Boomer23
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011

Re: Anyone into electric cycling?

Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:43 pm

So I went to Electric Cyclery expecting to have the BionX 48V kit put on my GT Avalanche, but no such Luck. It wouldn't fit because the rear dropouts on my bike weren't deep enough to accept the axle of the BionX motor properly. The installer wasn't comfortable with the fit, and if he wasn't, I certainly wasn't going to push it. Words like "possible catastrophic failure" weren't reassuring.

So long story short, I rolled out with my second choice, a more expensive Stromer. Based on web research, I'd thought that all I needed was the "entry level" model for $2,850. But come to find out that was the 2011 model and no longer available. By the time I left, I'd talked myself up to the top line Elite model, with 27 speeds, and hydraulic disk brakes.

Oh well, my LEAF Is saving me gas money, right?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Volusiano
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2011

Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:55 am

asinclair wrote:There is a local manufacturer her in Marin making a very cool e-bike: http://picycle.com/[url][/url]

I test rode one at an EV-event and it was fun, can't say how it works in the 'real world' however...
I checked out their web site and like it a lot, until I look at the $6K price and I just about flipped over in my chair.

keydiver
Delivery Date: 08 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 16484

Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:52 am

My wife was having problems keeping up on our bike rides, so I bought her an "E-bike" off eBay a couple years ago. It works great. Variable pedal assist works nice and smooth. The biggest problem I've had is finding out she has too much assist dialed in, and she's not getting any exercise! :lol: I ride it once I a while, to go to the Post Office or grocery store, and it is addictive. The E-bike is VERY heavy framed though, making it cumbersome when you run out of battery power. If I recall, I waited until after Christmas, and got 15% off, so I only paid ~$900 for it. :D
2012 Glacier Pearl SL - Delivered December 8, 2011
10kW Solar PV for recharging!
2006 Prius with Hymotion 5kWh PHEV upgrade
Tesla 70D | Titanium Metallic | Matte Obeche Wood Décor| All Glass Panoramic Roof
Tesla Model 3 Pre-Ordered!

ampitupco
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2012
Leaf Number: 17235

Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:30 am

Volusiano wrote:
asinclair wrote:There is a local manufacturer her in Marin making a very cool e-bike: http://picycle.com/[url][/url]

I test rode one at an EV-event and it was fun, can't say how it works in the 'real world' however...
I checked out their web site and like it a lot, until I look at the $6K price and I just about flipped over in my chair.
Apparently, the Picycles are $2500 now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUcSqqKHiqE
ampitupco
2015 LEAF SV
2012 LEAF SL: 33000 miles 229 GID / 55.7Ahr (10/2015) [SOLD]
LEAF Energy iOS app
Nissan LEAFs For Sale
Denver LEAF Owners

Boomer23

Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:57 pm

First trip report on the Stromer e-bike:

Distance: 22.4 miles, fairly flat terrain with a few hills and underpasses.
Average speed: 13.1 mph using pedal assist almost exclusively, rather than throttle
Battery status: indicated 50% upon return (ind. 95% at full charge before trip), so the claimed 45 mile range is realistic with a new battery and a 200 lb rider.

A really fun ride. I used mostly the two lowest assist settings except when hill climbing. I passed everyone on the trails that wasn't dressed in Lycra and riding a skinny road bike. I could have kept pace with them, but I didn't want to ride with a crowd and I wanted to keep my speed below about 15 mph on a somewhat crowded trail, just for safety. I did get some exercise and I feel like I rode maybe 7 or 8 miles instead of 22.

The only mechanical problem was that a couple times I noticed that I wasn't getting any assist even though the display showed that I was in assist mode. This was after re-starting after a rest stop. It was probably my error or something easily worked around. A quick off/on cycle fixed it. The nice thing was, though, that the bike's gearing made it reasonably easy to ride even without assist, despite it being a very heavy 62 pound bike.

I'm impressed.
Last edited by Boomer23 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Boomer23

Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:11 pm

ampitupco wrote:
Volusiano wrote:

Apparently, the Picycles are $2500 now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUcSqqKHiqE
Nice video. Susan Carpenter is very cool.

Compared with the Stromer, the Picycle has a noisy drive train from what I hear on the video. The Stromer is silent. I don't like the front hub drive placement, the throttle control switch operation, the shifter design, the fact that the batteries appear sealed inside the frame, and the look of the bike. Not a fan.

Volusiano
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2011

Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:16 pm

OK, $2500 is much better than $6K. But who do trust more? A price claimed on a youtube video? Or an official price posted on the company's website?

For the kind of motor and capacity size of the battery, I really doubt that it's $2500. But I've emailed the company asking for price clarification. I'll post back here when I hear back from them.

Even at $2500, the lack of front and rear suspension on a 70 lbs bike is puzzling. The bumps must be pretty jarring...

The 30 mph top speed is nice, but now it would require license and registration in many states.

Boomer23

Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:25 pm

Volusiano wrote:
Even at $2500, the lack of front and rear suspension on a 70 lbs bike is puzzling. The bumps must be pretty jarring...
Strangely enough, Stromer is deleting suspension as standard beginning next year, though it will be optional, and the same with the power on demand throttle. Probably trying to keep costs down and avoid pricing themselves out of the market.

jkirkebo
Delivery Date: 30 Oct 2011
Leaf Number: 007344

Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:36 pm

I have a self-converted ebike. The bike is a full suspension Giant NRS 2 with hydraulic disc brakes. It is fitted with a rear-wheel Ezee motor and a 25A Infineon controller. I built a triangular battery which fits in a custom bag inside the frame. The battery is built from Sony LiMn 18650 cells taken from Bosch FatPacks which once could be gotten cheap on ebay. Battery specs is 10Ah@48V.

My cruising speed on level ground is about 26mph and max power output is around 1.3kW. Power is controlled by twist throttle only (left side). Right side is twist gear shifter (SRAM X0).

ENIAC
Delivery Date: 13 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 224

Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:57 pm

In 2004 I built a simple electric bike using a Currie US Pro-Drive that I installed on my old Peugeot U.S. Express city bike. I put a lot of miles on that E-bike. I would even take it mountain biking. It was a blast. Because of the extra weight of the electric motor and batteries, I eventually wore the bike out.
Myths And Facts About Electric Cars

"The ice doesn't care"
-- WetEV

Return to “Off-Topic”