planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Re: Why even have a "Start" button??!?

Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:40 pm

davewill wrote:The Prius has used the exact same pattern for over ten years, and this is obviously the Japanese standard for electronic shifters. Might as well get used to it.
Right. If I had been at Nissan and given the job of deciding what the shift pattern should be, my logic would have been that the most common path to EV ownership would be from the full hybrid that is most popular and has the best mileage. I believe that Nissan consciously copied the Prius shifter, making only the minimum changes necessary to avoid a patent fight.

Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

EVDRIVER

Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:29 pm

HoustonFlier wrote:
TomT wrote:And that is intuitive and expected by just about anyone who drives a car, as it should be... The other would not be to anyone who was not specifically versed in it in advance.
HoustonFlier wrote:IMHO that what it feels like now. FoB in hand (or safely located next to your jewels ;) ), push Start, Step on brake, move puck right, move puck in to D or R.
I drive a cars, and I did not feel it was that intuitive.

1. Key in pocket
2. Button to start (yes, I know, decades ago it was start button too, but not that old!)
3. Move shifter LEFT! Never used an automatic transmission car had to move LEFT. Usually DOWN. (granted Manuals you do)
4. Move shifter (after left), UP to go Reverse (most manuals its way to Right, then Up or Down)
5. To go Neutral, just a left move, NOTHING I know in cars does this.
6. To Park, push button in middle. Again, NOTHING I know in cars does this.

Here is the test:
If anyone who never sat in Leaf before, WITHOUT LOOKING, can correctly shift to different modes?
Even in manuals, one can figure out the gears and Reverse dry shifting a couple of times (not engage clutch).

Yes, let's not change anything and make it all like other stupid cars, like the weak regen, and dumbed down steering. People that actually lead in design and innovate are fools, like Steve Jobs. The car drive system is decent and functional. All this focus on something that actually works well and little on the 10-year dated POS NAV and telematics that is an industry joke.

HoustonFlier
Delivery Date: 27 Jun 2012

Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:57 am

EVDRIVER wrote:Yes, let's not change anything and make it all like other stupid cars, like the weak regen, and dumbed down steering. People that actually lead in design and innovate are fools, like Steve Jobs. The car drive system is decent and functional. All this focus on something that actually works well and little on the 10-year dated POS NAV and telematics that is an industry joke.
Irony and sarcasm?
Planted my seed, eagerly awaiting my Leaf to grow!
in wild:
Leaf 4
Volt 2 (know one owner)

surfingslovak
Vendor

Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:04 am

HoustonFlier wrote:Irony and sarcasm?
No, EVDRIVER would never do that!

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:19 am

If Steve Jobs had made an EV, it would cost twice as much as any other EV, it would be obsolete in a year, and it would not allow you to add any after-market accessories of any kind. Oh, and it would only go where IT thought you should go! And no one else would be allowed to make one!
EVDRIVER wrote:People that actually lead in design and innovate are fools, like Steve Jobs.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

EatsShootsandLeafs
Delivery Date: 24 Aug 2012

Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:30 am

I find it most interesting that not a soul in this thread has mentioned that the OP describes something Tesla has done in the Model S (maybe the Roadster, I have no idea).

I agree it's a good idea. The start button is mostly useless. As it is I rarely hit park in my Prius and rarely will in this, either. It's VERY nice being able to hit the brake and then just power right off. I guess in this sense, I'd still have to hit P to stop if I didn't have start/stop, but I do think that the start button itself serves little purpose.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/alt ... ewall.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For instance? There's no actual 'on' button. The Model S 'knows' you're ready to drive by recognizing that you've gotten in (door opens and closes, weight on the driver's seat), are ready to drive (seatbelt latched), and are taking action (tapping the brake pedal). That's it.

cnuoffer
Delivery Date: 04 Aug 2012
Leaf Number: 009351

Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:02 pm

It's not a start button
It's a Power button
Cord
2011 SL
So. Cal.

leafedbehind
Delivery Date: 11 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 8198

Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:09 am

Well the Tesla is basically the EV Steve Jobs would have made, just without the "no one else should be allowed to make one" sort of stuff. Elon Musk seems quite eager to see others try to compete and make EVs commonplace.
TomT wrote:If Steve Jobs had made an EV, it would cost twice as much as any other EV, it would be obsolete in a year, and it would not allow you to add any after-market accessories of any kind. Oh, and it would only go where IT thought you should go! And no one else would be allowed to make one!
EVDRIVER wrote:People that actually lead in design and innovate are fools, like Steve Jobs.
2011 SL-e, silver, VIN 8198, delivered 11 Sep 2011. 37k miles, ~200 GIDs, 9 bars (1st bar lost 3 April 2014 @20,700 mi, 3rd bar lost Aug 2017)
2015 e-Golf SEL
2013 Fit EV, VIN 151, delivered 17 Nov 2012, lease return Nov 2015 at 30k miles
7.7kW solar PV

jkirkebo
Delivery Date: 30 Oct 2011
Leaf Number: 007344

Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:44 am

TomT wrote:If Steve Jobs had made an EV, it would cost twice as much as any other EV, it would be obsolete in a year, and it would not allow you to add any after-market accessories of any kind. Oh, and it would only go where IT thought you should go! And no one else would be allowed to make one!
Umm, my iPhone 3GS is now over 3 years old and is not obsolete by any measure. It has been upgraded from IOS 3 to IOS 4 and now IOS 5.1. Ask HTC customers how many operating system upgrades they release for their old models...

TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:49 am

Apple brings out a new iPhone/iPad/iWhatever every year like clockwork with the express idea of obsoleting the older ones and driving people to buy the new one... Sorry, but that is planned obsolescence by any measure...
jkirkebo wrote:Umm, my iPhone 3GS is now over 3 years old and is not obsolete by any measure. It has been upgraded from IOS 3 to IOS 4 and now IOS 5.1. Ask HTC customers how many operating system upgrades they release for their old models...
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

Return to “Suggestions for Nissan”