TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Re: Nissan to introduce autonomous driving LEAF prototype.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:47 am

Actually, that is nothing new... True one must actually be in the car, but my wife's car can do that now and it never makes a mistake. It can even do it from either side of the road... Kind of uncanny and unnerving actually... She still doesn't completely trust it...
edatoakrun wrote:We ended by climbing onto a platform and viewing the car park itself. The rider got out of the car and the car drove itself down the row of cars, stopped while another car left a parking space, then it drove past that space and backed right into it – perfectly in one try. I asked why they had it back in and not from the front. I was told because it’s harder to back in and they wanted to show that they could do it perfectly the hard way.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:12 am

edatoakrun wrote:Since Paul hasn't posted a link to his article here, I will:
While Paul wasted his time (IMHO) in the autonomous LEAF, I spent mine hooning the Nissan LEAF Nismo RC and a variety of 370Zs around an autocross course. Different strokes, I suppose. ;)

2011 Blue Ocean SL with 83,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bosch AGM 12v
Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

PaulScott
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2012

Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:22 am

mwalsh wrote:
edatoakrun wrote:Since Paul hasn't posted a link to his article here, I will:
While Paul wasted his time (IMHO) in the autonomous LEAF, I spent mine hooning the Nissan LEAF Nismo RC and a variety of 370Zs around an autocross course. Different strokes, I suppose. ;)

Michael, apparently you didn't read the article. I spent some quality time in the Nismo, too:~)

Go read the article.

mwalsh

Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:26 am

PaulScott wrote:Michael, apparently you didn't read the article. I spent some quality time in the Nismo, too:~)

Go read the article.

LOL! Maybe I will Paul, though the autonomous stuff is of little interest to me. I'm a driver, in every sense of the word. Of course, if it keeps all the idiots who can't drive out of my way, then perhaps the technology has validity after all! I just don't want it in any of my cars.

I do have some slides from the presentation that some may find interesting. I'll post them later, if I have time.
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bosch AGM 12v
Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:46 am

mwalsh wrote:...the autonomous stuff is of little interest to me. I'm a driver, in every sense of the word. Of course, if it keeps all the idiots who can't drive out of my way, then perhaps the technology has validity after all! I just don't want it in any of my cars...
IMO, in ~ a decade or so, you probably won't many options to buy a new car without it.

Very high insurance premiums and (I hope) much more stringent driving tests and licensing requirements for human-driven cars, and the collapse of resale values for all cars without it, will make it ubiquitous.

Nearly everyone believes they are a better driver than average, and the ~34,000 US traffic deaths a year are because of other idiots...
FRANKFURT — A wide grin beneath his bushy mustache, Dieter Zetsche, the chief executive of Daimler, did as car executives often do at auto shows, cruising onto the stage in the company’s newest model. But at the Frankfurt motor show last week, Mr. Zetsche added a surprise: he sprang from the back of a Mercedes S-Class that had no one in the driver’s seat.

Cars that drive themselves have been a science fiction dream for decades, but at the Frankfurt show, there was a palpable sense that the technology was moving quickly from laboratories and test vehicles to dealer showrooms. If the visionaries have their way, the autonomous autos could greatly reduce the number of accidents and give makers — especially in Europe — something they badly need: a new reason for people to buy cars.

While robot taxis and the like are still probably more than a decade away, auto executives said, cars that handle most of the driving with minimal human intervention could be available by the end of this decade.

“In 2020, all the problems and challenges we are seeing today in allowing an autonomous driving car will be solved,” Carlos Ghosn, the chief executive of the Renault-Nissan alliance, told reporters at the auto show.

The latest version of the Mercedes S-Class, which goes on sale in the United States next month starting at slightly more than $92,000, is able to brake and accelerate by itself on the highway or in stop-and-go traffic. And it can steer itself on a straight or lightly curved road. For safety and legal reasons, the driver still needs to keep a hand on the wheel, and to be ready to cope with more complicated situations.

Luxury carmakers like BMW and Audi are working on their own autonomous systems, which are moving ever closer to vehicles that can do almost all the driving themselves. While buyers of expensive vehicles will get the technology first, suppliers and midmarket automakers are pushing hard to bring self-driving features to the masses, making them as affordable and ubiquitous as cruise control and anti-lock brakes...
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/16/autom ... d=all&_r=1&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
no condition is permanent

johnrhansen
Delivery Date: 15 Jun 2013
Leaf Number: 409445

Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:50 am

A self driving car better be electric... they put alcohol in gasoline these days and you know how stiff the penalties are for driving under the influence of alcohol!
2013 S model with quick charge package.
AV 30 amp level 2 EVSE, Bosch PowerMax 30 Amp EVSE, EVSE upgraded EVSE.

mwalsh

Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:52 am

edatoakrun wrote:IMO, in ~ a decade or so, you probably won't many options to buy a new car without it.

Then I'll be busting that stuff out of the car. Like Arnie did with the robot taxi driver in 'Total Recall'. Or I'll just stay home with the three t*ted Martian chick. Either way is good with me.
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bosch AGM 12v
Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:00 pm

Old news, but it says something, IMO, that Musk wanted this headline today.

Tesla enters race to build self-driving car

(Reuters) - Electric car company Tesla Motors is working to produce a car capable of running on "auto-pilot" within the next three years, CEO Elon Musk said, joining tech giant Google and rival carmakers in the race to roll a driverless car into the market.

The California-based company's autonomous car would allow the driver to hand 90 percent of the control of the car over to the vehicle's computer system, Musk said in an interview with the Financial Times newspaper.

Fully autonomous cars would take longer to develop, he said.

The self-driving car would be developed in-house using Tesla's own technology, not that of another company, Musk said in comments confirmed by a Tesla spokesperson...

Germany's Daimler AG and Japan's Nissan have both said they hope to begin selling self-driving cars by the end of the decade.

Daimler already offers technology that allows for partly automated driving such as traffic jam assistance in its top-line S-Class Mercedes, which can maintain distance to other cars in stop-and-go situations.

Google has fitted out several cars with radar-like equipment that lets them navigate roads in California and Nevada. Google did not immediately respond to an inquiry about the status of its driverless car program.

California Governor Jerry Brown signed a law last year allowing the Mountain View-based internet giant to test its self-driving cars on the road.
http://news.yahoo.com/tesla-enters-race ... ector.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
no condition is permanent

TomT

Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:01 pm

+1! It's hard to get all the years of racing out of my system...
mwalsh wrote:LOL! Maybe I will Paul, though the autonomous stuff is of little interest to me. I'm a driver, in every sense of the word. Of course, if it keeps all the idiots who can't drive out of my way, then perhaps the technology has validity after all! I just don't want it in any of my cars.
Last edited by TomT on Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

TomT

Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:04 pm

I suspect it will be a longer than that... Even then, it will be an option or at least disableable...
edatoakrun wrote:IMO, in ~ a decade or so, you probably won't many options to buy a new car without it.

Return to “Off-Topic”