baronvonshush
Delivery Date: 11 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 8286

Re: Nissan LEAF app- rants and raves

Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:12 am

ecoobsessive wrote:To get an update in the Leaf iPhone app I have to click 8 times:

1. open app.
2. click update
3. click OK
4. "idle too long" OK
5. "next"
6. "join" .... "please wait"
7. click "update" again .... wait again
8. click "ok" again

Really, 8 times!!! I know this is what adric22 was complaining about above, but just to show how completely ridiculous the design of that app is.
Interesting, on mine steps 7 and 8 are not needed. As soon as I hit "Join" it logs in and initiates an update.

And given grommet's comment about not having to do any of this, I wonder if we all have different versions of the app? I have the latest version (1.0.4) which was released in February, a few weeks before I got my LEAF. Either that or grommet always comes back to the app before the login times out (seems to be either 30 or 60 minutes?).

At any rate, I'm working on fixing this problem. At the SoCal meetup this past weekend I demoed LEAF Link, an app I've been working on to replace the Nissan app and to easily send addresses to the LEAF's navigation system for routing. Unfortunately I can't address any of the issues in HoustonFlier's original post because those would either require a firmware update in the car (fat chance) or possibly a hardware change as well. But I can (and do) fix the ridiculous multi-step refresh problem, as well as several other operations that require more touches than necessary in Nissan's app.

I will post a dedicated thread when it's ready for public beta, hopefully in another week or two. Here's a screenshot (already a bit out of date):

Mike
2011 Ocean Blue SL + QC

grommet
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3612

Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:24 am

I do often "hard close" the app when I'm done, so that's probably why I don't see the login/timeout... when it launches fresh, it always logs on automatically (no prompt) and forces a update, since I have the flag set.

HoustonFlier
Delivery Date: 27 Jun 2012

Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:42 am

baronvonshush wrote: At any rate, I'm working on fixing this problem. At the SoCal meetup this past weekend I demoed LEAF Link, an app I've been working on to replace the Nissan app and to easily send addresses to the LEAF's navigation system for routing. Unfortunately I can't address any of the issues in HoustonFlier's original post because those would either require a firmware update in the car (fat chance) or possibly a hardware change as well. But I can (and do) fix the ridiculous multi-step refresh problem, as well as several other operations that require more touches than necessary in Nissan's app.

I will post a dedicated thread when it's ready for public beta, hopefully in another week or two. Here's a screenshot (already a bit out of date):

You sir, deserve the Glowing Leaf prize!!

(OKOK, made up the prize name, but still!)
Last edited by HoustonFlier on Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Planted my seed, eagerly awaiting my Leaf to grow!
in wild:
Leaf 4
Volt 2 (know one owner)

ecoobsessive
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 19 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1725

Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:39 pm

grommet wrote:I do often "hard close" the app when I'm done, so that's probably why I don't see the login/timeout... when it launches fresh, it always logs on automatically (no prompt) and forces a update, since I have the flag set.
Thanks for the tips. Will try - as well as getting latest version.

edit: I do have "update at startup" set to "on" and the latest version - oh well......
Martha
Red SL + QC (Finally got first QC on 5/19/19)
solarpowered by 5.52 kW PV with unreliable Enphase microinverters

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:39 pm

grommet wrote:I do often "hard close" the app when I'm done, so that's probably why I don't see the login/timeout... when it launches fresh, it always logs on automatically (no prompt) and forces a update, since I have the flag set.
Same here. The fact that force-quitting the app makes it behave more rationally than when kept active, is just mind-numbingly bad. The fact that they havent fixed it 18 months into the production cycle, beggars belief.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

tomkludy

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:37 pm

baronvonshush, I can't wait to try LEAF Link! I have completely given up on the official app. I have yet to get the climate control turned on before I make it all the way out, down three flights of stairs, out the building, and across the parking lot to my car on the way home from work. The official app is a complete embarrassment.

