Oilpan4
Delivery Date: 10 May 2018
Leaf Number: 004270

Re: COVID-19 aka 2019 (and 2020) Novel Coronavirus

Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:25 pm

And only 1 confired case in the US as of Thanksgiving of someone catching trumpvirus a 2nd time and it being worse than the first time they caught it.

To recap, my wife caught it at work, from her respiratory therapist friend earlier this year before this area had tests available. She has handled all the trumpvirus patients on her shift every day she worked since this summer when we realized we had it. I wish tests were available earlier this year so we could have known we already had it.
Last edited by Oilpan4 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
"THE ABOVE POST CONTAINS MISLEADING AND INACCURATE INFORMATION. PLEASE CONSIDER IT OPINION, NOT FACT". -someone who I offended and is unable to produce the facts in question.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:35 pm

You know that people here have lost relatives to this virus. Either edit that post to be less offensive, or prepare for a vacation from the site.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Oilpan4

Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:22 pm

What's the 4th option?
I'm open to suggestions.
"THE ABOVE POST CONTAINS MISLEADING AND INACCURATE INFORMATION. PLEASE CONSIDER IT OPINION, NOT FACT". -someone who I offended and is unable to produce the facts in question.

downeykp
Delivery Date: 31 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1931

Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:09 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:35 pm
You know that people here have lost relatives to this virus. Either edit that post to be less offensive, or prepare for a vacation from the site.
+1
2011 Black Leaf SL+QC Vin. 1931
Res. 6-14-10 Order 1-25-11
EVSE: Mod'd Ver. 2 Nissan L1
Delivered 5-31-11

9 years 38000mi. 5 bars

39 Suniva panels 10.3kw with Enphase micro inverters my electricity cost $26 a month.

Oilpan4

Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:42 am

The hits just keep coming.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... ction.html
As of November 27 this year the CDC still says "reinfection is rare". If "immunity only lasts 3 or 4 months" then reinfections wouldn't be rare and we would know it by now.
I thought you guys were all about listening to the scientists I guess only when it suits you.
So this is over for me everything returns to normal, aside from the restrictions I can't control or dodge. Who am I to argue with the cdc.

Furthermore the cdc is saying they are studying reinfections but they are so rare they are concentrating they're studies on Healthcare workers and severely immune compromised people.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... ction.html
My conclusion is that reinfections are so rare they really have to go out of their way to look for cases and even then are having trouble gathering enough data to make a study. Overall this is very good news unless you are cheering for the virus.

Then all I can find is a bunch of fear mongering news article about reinfection that appear to have no basis in reality. Pushing what appears to be a false narrative about "immunity only lasting 3 or 4 months". Yeah it was believable back in march that immunity might only last 3 or 4 months because we didn't know, but we are way past that now.

downeykp
Delivery Date: 31 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1931

Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:27 am

From MIT Medical:

MIT Medical answers your COVID-19 questions. Got a question about COVID-19? Send it to us at CovidQ@mit.edu, and we’ll do our best to provide an answer.

My daughter’s family and my sister-in-law’s family have all survived the COVID-19 virus. They want to include my husband and me in a holiday gathering. My daughter says this is safe for us, because everyone else who will be there is immune. But what if one of them was exposed to an infected person before our get-together? Could they somehow carry the virus to us and make us sick?

view of hands presenting a gift decorated with COVID-19 molecules with a tag reading 'to Grandma'

We’ve been getting questions like this more and more often recently. The short answer is that people who have recovered from COVID-19 cannot spread the virus to others unless they become reinfected themselves. The bad news is that reinfection is possible.

From what we know of other viruses, most experts think it’s likely that most people who recover from COVID-19 have some level of immunity for some period of time. But we don’t know how much immunity they have or how long it lasts. A recent study of a different type of coronavirus, the common cold, found that people were often reinfected within 12 months.

When we first wrote about the possibility of COVID-19 reinfections two months ago, we reported four confirmed cases. Today, we know of at least 30, but this is almost certainly an underestimate. This is because a confirmed case of reinfection requires genetic proof that the virus was sufficiently different the second time. Genomic sequencing of this type requires viral samples from both PCR tests; it also requires time, money, and other resources that are often in short supply. As a result, the number of confirmed reinfections is far lower than the more than 2,000 suspected cases that have been reported to date.

And it’s likely that many other instances of possible reinfection go unreported or, worse, undetected. Immunologists usually expect a second infection with the same virus to be milder than the first. If that holds true for most reinfections with the SARS-CoV-2 virus, many reinfected individuals could remain asymptomatic and untested but very much capable of transmitting the virus to others.

Unfortunately, this means that your relatives’ previous COVID-19 infections do not make them safe holiday companions for you, or even for each other. Nor does pre-holiday testing guarantee a safe gathering.

This holiday season, there’s no safe way to get together with people outside of your own household or bubble. But while it can feel like we’re all stuck in a never-ending marshmallow experiment, vaccines offer light at the end of this very long tunnel. Postponing extended-family gatherings now makes it more likely that we’ll be able to gather for holiday celebrations next year — and for many years to come.
2011 Black Leaf SL+QC Vin. 1931
Res. 6-14-10 Order 1-25-11
EVSE: Mod'd Ver. 2 Nissan L1
Delivered 5-31-11

9 years 38000mi. 5 bars

39 Suniva panels 10.3kw with Enphase micro inverters my electricity cost $26 a month.

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:34 am

The USA is number 1???

Ok, not.
U.S. ranks 43rd worldwide in sequencing to check for coronavirus variants like the one found in the U.K.
Or for that matter, to prove reinfections.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red
2019 eTron Blue

Oilpan4

Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:33 pm

The "3 to 4 month immunity" is definitely a lie considering I got trumpvirus back in late March or first week of April and had trumpvirus antibodies as of 2 weeks ago.
I'll believe 12 months. For now.
There's only 30 reinfections that they know of?
Wow, that's way less than I ever would have guessed. When the CDC said reinfections are rare it's effectivly a lie with out technically being a lie.
No wonder they're having trouble finding enough people to do a reinfection study...
Yeah I'm not going to worry about it.

Oilpan4

Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:36 pm

I'm going to call it. The lockdowns and shutdowns in NY and CA are absolute spectacular failures.
They have the strictest measures in place and lead the nation in death and spread. Everyone who can afford has already done so.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:05 pm

Oilpan4 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:36 pm
I'm going to call it. The lockdowns and shutdowns in NY and CA are absolute spectacular failures.
They have the strictest measures in place and lead the nation in death and spread.
If you sort https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/ by deaths per 1 million population, California has 625, ranking it 40th. 39 states have it worse. If you go to https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... cases.html look for Cases and deaths by state and county, select deaths then sort by deaths per 100,000, California is way down there.

If you sort by daily avg in last 7 days deaths per 100,000, California is about #35 in ranking. ~34 states are worse off.

That said, the raw case count and ICU capacity situation is quite bad here in CA.

As for "strictest measures in place", our "lockdowns" are still nothing to compared to what Wuhan and surrounding regions endured. It's not like people can't leave their homes. And it's not like we have the state or one's city or county having been sealed off (rail, air and road links cut) like China did. The amount of travel that's been going in the US has been insane: https://www.tsa.gov/coronavirus/passenger-throughput. That hasn't been stopped and although some cities and counties have put in "quarantine" orders if you travel 150 miles outside the region, uh... it doesn't seem like it's being enforced.

I guess the anti-maskers and people who don't take things seriously don't believe it or don't care about a 9/11 or Pearl Harbor-sized number of deaths each day in the US...

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “Off-Topic”