DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862

Re: PG&E Shutting off power.

Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:09 am

Thanks for that. It is now on my list.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 25,185 miles SOH 92.23%
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:14 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:24 am
What about wheel blocks for extra security?
Unfortunately, I didn't have any. I'd looked into buying some but I recall seeing some not getting great reviews (e.g. ineffective, flattened/distorted by a car moving).

I expected to be without power until at least Friday but it came back probably around 3 pm on Thursday.

Inverter worked well for me. I did run into the Bolt's stupid 1 hour shutdown if left in park. Leaving it in neutral w/parking brake on worked. I set a timer on my phone and came back every hour to check, eventually every 2 hours, just in case. I mainly just had to listen for the pedestrian noisemaker which is constantly emitting noise while in neutral. :roll:

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:21 pm

We have been having occasional 6+ hour outages here. I have put together a 200AH/20AH (I'll likely up it to 300AH) UPS to power some household circuits, but I'm also looking at using my Leaf just to power a circuit to run a battery charger for said UPS.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

ripple4
Delivery Date: 18 Sep 2018

Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:43 pm

Reading news articles about the PGE power stopage it sounds like many people with grid-tied solar didn't expect the blackout to effect them. to be fair, everyone seems unprepared for the gravity of powering off so many million people.

This slightly dated article suggest that like hurricane Irma for PR and Harvey for Houston, this power stoppage this will spur a wave of home battery installs.
https://qz.com/1632555/californias-wild ... ar-panels/

the same website had another even more dated article about 'defection day.' so called when so may people are grid-independent that it will be the new normal.
https://qz.com/1274865/californias-sola ... -the-grid/

I really like what SUNRUN is doing in Hawaii, California and new England with the software controlled virtual power plant VPP idea.

danrjones
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2019

Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:48 am

WetEV wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:21 am
Oilpan4 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:32 am
They're more worried about the spotted owl.
Responsible forestry isn't letting it grow wild.

The useful idiot fake environmentalists have stopped forestry just outside of Albuquerque with in the last few weeks using the same bs they pull in California.
Wonder why there were forests before "Responsible forestry".
One big mistake we did in regards to forestry is that we put fires out. Fires are needed to keep the forest thinned and healthy. But we spent a century almost putting every fire out. So now you get conditions in regards to down, dead, dense and Beatle infestations that are far worse. We mismanaged fires for a century and now add in climate change and obviously a poor electric grid and you get conditions for fire storms.

One answer to why there were forests before we "managed" them is because nature burned them. So did the native Americans from some sources I've read. Sadly trying to let them burn now is difficult with the droughts, urban interface creeping into them, and fuel loads.
2018 Leaf SV Pearl White with Tech and All Weather, Purchased New on 5/3/19

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:42 am

danrjones wrote:
WetEV wrote:
Oilpan4 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:32 am
They're more worried about the spotted owl.
Responsible forestry isn't letting it grow wild.

The useful idiot fake environmentalists have stopped forestry just outside of Albuquerque with in the last few weeks using the same bs they pull in California.
One big mistake we did in regards to forestry is that we put fires out. Fires are needed to keep the forest thinned and healthy. But we spent a century almost putting every fire out. So now you get conditions in regards to down, dead, dense and Beatle infestations that are far worse. We mismanaged fires for a century and now add in climate change and obviously a poor electric grid and you get conditions for fire storms.

One answer to why there were forests before we "managed" them is because nature burned them. So did the native Americans from some sources I've read. Sadly trying to let them burn now is difficult with the droughts, urban interface creeping into them, and fuel loads.
I wonder if managed forestry and sustainable logging is not a better solution than fires.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/2018: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

danrjones
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2019

Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:14 am

SageBrush wrote:
danrjones wrote:
WetEV wrote:

I wonder if managed forestry and sustainable logging is not a better solution than fires.
That's a fair question and I do not know, but I would guess its location dependent. In arizona in the Rim country (SE of Flagstaff) they have thinned the forest and it came out pretty good. But the rim area is actually quite flat and accessible as mountains go. Parts of the Sierra are neither. You would end up logging by hand and helicopter. Probably not cost effective.

Fire though also has additional benefits such as returning nutrients to the ground, killing invasive species, etc. In fact some trees such as our giant sequoias require fire to release seeds from their cones.

Lightning fires were part of nature. Like most things in nature when man interferes you get some type of change.
2018 Leaf SV Pearl White with Tech and All Weather, Purchased New on 5/3/19

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:14 am

SageBrush wrote:
Many of the areas burning are not economical to log. The two fires near LA, for example.

WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:04 pm

cwerdna wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:14 pm
LeftieBiker wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:24 am
What about wheel blocks for extra security?
Unfortunately, I didn't have any. I'd looked into buying some but I recall seeing some not getting great reviews (e.g. ineffective, flattened/distorted by a car moving). ...
Even a small sections of 2x4 will make passable wheel chocks to keep the vehicle from rolling. Place in front of front wheels, behind rear wheels. If you want to be ambitious, cut into wedges. That allows you to push "under" the tire a bit and any tire movement loads down the chock more to keep it from slipping. When I was flying, wheel chocks were never anything more than wedges of wood. You don't really need to overthink wheel chocks.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:16 pm

My father drag-raced Volvos, and he had cast aluminum wheel blocks that never deformed a millimeter. I suppose that like everything now made in China, those standards are out the window...
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “Off-Topic”