jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Re: Tesla's autopilot, on the road

Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:25 am

The Tesla driver said the vehicle was on Autopilot and he was checking on his dog in the back seat prior to the crash. The driver was issued a misdemeanor summons for reckless driving; no one involved was seriously injured.
Pretty clear this driver should lose their license for a while.
LEAF '13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17, sold 11/18) 34K mi, AHr 58, SOH 87%
Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Tesla X 100D (12/18)
97K 100% BEV miles since '14
ICE free since '18

GRA

Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:30 pm

C&D:
NHTSA Investigating Indiana Crash Where Tesla Model 3 Hit Fire Truck
The driver rear-ended a fire truck in late December, and as in other cases, Tesla's Autopilot is suspected (but not confirmed) to be involved.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3047 ... ire-truck/

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is now taking up two fatal Tesla crashes potentially involving Autopilot, both of which coincidentally occurred on the same day, December 29. The first, in Gardena, California, involved a Model S running through a stoplight and crashing into the side of a Honda Civic, killing both occupants in that car. This latest investigation, first brought to light by Reuters earlier this week, involves a married couple in a Model 3 who collided into the rear of a fire truck on Interstate 70 in Cloverdale, Indiana, just west of Indianapolis. According to the Indianapolis Star, Derrick Monet, 25, hit the truck—which had its lights flashing while parked in the left lane—at a high rate of speed. His wife, Jenna Monet, 23, was in the front passenger seat. Both were taken to a local hospital where she was pronounced dead. The State Police report says the driver "failed to observe the emergency vehicle positioned in the passing lane of I-70, running into the back of the parked fire truck."

The one in Indiana with the fire truck sounds like it was another case of AP/AEB not recognizing a stopped vehicle as a legitimate target. I think this is the second fatality in such a crash (the first was in China). The one in Gardena could be human error or A/P. If A/P, this would be the first fatal A/P accident that caused the death of a non-occupant of the Tesla. If it proves to be so, expect lots of news coverage and political/government regulatory response.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:55 am

Tesla Model 3 Crash: Narrow UK Roads Are Not Autopilot Friendly
https://insideevs.com/news/393351/video ... lot-crash/

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

EVDRIVER

Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:05 am

cwerdna wrote:
That idiot driver deserved that for several reasons. It's not a narrow road it's a road with cars intruding in the lanes and a driver not using AP correctly. More FUD for the masses. AP is NOT FSD and any driver that did not take over long before that got what they deserved. What an idiot.

SalisburySam
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 24 Feb 2012
Leaf Number: 018156

Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:11 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:
cwerdna wrote:
That idiot driver deserved that for several reasons. It's not a narrow road it's a road with cars intruding in the lanes and a driver not using AP correctly. More FUD for the masses. AP is NOT FSD and any driver that did not take over long before that got what they deserved. What an idiot.
EVdriver, +1. Total FUD just because it’s a Tesla. Was the driver a 12-year-old?
Nissan 2012 LEAF SL, 13,500 miles, 9 bars, 35-mile range

Tesla Model 3: Long Range Rear Wheel Drive | Extended AutoPilot | Full Self-Driving | HW3 Upgrade
Delivered: July, 2018 | 15,200 miles | PM me for Tesla referral code

EVDRIVER

Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:49 pm

News flash, fire trucks fall from the sky and you don't have time to react. I never look at the road when driving even for huge objects far in front of me. I wish there was a feature on AP that drove all these people off a cliff so they are no longer on the road.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:36 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:
... AP is NOT FSD ...
True. Which is why it's tragic that Tesla insists on calling it "Autopilot". The general public are not pilots and do not understand the limitations, human factors, and responsibilities involved with the aircraft systems from which they appropriated the name.

Personally, until such time as full-time autonomy is approved, I don't think these systems should be allowed to have steering inputs at all except in case where an emergency situation has been detected and the driver is not responding appropriately. And even then the driver should be able to override the device's inputs.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

EVDRIVER

Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:55 pm

Nubo wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:
... AP is NOT FSD ...
True. Which is why it's tragic that Tesla insists on calling it "Autopilot". The general public are not pilots and do not understand the limitations, human factors, and responsibilities involved with the aircraft systems from which they appropriated the name.

Personally, until such time as full-time autonomy is approved, I don't think these systems should be allowed to have steering inputs at all except in case where an emergency situation has been detected and the driver is not responding appropriately. And even then the driver should be able to override the device's inputs.
No the general public ignores common sense. Does not matter what it is called they know the limitations if the read.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:39 pm

EVDRIVER wrote:
Nubo wrote:
EVDRIVER wrote:
... AP is NOT FSD ...

No the general public ignores common sense. Does not matter what it is called they know the limitations if the read.
Safety-critical systems must take human factors into account. Even such highly proficient and trained people as professional pilots can (and do) fall victim to design-induced failure scenarios when human factors are not thoughtfully considered.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

GRA

Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:33 pm

Nubo wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:39 pm
EVDRIVER wrote:
Nubo wrote:

Safety-critical systems must take human factors into account. Even such highly proficient and trained people as professional pilots can (and do) fall victim to design-induced failure scenarios when human factors are not thoughtfully considered.
+1000.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Return to “Off-Topic”