GRA

Re: Anyone into electric cycling?

Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:59 pm

Boomer23 wrote:Just thought that I'd post an update that I'm still riding an hour a day, about 6 days a week, on my favorite hilly, scenic 10 mile route. I've adopted the discipline to keep the motor assist at the lowest of the four levels so that I get some decent exercise.

The last third of that route is down hill, so I've begun putting the controller in RECUP mode (regen braking) while going down steepish hills, and pedaling part of that distance to add regen and get more exercise. The regen is pretty minimal and it only adds 2% or so charge on a 10 minute downhill that would usually have me coasting at 20 mph or so.

The battery range is staying constant at about 45 miles with pedaling on flat ground at the lowest level of motor assist.
Thanks for the update; I was thinking of asking if you'd been cutting back due to rain or shorter days.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Boomer23
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011

Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:59 pm

GRA wrote: Thanks for the update; I was thinking of asking if you'd been cutting back due to rain or shorter days.
I've managed to fit in an hour of riding either before or after a rain shower, one good aspect of riding on paved trails versus dirt tracks.

I took a 20 mile ride to the beach along Newport's Upper Bay this morning, one of my favorite rides and a very scenic one, with a lot of wild bird sightings along the way.

By the way, I've learned a lot about managing lithium battery health from my LEAF experience and this forum. My bike's poorly written manual implies that I should fully charge the battery after each ride, suggesting that I should keep the battery fully charged for storage. I'm sure that the guys who wrote the manual were concerned about customers allowing the battery to sit at low SOC, with the potential of battery damage from low charge. Instead of keeping mine at full charge (displayed as about 98% SOC on the LCD "dashboard"), I try to keep it between 40% and 70%.

Lots of interest in the bike, by the way, at coffee stops, mostly from people in my age group, strangely enough. :lol: :lol:
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hill
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 0659

Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:38 am

I do the same thing Phil . . . . charge up, then ride to about 35% - 45% depleted, then stow it. I, unlike you, haven't been stout enough to brave the cooler days. But this morning it's in the 50's so whoo hoo! I'll be out & about in 20 minutes or so. I'll say one thing about riding my 1st "beach cruiser" style bike that feels strange. On the weekends, there are lots of bike riding clubs/groups that jet around Lake Forest / Irvine. When you pass a bunch of touring bike style riders on a grade (where Irvine Blvd crosses the great park) and their all wearing their jerseys ... padded riding shorts, toe clips etc - it just looks wrong to see a 'cruiser' guy blow by 'em wearing a Leaf T shirt and cargo shorts. :D

GRA

Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:51 pm

Now that we're 'officially' into summer, I was wondering if our e-bike riders are still using them.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

Boomer23
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011

Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:38 pm

Yes, absolutely.

I settled into an almost daily 10 mile, hilly ride on weekdays during the Spring. The ride takes me less than an hour, gets me into some beautiful local scenery, including some canyons and a reservoir, and a downhill with some outstanding views. Unless I have something else on the calendar on weekend mornings, I'll often take a 20 mile ride to the beach and back, over our excellent local bike trail system.

The run-up to summer has been busy for us, along with some changes in our child care schedule, so the morning rides sometimes get canceled in favor of some special time with our little granddaughter. But when time allows, you can bet I'll be out there.

From what I can tell, in 9 months and about 1400 miles of riding, the 10 AH Lithium pack on my Stromer hasn't seen any reduction in capacity. I gauge this by observing the SOC% on the LCD "dashboard" before and after my identical 10 mile rides. From what I can see, if I keep the level of assist the same (the lowest assist level out of four) these rides always take about 23% of the pack capacity, regardless of the SOC reading before the ride. So with a 10.4 mile trip length over the same route and back to base, I'm seeing the same percentage reduction in SOC. For this route and level of effort, I'm still estimating that the bike will go 45 miles.

It's also been fun to have the bike at some of our local LEAF group gatherings. Some of the folks are into biking, some have ebikes already, so they can compare mine with their own, and the test rides usually generate some grins from the riders.
2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier Kinetic Blue
Blog: http://drivingelectric.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hill
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 0659

Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:54 pm

Even as we discuss the fun of ebiking - I'm reminded of new york's take on electric assist bikes:
"... The officials in charge of New York City have had enough of e-bikes and are clamping down and intensifying enforcement on a law made back in 2004 that electric bikes are illegal in the entire state of New York. It was announced on April 12th on the city hall steps by city council member Jessica Lappin that the fine for riding an electric bike in New York has been increased from $500 to $1000. ..."
http://www.electricbike.com/ebike-illegal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The rational is that many ride them in an unsafe manner. Funny thing - they don't ban autos, or regular bikes, or motorcycles, or mopeds for unsafe riding / driving.

GRA

Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:32 pm

hill wrote:Even as we discuss the fun of ebiking - I'm reminded of new york's take on electric assist bikes:
"... The officials in charge of New York City have had enough of e-bikes and are clamping down and intensifying enforcement on a law made back in 2004 that electric bikes are illegal in the entire state of New York. It was announced on April 12th on the city hall steps by city council member Jessica Lappin that the fine for riding an electric bike in New York has been increased from $500 to $1000. ..."
http://www.electricbike.com/ebike-illegal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The rational is that many ride them in an unsafe manner. Funny thing - they don't ban autos, or regular bikes, or motorcycles, or mopeds for unsafe riding / driving.
The 'e-bikes' they've banned are in fact mopeds, capable of much higher speeds than the 16-18 mph max. typical of a pedal-assist bike. They do need to clarify the terminology.

mxp
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:35 pm

I can't seem to find any website in the US that sells either of these BMW electric bicycles:

1. i Pedelec
http://www.electricbike.com/bmw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2. Cruise Electric
http://www.highsnobiety.com/2013/03/21/ ... tric-bike/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:02 pm

I ride the E-bike with the best 'enjoyment to cost' ratio: the Currie EZIP Trailz. The 10AH OEM lead-acid pack was adequate for my needs because I want to pedal all the time, but for various reasons I replaced it with a 10lb (the OEM weighs 18lbs) Ping lithium pack with BMS. The bike has been unused for the last two weeks because I have developed several strain type injuries, but I'm eager to get back on it and ride 15 miles at a time again. Or, if I want, 50. ;-) I also avoid storing the pack at 100% charge, and with 20AH available I don't even need to recharge after every ride.

One thing to consider when looking to buy a bike, especially an expensive one, is what your priorities are. Hubmotors are discreet and quiet, but tend to be lacking in torque. Geared motors (the EZIPs use a parallel chain drive) are noisier, but also less complex and can give you whatever combination of power and speed you want, according to the final drive ratio. The big advantage with the EZIP is that you can buy one for $400, learn to ride under assist on it (it has both pedal assist and throttle), and if you like it you can upgrade the battery pack and/or change the drive ratio. If you don't like the bike, you've only spent $400, not $1400...
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Rat
Delivery Date: 08 Sep 2011

Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:22 pm

I don't have an electric bike, but I did see a man on a Segway waiting to cross Foothill Expressway at the light at Homestead today. That's a first for me. He was wearing a helmet. The area he came from is very hilly. He waved to me as I made my turn in front of him - EV to EV, I suppose.
2011 SL down to 9 capacity bars
OnWords

Return to “Off-Topic”