cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Re: Autonomous Vehicles, LEAF and others...

Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:09 pm

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/08/26/vw- ... ron-china/
Volkswagen AG said on Wednesday it will start testing autonomous vehicles in China's eastern city of Hefei, its first in the world's biggest car market.

China has become a hot spot for trying out autonomous driving vehicles. Toyota-backed Pony.ai, Baidu Inc, Nissan-backed WeRide and Didi Chuxing are all testing autonomous cars in different cities as automakers and tech companies are investing billions in the technology.
Self-Driving Cars Learn to Read the Body Language of People on the Street
Game developers use motion-capture tech to teach Cruise’s autonomous vehicles to understand gestures
https://spectrum.ieee.org/transportatio ... the-street

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GaleHawkins
Delivery Date: 15 Oct 2019
Leaf Number: 311365

Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:36 am

cwerdna wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:09 pm
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/08/26/vw- ... ron-china/
Volkswagen AG said on Wednesday it will start testing autonomous vehicles in China's eastern city of Hefei, its first in the world's biggest car market.

China has become a hot spot for trying out autonomous driving vehicles. Toyota-backed Pony.ai, Baidu Inc, Nissan-backed WeRide and Didi Chuxing are all testing autonomous cars in different cities as automakers and tech companies are investing billions in the technology.
Self-Driving Cars Learn to Read the Body Language of People on the Street
Game developers use motion-capture tech to teach Cruise’s autonomous vehicles to understand gestures
https://spectrum.ieee.org/transportatio ... the-street
China's laws may better promote self driving since they have more modern roads in some regions.

cwerdna

Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:10 am

GaleHawkins wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:36 am
China's laws may better promote self driving since they have more modern roads in some regions.
In some parts of China, driving there is nuts. I've been to Beijing and Shanghai.

I watched all 4 parts of this when it originally aired: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTKRk4EEhYM. I really enjoyed it. I hope it doesn't get taken down. Skip to about 1:50 to see what driving is like there. Feel free to speed up the video via the gear icon, which I couldn't do when I originally watched it on my TiVo.

From what I recall of the video and my time there in late 08, it's about right. People don't drive very safely there and there's a lot of honking. Supposedly. Shanghai made unnecessary honking illegal long ago so what a friend of mine told me (who was living there) is that what I heard was already a HUGE improvement vs. before.

Skip to 19:20 or so for more a flavor of what it's like, esp. 19:28 to ~20:20. And, yes people cross the street haphazardly there.

'19 Bolt Premier

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:42 am

cwerdna wrote:
In some parts of China, driving there is nuts. I've been to Beijing and Shanghai.
I have some most vivid memories of being in cars in China while there for work. I was working with several Chinese nationals who worked for my companies local office and traveling quite a bit locally. We'd take a taxi between offices and/or the train station and airport. The taxi driver would often pass slow cars in front of us by crossing the double yellow line into the oncoming lane of traffic. One day we were running late to catch a train and so "Grace" asked the driving to hurry up. He not only crossed the double yellow to pass a slower car, he went over to the 2nd lane of oncoming traffic just to pass someone else who had already cross the double yellow in front of us. I was in the front seat that ride. That scene still plays out in my nightmares.
LEAF '13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17, sold 11/18, 34K mi, AHr 58, SOH 87%)
Tesla S 75D (3/17, 45K mi)
Tesla X 100D (12/18, 23K mi)
ICE free since '18
100K+ 100% BEV miles since '14

GRA

Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:33 pm

GCC:
USDOT launches online tracking tool for data on automated driving systems on-road testing

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2020/0 ... vtest.html
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:21 am

jlv wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:42 am
cwerdna wrote:
I have some most vivid memories of being in cars in China while there for work. I was working with several Chinese nationals who worked for my companies local office and traveling quite a bit locally. We'd take a taxi between offices and/or the train station and airport. The taxi driver would often pass slow cars in front of us by crossing the double yellow line into the oncoming lane of traffic. One day we were running late to catch a train and so "Grace" asked the driving to hurry up. He not only crossed the double yellow to pass a slower car, he went over to the 2nd lane of oncoming traffic just to pass someone else who had already cross the double yellow in front of us. I was in the front seat that ride. That scene still plays out in my nightmares.
I can imagine how a typical "road warrior" would respond to autonomous vehicles on the road, keeping in mind that such cars will likely be programmed to stay within legal speed limits and make cautious maneuvers. In my experience the more you obey the traffic laws, the more the Type A drivers lose their minds. And knowing that the autonomous vehicle's response to a forceful bump will be to "pull over safely", I'd expect them to end up "cosmetically challenged" at best. Programming the rules of the road is one thing. Winning a game of Chicken is another.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

cwerdna

Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:14 pm

GRA wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:55 pm
ABG:
Uber won't face criminal charges in fatal Arizona self-driving crash
For the backup driver, it might be another matter
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/06/ube ... driving-c/
Uber Technologies is not criminally liable in a March 2018 crash in Tempe, Arizona, in which one of the company's self-driving cars struck and killed a pedestrian, prosecutors said on Tuesday.

The Yavapai County Attorney said in a letter made public that there was "no basis for criminal liability" for Uber, but that the back-up driver, Rafaela Vasquez, should be referred to the Tempe police for additional investigation. . . .

Vasquez, the Uber back-up driver, could face charges of vehicular manslaughter, according to a police report in June. Vasquez has not previously commented and could not immediately be reached on Tuesday.

Based on a video taken inside the car, records collected from online entertainment streaming service Hulu and other evidence, police said last year that Vasquez was looking down and streaming an episode of the television show "The Voice" on a phone until about the time of the crash. The driver looked up a half-second before hitting Elaine Herzberg, 49, who died from her injuries.

Police called the incident "entirely avoidable."

Yavapai County Attorney's Office, which examined the case at the request of Maricopa County where the accident occurred, did not explain the reasoning for not finding criminal liability against Uber. Yavapai sent the case back to Maricopa, calling for further expert analysis of the video to determine what the driver should have seen that night. . . .
Backup driver in fatal Arizona Uber self-driving car crash charged with negligent homicide
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/15/associa ... arged.html

'19 Bolt Premier

cwerdna

Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:09 pm

Speeding Tesla driver caught napping behind the wheel on Alberta highway
Driver and passenger were reclined in their seats while car in autopilot, RCMP say
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton ... -1.5727828

'19 Bolt Premier

GaleHawkins
Delivery Date: 15 Oct 2019
Leaf Number: 311365

Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:34 pm

cwerdna wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:09 pm
Speeding Tesla driver caught napping behind the wheel on Alberta highway
Driver and passenger were reclined in their seats while car in autopilot, RCMP say
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton ... -1.5727828
They are about there with their full self driving version of software I read today. That Elon is the leader without question.

cwerdna

Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:46 pm

GaleHawkins wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:34 pm
They are about there with their full self driving version of software I read today. That Elon is the leader without question.
LOL

'19 Bolt Premier

Return to “Off-Topic”