cwerdna
Posts: 10989
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Autonomous Vehicles, LEAF and others...

Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:59 am

Thanks to a thread over at TMC, I learned of these 3 videos from Yandex, a Russian company that I've mentioned before.

There's nobody in the driver's seat of the first video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhqyrze30bk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn_i6Mxc_Pw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUXxzDUw9eA

I guess they like Prius v wagons. They were used in videos 1 and 3 + some previous ones.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

User avatar
jlv
Moderator
Posts: 1413
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:08 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Autonomous Vehicles, LEAF and others...

Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:18 am

At 1:41 in the first video it pulls up behind a LEAF at a traffic light.

And the display on the tablet looks very similar to a product by a company I might know. (I'd recently seem their product close up)
LEAF '13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17, sold 11/18) 34K mi, AHr 58, SOH 87%
Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Tesla X 100D (12/18)
97K 100% BEV miles since '14
ICE free since '18

cwerdna
Posts: 10989
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Autonomous Vehicles, LEAF and others...

Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:34 pm


'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna
Posts: 10989
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Autonomous Vehicles, LEAF and others...

Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:42 am

lorenfb wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:05 pm
GaleHawkins wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:34 am
I think Autonomous is going to become huge it the next 5 years.
Really? AVs are more difficult than some realized five years ago:
In 2015, I got obsessed with the idea of driverless trucks and started Starsky Robotics. In 2016, we became the first street-legal vehicle to be paid to do real work without a person behind the wheel. In 2018, we became the first street-legal truck to do a fully unmanned run, albeit on a closed road. In 2019, our truck became the first fully-unmanned truck to drive on a live highway. And in 2020, we’re shutting down.
...
https://medium.com/starsky-robotics-blo ... b8a6a8a5f5
60 Minutes had a rerun of a story about autonomous trucking. They brought up Starsky and Tusimple. Starsky sent out their truck on the Florida turnpike w/o a safety driver behind the wheel. Oh well, that wasn't enough given the Medium post.

Video at https://www.cbsnews.com/news/driverless ... 020-03-15/ is behind the CBS All Access paywall but it looks like the text is a transcript.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GaleHawkins
Posts: 348
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:24 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Oct 2019
Leaf Number: 311365
Location: Murray KY

Re: Autonomous Vehicles, LEAF and others...

Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:36 am

After doing some reading over the weekend and listening to some of Elon Musk's autonomous driving key employees speak it seems like there is no other company is as advanced in the industry as Tesla now in the last half of 2020.

https://www.iii.org/article/backgroun ... nsurance

"A 2014 study by the University of Texas at Austin of how the advent of autonomous cars may change vehicle ownership found that each shared autonomous vehicle (SAV) replaced about 11 conventional vehicles. The study assumed that only 5 percent of trips would be made by SAVs."

Even proven hardware and software solutions is ONLY the first step necessary for full autonomous vehicles to gain full access to USA streets and interstates. Head winds in the political environment can blow progress backwards. I see Tesla's China market may offer the first options for full autonomous driving since they do not have political parties and liability issues like in the USA.

cwerdna
Posts: 10989
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Autonomous Vehicles, LEAF and others...

Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:56 am

cwerdna wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:42 am
lorenfb wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:05 pm
GaleHawkins wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:34 am
I think Autonomous is going to become huge it the next 5 years.
Really? AVs are more difficult than some realized five years ago:
In 2015, I got obsessed with the idea of driverless trucks and started Starsky Robotics. In 2016, we became the first street-legal vehicle to be paid to do real work without a person behind the wheel. In 2018, we became the first street-legal truck to do a fully unmanned run, albeit on a closed road. In 2019, our truck became the first fully-unmanned truck to drive on a live highway. And in 2020, we’re shutting down.
...
https://medium.com/starsky-robotics-blo ... b8a6a8a5f5
60 Minutes had a rerun of a story about autonomous trucking. They brought up Starsky and Tusimple. Starsky sent out their truck on the Florida turnpike w/o a safety driver behind the wheel. Oh well, that wasn't enough given the Medium post.

