HoustonFlier
Delivery Date: 27 Jun 2012

Nissan LEAF app- rants and raves

Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:45 pm

Given the limited range of EV's and very few practical charging stations (420v and 220v fast charge only) means pure EV are literally driving on the edge. Anything to increase the "margin of comfort" is gold.

Nissan's idea of an smartphone App to monitor and even control aspects of the car is an bit of genius on part of Nissan to do.

But is falls far short what is should do.
And for me it does impact my decision on buying a Leaf.

The two features that stand out in the LEAF App is remote charge activate (to charge when rates lowest), and biggest of all, remote control of climate!

It does have some other good support features, and that its (not that much at all)

The rants are long, and dismaying, especially since the "MyFordMobile" (F) does have many of these features. Put it bluntly, the Ford app is what I consider the minimum features a car app should have.

The LEAF App has:
*No remote door open (Ford has)
*No programing setting for charging at low cost time (F)
*No trip history and analysis, know how far you can go and better driving habits (F)
*No UNLOCK of door (F)
*iPhone cannot take place of key fob to start car(!!) (F)
*No climate condition/ temp in car (F)
*"Find My Car" / vehicle locator (F)
*No schedule to turn on climate control (F)
*Well designed intuitive and clean interface (Ford better, still)
*List of nearby charge stations (F).
*Maintenance schedule and tire inflation (F)
*List a personal best.
*Itemize business miles vs. personal miles (not in Ford)

*Best of all a competition between drivers to challenge each other for best day, something the Ford app has!

Yes, the MyFordMobile has a lot of great features to help improve driving habits and control certain functions. The interface is not all great, the maps display has lots of issues, but it shows advantages to a close app/EV connection.

Does it influence my car buying decision?
Yes.

I know people will say its the CAR, not a silly app.
It's really BOTH.
Again, EV driving options are tight, having all these advantages makes driving EV even better!

I am sure others will say they don't need/us it with gas cars.
I actually do. Every time I fill up I have a log on miles and gas (and gas price), and calculate my MPG occasionally. I know what my MPG is typically. I also log when I do maintenance by mile and date, and yes, their are apps for tracking this too.

A better app will make Leaf a better experience, and I hope Nissan will regain the lead.

Cheers!
Planted my seed, eagerly awaiting my Leaf to grow!
in wild:
Leaf 4
Volt 2 (know one owner)

EricBayArea
Delivery Date: 08 Oct 2011

Re: Nissan LEAF app- rants and raves

Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:42 pm

I think there have been other threads discussing enhancements. I know that when I went to the meet and greet with Nissan at the Google campus I provided copious amounts of feedback on comment sheet. My top additions would be:

-Remotely STOP charging! We can start charging remotely but for some reason we can't stop charging remotely? Why? I would find it VERY convenient to be able to choose one of 3 stop methods: (1) Immediate Stop. (2) Stop at Time. (3) Stop at %. This would eliminate the need for updating charging timers in public. I could override timer, plug in, then set the Stop when I'm in the movie, at the restaurant, doing whatever.
-Remotely set charge timers! It would be SOOO much nicer to plug the car in, eat dinner and then say "oh wait, I'm actually driving further tomorrow at a different time - I'll update the timer accordingly." Without having to go out, turn on the car, etc, etc.
-Current inside and outside temperatures at your LEAF. Great to know what the weather is like to know if you need to turn on the climate control (or if you even need climate control).
-SOC % would be nice, but that goes back to the fact that Nissan doesn't even give us that in the car.

Personally, I don't really care about remote lock/unlock. I can understand wanting to remotely lock the car if you can't remember if you locked it. But I'd never use an unlock feature. If I left my keys in the car, I can still unlock it. And if I lost my keys, unlocking won't do much to get me home.

