mynameisjim
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:12 pm
Delivery Date: 17 Jul 2012
Leaf Number: 23226
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Why even have a "Start" button??!?

Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:55 am

There are times where I select park but I don't want the car to turn off, so having park as the off button wouldn't be acceptable to some customers.

User avatar
EVDRIVER
Moderator
Posts: 6753
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re: Why even have a "Start" button??!?

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:01 am

Herm wrote:
HoustonFlier wrote: The Shifter is the Start button.
You do have a point.. I would go even further and get rid of the shifter with a series of big chromed pushbutton on the dashboard.. you push them and they stay down, like the station select buttons in old car radios. Obviously you would need the keyfob or input your pin number on the radio. Put it on the steering wheel if you want to complicate things.

List of buttons:

1. Off (any other button will turn power on)
2. Accessory
3. Park (could be combined with Accessory but might not be legal)
4. Reverse
5. Neutral
6. Drive
7. L1 (eco with medium regen)
8. L2 (eco with high regen, for those that like to drive with one pedal)

This has simplicity, and good visual and tactile feedback.
This has been done on EVs before, it was abandoned for many reasons. The present system makes sense, the LEAF is not the first EV and this is not the first time this has been hashed out over and over by EV owners and OEMs. This is yet another thread that will go in circles right back to conclusions already made in the past. The future is not buttons its voice and advanced recognition telematics.

HoustonFlier
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:57 am
Delivery Date: 27 Jun 2012
Location: 6000ft and climbing!
Contact: Yahoo Messenger

Re: Why even have a "Start" button??!?

Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:34 am

EVDRIVER wrote: This has been done on EVs before, it was abandoned for many reasons. The present system makes sense, the LEAF is not the first EV and this is not the first time this has been hashed out over and over by EV owners and OEMs. This is yet another thread that will go in circles right back to conclusions already made in the past. The future is not buttons its voice and advanced recognition telematics.
Yes, voice and facial.

Don't really want to go that far. Imagine if you have acne outbreak and laryngitis! :lol:
Planted my seed, eagerly awaiting my Leaf to grow!
in wild:
Leaf 4
Volt 2 (know one owner)

Herm
Posts: 3765
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 3:08 pm
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2012
Location: Timbuktu, Mali

Re: Why even have a "Start" button??!?

Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:02 pm

EVDRIVER wrote: This has been done on EVs before, it was abandoned for many reasons.
Please elaborate and I wont bring it up again..

ENIAC
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:05 pm
Delivery Date: 13 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 224
Location: Sun Diego, CA USA

Re: Why even have a "Start" button??!?

Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:14 pm

Seems to me that Nissan wanted the LEAF to have relatively the same look, feel, and usability as an typical ICE vehicle. That's likely why it has a start button.
Myths And Facts About Electric Cars

"The ice doesn't care"
-- WetEV

HoustonFlier
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:57 am
Delivery Date: 27 Jun 2012
Location: 6000ft and climbing!
Contact: Yahoo Messenger

Re: Why even have a "Start" button??!?

Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:31 pm

mynameisjim wrote:There are times where I select park but I don't want the car to turn off, so having park as the off button wouldn't be acceptable to some customers.
Ideas

1. Double tap Park, once to disengage drive, and other to Stop.
or
2. Set Parking brake
or
3. Move shifter to NEUTRAL.
Planted my seed, eagerly awaiting my Leaf to grow!
in wild:
Leaf 4
Volt 2 (know one owner)

HoustonFlier
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:57 am
Delivery Date: 27 Jun 2012
Location: 6000ft and climbing!
Contact: Yahoo Messenger

Re: Why even have a "Start" button??!?

Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:33 pm

ENIAC wrote:Seems to me that Nissan wanted the LEAF to have relatively the same look, feel, and usability as an typical ICE vehicle. That's likely why it has a start button.
Their is no "standard" for operating ICE's, and history has quite a few variations of doing things, so little out of reason for an EV.

In a very simplistic way, look at a golf cart. Do people have a hard time learning to drive that?
Planted my seed, eagerly awaiting my Leaf to grow!
in wild:
Leaf 4
Volt 2 (know one owner)

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10648
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: Why even have a "Start" button??!?

Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:38 pm

I like it just as it is because it doesn't require any intuition or rub your head while you pat your stomach machinations..
HoustonFlier wrote:
mynameisjim wrote:There are times where I select park but I don't want the car to turn off, so having park as the off button wouldn't be acceptable to some customers.
Ideas
1. Double tap Park, once to disengage drive, and other to Stop.
or
2. Set Parking brake
or
3. Move shifter to NEUTRAL.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

HoustonFlier
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:57 am
Delivery Date: 27 Jun 2012
Location: 6000ft and climbing!
Contact: Yahoo Messenger

Re: Why even have a "Start" button??!?

Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:01 pm

TomT wrote:I like it just as it is because it doesn't require any intuition or rub your head while you pat your stomach machinations..
HoustonFlier wrote:
mynameisjim wrote:There are times where I select park but I don't want the car to turn off, so having park as the off button wouldn't be acceptable to some customers.
Ideas
1. Double tap Park, once to disengage drive, and other to Stop.
or
2. Set Parking brake
or
3. Move shifter to NEUTRAL.
IMHO that what it feels like now.

FoB in hand (or safely located next to your jewels ;) ), push Start, Step on brake, move puck right, move puck in to D or R.
Planted my seed, eagerly awaiting my Leaf to grow!
in wild:
Leaf 4
Volt 2 (know one owner)

ztanos
Posts: 808
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:31 pm
Location: Canton, Ga
Contact: AOL

Re: Why even have a "Start" button??!?

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:29 am

HoustonFlier wrote:IMHO that what it feels like now.

FoB in hand (or safely located next to your jewels ;) ), push Start, Step on brake, move puck right, move puck in to D or R.
How is this any different from any other automatic vehicle?

FoB in hand (or safely located net to your jewels ;) *unless you have the older key style*, push start *unless as aforementioned key style*, Step on brake, move shifter down and left or right (depends on style), move shifter into D or R.

Return to “Suggestions for Nissan”