In fact the only reason I found this thread was that I was looking into writing an app myself. Mine would consist of one single, huge, red button: "TURN ON CLIMATE CONTROL".

For me, doing this with the official app requires:

1. Launch app
2. Switch to "Climate control" tab
3. Nope, the app thinks that climate control is already ON, and will only allow me to request turning it OFF. (Why would anyone ever use the app to turn climate control OFF?)
4. Switch to "Update" tab
5. Confirm that I want to "Update" (WHY? What possible reason would someone have for not pressing "OK"?)
6. Wait 30+ seconds
7. Confirm that the app has of course lost its mind and must be logged in again
8. Press "Next" and then "Join" to log in again (Really? "Join"?)
9. Wait 30+ seconds for the impossibly slow login to finish
10. Switch to the "Update" tab
11. This time it requests an update without requiring me to confirm.. tiny miracle!
12. Switch to the "Home" tab
13. Wait 30+ seconds for the popup informing me that it was updated.. which I must then confirm >:(
14. Switch to the "Climate control" tab
15. Press "Turn on climate control"
16. Switch to the "Home" tab while idly waiting (30+ seconds again) for a merciful god to punish the app developer
17. FINALLY get a popup confirming that the climate control message was sent to the car!! CONFIRM! (and if I don't wait for this step and just place the phone in my pocket, the climate control does not come on!)

I count 14 taps, and probably 4 minutes to complete this process if I am not clicking every "confirm" button the second it pops up.

So I implore you, on your app, for my sanity, just place a single button to "turn on climate control" with no confirmations. I would happily pay $10 for that app.

Stanton
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:18 pm

HoustonFlier wrote: The rants are long, and dismaying, especially since the "MyFordMobile" (F) does have many of these features. Put it bluntly, the Ford app is what I consider the minimum features a car app should have.

The LEAF App has:
*No remote door open (Ford has)
*No UNLOCK of door (F)
*iPhone cannot take place of key fob to start car(!!) (F)
There are some basic security reasons I would NOT want to have these particular items in any app. While I think the implementation could be improved, I believe Nissan put a premium on security when designing what's basically a first generation telematics app.

I am looking forward to trying baronvonshush's 'Leaf Link' app!
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

grommet

Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:36 pm

I'll remind tomkludy, etc. that as long as you hard close when you are done (hold the app icon for 2 seconds in the "recent apps" bar, and press "-")... and set it to "update at startup" when you launch it... it's not too painful. It logs in automatically without prompt, and updates shortly. I can start up climate control in less than a minute.

Anyway, let's hope the "new" LEAF app (with the planned CARWINGS route range estimator features) fixes these stupid problems later this year... until then, feel free to try the use workaround above, or one of the 3rd party solutions.

HoustonFlier
Delivery Date: 27 Jun 2012

Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:28 pm

Stanton wrote:
HoustonFlier wrote: The rants are long, and dismaying, especially since the "MyFordMobile" (F) does have many of these features. Put it bluntly, the Ford app is what I consider the minimum features a car app should have.

The LEAF App has:
*No remote door open (Ford has)
*No UNLOCK of door (F)
*iPhone cannot take place of key fob to start car(!!) (F)
There are some basic security reasons I would NOT want to have these particular items in any app. While I think the implementation could be improved, I believe Nissan put a premium on security when designing what's basically a first generation telematics app.

I am looking forward to trying baronvonshush's 'Leaf Link' app!
I think your concerns, while amiable, are unfounded.

The GM service OnStar has been in use for, wow, over 10 years, and I never heard of it being compromised.
And with the key FOB and password in app and phone will make it much harder to compromise.

The aid is unlocking door (and accessories), not activating drive power, still need FOB for that.
Planted my seed, eagerly awaiting my Leaf to grow!
in wild:
Leaf 4
Volt 2 (know one owner)

grommet

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:05 pm

A minor update to the LEAF app for iOS is available now, and should resolve the login issue if you don't hard close the app. Give it a swing...

Return to “Suggestions for Nissan”