Also not interested in "find my car" as I never lose my car.
Last edited by EricBayArea on Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Color: Cayenne Red
Plate: I PLGIN

mynameisjim
Delivery Date: 17 Jul 2012
Leaf Number: 23226

Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:02 pm

Using the phone to replace your key fob would be interesting. I've never lost my key while out and about, but my wife has taken both car's keys from home leaving me carless before.

ebill3
Delivery Date: 15 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7964

Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:25 pm

HoustonFlier wrote:Does it influence my car buying decision?
Yes.
But, according to your profile, you are taking delivery of a LEAF today?

Why not get a Ford? :o
All electric - red LEAF, green Tesla S. No ICE.

adric22
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 000768

Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:36 pm

My biggest gripe about the app is that it shows you obsolete information when you open it. No big deal, you hit update. But then it tells you your session is timed-out. So then it asks you to log-in again. Of course, it has your credentials already stored there, so why did it need to bring you to this step? So then you get logged in again, only to sit there and wait on a screen with obsolete information. After a few minutes you realize the app totally forgot that you wanted an update to begin with so you have to hit the update button again. After a minute or so, finally you'll get your update.

I think that is the most irritating design for an app. Whoever came up with it is probably the same person who wants you to CLICK OK every time you start the car, and also have two clocks that are out of sync with each other.
2013 Blue Nissan Leaf SV
2012 Summit White Chevy Volt

ecoobsessive
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 19 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1725

Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:07 pm

To get an update in the Leaf iPhone app I have to click 8 times:

1. open app.
2. click update
3. click OK
4. "idle too long" OK
5. "next"
6. "join" .... "please wait"
7. click "update" again .... wait again
8. click "ok" again

Really, 8 times!!! I know this is what adric22 was complaining about above, but just to show how completely ridiculous the design of that app is.
Martha
Red SL + QC (Finally got first QC on 5/19/19)
solarpowered by 5.52 kW PV with unreliable Enphase microinverters

HoustonFlier
Delivery Date: 27 Jun 2012

Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:58 am

EricBayArea wrote:I think there have been other threads discussing enhancements. I know that when I went to the meet and greet with Nissan at the Google campus I provided copious amounts of feedback on comment sheet. My top additions would be:
I did a search on this forum, found no topic specific.

Thanks for comments!
ebill3 wrote:
HoustonFlier wrote:Does it influence my car buying decision?
Yes.
But, according to your profile, you are taking delivery of a LEAF today?

Why not get a Ford? :o
I might, except no Ford EV in my part of world :roll:
I am inclined to get EV, but need to convince my wife. :)
Planted my seed, eagerly awaiting my Leaf to grow!
in wild:
Leaf 4
Volt 2 (know one owner)

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:49 am

Also you can start but not stop charging remotely. So if you decide you need to override the charge timer and start charging right away there is no way to stop it when it gets to 80%. If your plans change again and it turns out you won't be needing the car, it's going to charge to 100% and then sit until you do drive it again. Maybe not that big a deal, but I try to avoid having the car sit at 100% SOC. It would also matter more if you were on TOU metering and you wanted to stop immediate charging if your plans changed.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue
2016 SV-adjacent May 2016 lost 4th bar March 2018

DarkStar
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 568

Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:58 am

ecoobsessive wrote:To get an update in the Leaf iPhone app I have to click 8 times:

1. open app.
2. click update
3. click OK
4. "idle too long" OK
5. "next"
6. "join" .... "please wait"
7. click "update" again .... wait again
8. click "ok" again

Really, 8 times!!! I know this is what adric22 was complaining about above, but just to show how completely ridiculous the design of that app is.
Strange, the Android app doesn't do this and can actually be set to automatically request an update when the app is launched.
Mikiko (2011 Nissan LEAF ETEC) Status:
Reserved: 04/20/10 | Ordered: 10/01/10 | EV Project Blink Installed: 03/22/11 | Delivered: 03/25/11 | VIN: 568

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association | Electric Auto Association

grommet
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3612

Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:03 am

On iOS, I also don't get the "idle too long", "join", etc. stuff as mentioned above. (I do have "update at startup" set to "on" in the app.)

If the app is already launched or suspended, all I need to do is switch to the app... pick "Update" at the bottom, and click "OK" to confirm I'm sure I want an update.

Return to “Suggestions for Nissan”