I have given some thought to what I'd rather have in that spot and it would be the D-ECO-P display. The current "gear" display is difficult or impossible to see when the steering wheel is turned a bit so I'd like to have it in a more prominent position. Or, as an alternative, I'd like to see the energy pie chart in that spot since it is my most watched display, aside from the basics like the speedometer and fuel gauge.
I agree about the D-ECO-P!

I like to watch the 3 energy pies too.
Is it just me or does it take about 3 touches to get to the energy pies? (there's that disclaimer screen to OK away, every single time!)

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:03 pm

Works for me. Perhaps a different software version... In two miles from work to the freeway, taking an hour, I can grow a tree and a half at least...
Nekota wrote:
TomT wrote:It has to be in D or Eco and not moving.
Nekota wrote:I tried your method of growing trees by going no where and it didn't work - I turned the car on and let it sit just like you said and no trees grew.
Ok I put the car in Eco and sat still for 15 mins - no tree nor even any stump. There was a full arc of segments which slowly dropped to none over a couple of minutes and my mile/kwhr dropped from 4.3 to 4.1 during this exercise so the idea trees grow while stationary is less than 1 tree per 75 mins. I typically see trees at the rate of one per 11 miles.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

Nekota
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2182

Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:47 pm

TomT wrote:Works for me. Perhaps a different software version... In two miles from work to the freeway, taking an hour, I can grow a tree and a half at least...
TomT wrote:It has to be in D or Eco and not moving.
One of these things is not like the other. I can see how one might feel like two miles in an hour is 'not moving' but the LEAF is moving - not stopped.
Res 20Apr2010 / Ordered 27Sep2010 / Delivered 12May2011

PV System

Return to “Suggestions for Nissan”