Herm
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2012

Re: Dashboard display suggestions

Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:35 am

drive slowly, accelerate moderately and you will grow some trees.. get on the hwy and speed at 55 and you will kill them. You abuse your Leaf everytime you get on the hwy.

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862

Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:40 am

having a display that shows "braking" action would be nice. a dial indicator which shows regen on the left, friction braking on the right
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 10,081 mi, 95.03% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:58 am

Well, I better sell it now then since I can't get most anywhere I need to go without doing so! :lol:
Herm wrote:drive slowly, accelerate moderately and you will grow some trees.. get on the hwy and speed at 55 and you will kill them. You abuse your Leaf everytime you get on the hwy.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

Herm
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2012

Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:43 am

TomT wrote:Well, I better sell it now then since I can't get most anywhere I need to go without doing so! :lol:
All they have in your town are highways?.. no low speed roads? :)

HoustonFlier
Delivery Date: 27 Jun 2012

Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:24 pm

Does a golf cart need all that?

Ok, that's way to simplistic, but I agree with OP and commentators on the less then informative display.

The display seems to be a textbook case of "feature creep", getting full of ideas that end up cluttering the display.
It is the same energy flow indicators you see in a Prius (for instance), just looks different.

What is the most important information in an EV?
Speed (both MPH & KmPH) and Energy Left (excluding the indicator lights for motor problem, low tire, etc).
Everything else is pretty much distraction and waste of space.

Consider the ease and intuitive use of iPhone and iPad.
How would Steve Jobs design the dash?

Consider also a key part of EV's is ease of use, less maintenance. A major point of EV is being simpler then IC cars.

Nissan has some nice ideas and are good to have, but the presentation is stale.
Planted my seed, eagerly awaiting my Leaf to grow!
in wild:
Leaf 4
Volt 2 (know one owner)

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:42 pm

HoustonFlier wrote: ... What is the most important information in an EV?
Speed (both MPH & KmPH) and Energy Left (excluding the indicator lights for motor problem, low tire, etc).
Everything else is pretty much distraction and waste of space. ...
I'd suggest that "burn rate" of your "fuel" is important -- miles per kWH. BUT, neither the instantaneous rate, nor the long-term rate are sufficient to really help you while you're underway. What is needed are more intermediate periods, such as 1 minute and 5 minute moving averages, etc... In this way you could, for example, change your speed on a highway drive, and get a decent idea of the impact. Following the instantaneous rate as it bounces between 2 and 8 due to wind gusts, hills or brief spots of coasting or acceleration, just doesn't cut it, nor does your rate since you started the car.

I would suggest a small line graph with those 2 moving averages over a given timeframe. This would be way more useful and informative to me than eco trees.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

HoustonFlier

Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:13 pm

Nubo wrote:
HoustonFlier wrote: ... What is the most important information in an EV?
Everything else is pretty much distraction and waste of space. ...
I'd suggest that "burn rate" of your "fuel" is important -- miles per kWH. BUT, neither the instantaneous rate, nor the long-term rate are sufficient to really help you while you're underway. What is needed are more intermediate periods, such as 1 minute and 5 minute moving averages, etc... In this way you could, for example, change your speed on a highway drive, and get a decent idea of the impact. Following the instantaneous rate as it bounces between 2 and 8 due to wind gusts, hills or brief spots of coasting or acceleration, just doesn't cut it, nor does your rate since you started the car.

I would suggest a small line graph with those 2 moving averages over a given timeframe. This would be way more useful and informative to me than eco trees.
Does my gas guzzling car have a "burn rate"?
No.

I use two meters, fuel in tank, and miles driven.
On average I do about 325 miles for full tank. More if highway, less if city, but for certain when I am about 300 miles, need to get gas soon (started that habit after my old car fuel gauge stopped working).

As you said, it is all an estimate, and the only estimate that counts is when you down to last, say, 15% of energy. Will you make the fuel... I mean recharge station?
in wild:
Leaf 4
Volt 2 (know one owner)

davewill

Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:23 pm

HoustonFlier wrote:...Does my gas guzzling car have a "burn rate"?
No. ...
But some ICE cars do have MPG readouts, and they can be very helpful if your goal is to maximize efficiency.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

HoustonFlier

Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:14 am

davewill wrote:
HoustonFlier wrote:...Does my gas guzzling car have a "burn rate"?
No. ...
But some ICE cars do have MPG readouts, and they can be very helpful if your goal is to maximize efficiency.
Maximize efficiency by efficient driving habits, not a gauge on a dash.
Their is a peak cruising efficiency in a car that should be posted in all cars (45~55 MPH for most IC).
Do about EV's, maybe around 25~30 MPH?

The reason for IC having better better peak cruising efficiency is by transmission gearing. If no transmission then motor is better. For example aircraft do not have transmission, so the more power the engine, more fuel is used on an increasing scale.
in wild:
Leaf 4
Volt 2 (know one owner)

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:38 am

HoustonFlier wrote: Does my gas guzzling car have a "burn rate"?
No.

I use two meters, fuel in tank, and miles driven.
On average I do about 325 miles for full tank. More if highway, less if city, but for certain when I am about 300 miles, need to get gas soon (started that habit after my old car fuel gauge stopped working).

As you said, it is all an estimate, and the only estimate that counts is when you down to last, say, 15% of energy. Will you make the fuel... I mean recharge station?
Two very different regimes. Your gas-guzzler has much longer range and, though expensive and otherwise problematic, refueling is quick and widely available. Your gas-guzzler is also relatively insensitive to changes in driving style and conditions because it's already throwing away 80% of the energy it's provided, regardless. A happy-go-lucky style combined with a monotonous range behavior, is a workable approach.

The LEAF has a small "tank", refueling stations are not omnipresent and refueling takes much longer. It is far more sensitive to driving style and conditions. Being able to confidently avoid a lengthy fuel stop is a big dividend.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

Return to “Suggestions for Nissan”