Video at https://www.cbsnews.com/news/driverless ... 020-03-15/ is behind the CBS All Access paywall but it looks like the text is a transcript.
update: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/driverless ... 2020-08-23 has the video not behind a paywall.
GaleHawkins wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:36 am
After doing some reading over the weekend and listening to some of Elon Musk's autonomous driving key employees speak it seems like there is no other company is as advanced in the industry as Tesla now in the last half of 2020.
LOL! If you believe it, then I guess you've drank the kool-aid and/or been deceived by their hype. You wouldn't be the first...

Ask yourself again why they don't haven't had diddly squat in terms of CA autonomous vehicle testing stats reported to the CA DMV (https://thelastdriverlicenseholder.com/ ... port-2019/ for the most recent year) ever since reporting was required nor anything equivalent to show in actual operation like that of Waymo, Cruise Automation or a robotaxi service that companies like Waymo, Aptiv w/Lyfy (in Vegas) and various Chinese companies have been running. Or, look at Mobileye's been doing (e.g. viewtopic.php?p=582537#p582537). Mobileye looks like they've posted more videos at https://www.youtube.com/c/Mobileye/videos.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 15270
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Autonomous Vehicles, LEAF and others...

Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:31 pm

Tesla may be doing development in secret, without the required reporting. It doesn't make sense, though, to assume both that that is happening and that they are ahead of the competition, with no evidence beyond Musk's pronouncements.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna
Posts: 10989
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Autonomous Vehicles, LEAF and others...

Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:50 pm

As a reminder (which apparently was a response to Gale) was my reply at viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10233&p=576960&hilit=dmv#p576960.

Do take a look at the CA DMV autonomous vehicle disengagement reports for all the years at https://web.archive.org/web/20190425134 ... us/testing for Tesla vs. say Waymo and Cruise Automation.

2019 at https://web.archive.org/web/20200229140 ... eport_2019. Tesla for 2019 did a whopping 12.2 miles. Per https://thelastdriverlicenseholder.com/ ... port-2019/, that year, Waymo did 1.4 million autonomous miles on CA roads w/a disengagement every 13,219 miles. This also assumes Baidu's results are bogus/totally suspect.

It's likely that Tesla is doing some of their on public road autonomous testing outside CA (thus not needed to report to CA DMV) but given Tesla's and Elon's style of hype, why can't they at least show they meet/exceed other known leaders in the space? Why won't they let reporters ride, film and report? How about the general public? How about a beta of a robotaxi like Waymo's been doing for years? It can start out closed w/NDAs and open up later, just like Waymo's done...

When Elon keeps making pronouncements then keeps missing them over and over, while others have already seemingly achieved his aspirations, it makes Elon's credibility in this space rather low and it leads to me to believe they're way behind the leaders + some others who aren't leaders.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GaleHawkins
Posts: 348
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:24 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Oct 2019
Leaf Number: 311365
Location: Murray KY

Re: Autonomous Vehicles, LEAF and others...

Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:02 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:31 pm
Tesla may be doing development in secret, without the required reporting. It doesn't make sense, though, to assume both that that is happening and that they are ahead of the competition, with no evidence beyond Musk's pronouncements.
I need to get some bush hogging done right now but I will try to get you some links to get you up to speed how Tesla is a moving forward and with hardware and software.

cwerdna
Posts: 10989
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Autonomous Vehicles, LEAF and others...

Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:29 pm

^^^
Please watch the video at https://www.cbsnews.com/news/driverless ... 2020-08-23.

Re-examine the dates at https://www.inverse.com/article/55141-e ... us-driving under "A Comprehensive Timeline of Elon Musk’s Autonomy Timelines" that I pointed you to at https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic. ... 60#p576960.

Look over the CA DMV disengagement reports for Tesla vs. a few leaders in the years I pointed you to.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “Off-Topic”