Update Software to Allow Two Charge Timers per Day

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asinclair

I charge at home overnight (L2) to 80% and then drive to work in the morning. I like to allow my battery to cool before charging on L1 (to 80%) when I get to work - it would be nice to have a second timer available so I could automate this process.

If you could find and use a 120V timer that can handle 15A, that would work at, well, work. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. (L1 trickle charging has minimal impact to battery temperature.) I can't imagine you hit work with your battery at 7 bars in the Bay Area.

grommet said:
If you could find and use a 120V timer that can handle 15A, that would work at, well, work. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. (L1 trickle charging has minimal impact to battery temperature.) I can't imagine you hit work with your battery at 7 bars in the Bay Area.

Generally arrive with 6 bars. Maybe I am just being paranoid after reading all 185 pages of the lost capacity thread...

asinclair said:
\
Generally arrive with 6 bars. Maybe I am just being paranoid after reading all 185 pages of the lost capacity thread...

You (and a lot of other folks) are just being paranoid. In fact, if it takes you 4 bars to get there and (assume) 4 bars to get home, you're right in the sweet spot for nightly charging; the last couple of bars hold more kW than you think, which even leaves you a future buffer.

FairwoodRed said:
I'd sure like more flexible charging timers too.
+1

I think more flexibility would be great. Constantly having to alter days and times on the two timers is a pain.

How about allowing some control over the charge rate? An owner of a 2013 Leaf with the 6.6 kW on-board charger sometimes might prefer to charge at a slower rate, say 3.3 kW, especially if done when there is plenty of time to complete the desired charging session.

+1

Use the timer to charge overnight and then need to top up at work. Seems like a simple thing which would add a lot of flexibility.

Some EVSEs have a delay - the Siemens for example. There's thoughts of adding delay charging to OpenEVSE software.

LEAFScan will open up some additional charging options as well. At least the capability to set charge to stop at a preprogrammed SOC.

Back