COVID-19 and Leaf and other EVs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyct

Leaf Supporting Member
One big advantage of owning an EV with this Virus is you may not need to go to a gas station and risk picking up something from the gas pump.

When we fill up our ICE car and truck we either use gloves or use hand sanitizer after handling the gas pump. Have an ESEV at home removes this threat. Love it.

Ages ago, Rotten Robbie gas stations in my city I think were known to have leaky/messy nozzles. I recall them having dispensers for clear single use plastic gloves. The material was like that of a clear plastic sandwich bag, maybe a bit thicker.

I can't recall any gas stations having that in recent memory but it's not like I bought gasoline much ever since I got my first '13 Leaf. Now that there aren't any ICEVs in my household, last time I bought gas was September 2019 where I was on a 3 city trip and had to buy gas numerous times.

cwerdna said:
Ages ago, Rotten Robbie gas stations in my city I think were known to have leaky/messy nozzles. I recall them having dispensers for clear single use plastic gloves. The material was like that of a clear plastic sandwich bag, maybe a bit thicker.

I can't recall any gas stations having that in recent memory but it's not like I bought gasoline much ever since I got my first '13 Leaf. Now that there aren't any ICEVs in my household, last time I bought gas was September 2019 where I was on a 3 city trip and had to buy gas numerous times.

I recall those gloves. Non-fitted and, like you say, a sort of sandwich-bag type of material. Though I remember it being quite a bit more crinkly thank sandwich bag material. Probably closer to cellophane.

Gasoline dispensers were rated one of the most contaminated items "most" of us come into contact with on a regular basis. After all, how many of us wash our hands before getting gas. Maybe its me but after getting gas, I wash my hands before using the bathroom simply because I don't want to touch anything personal with "gassy" hands.

The last 3 vacations I have been on out of town, Vegas we didn't rent a car. Michigan, we rented a car but I wasn't the driver so I just paid for gas when it was my turn but didn't actually pump anything so... I have not pumped gas in what will be 2 years on the 29th.

Being able to charge away from people (DCFC stations excepted) probably won't be enough to counteract the negative effect on EV sales of plummeting gas prices, but it will draw some people to EVs, especially if social distancing becomes a long term facet of the global culture.

At least I don't have to worry about fuel for my daily driver if they cut hours or close gas stations in attempt to minimize travel. I can drive up to 180 miles per day without needing to use public charging (over 200 miles if I keep the speed down). The convenience of charging at home is one of my main reasons for driving electric.

GerryAZ said:
At least I don't have to worry about fuel for my daily driver if they cut hours or close gas stations in attempt to minimize travel. I can drive up to 180 miles per day without needing to use public charging (over 200 miles if I keep the speed down). The convenience of charging at home is one of my main reasons for driving electric.

Gasoline is essential services so no reduction in service. I was in getting lottery tickets yesterday and they now have plexiglass shields in place so can breathe heavy on anyone. But the shield only extends down to mid chest. Still better than nothing I suppose.

I go to the ethanol free gas dispensary, just pumps no store front. It's about 10 to 20 cents more a gallon so not many people go there.
My wife's hybrid and the riding lawn mower still use gasoline.
Not that worried about it, more likely to be killed by a drunk driver or some idiot not paying attention driving.

I was appreciating the relative cleanliness of EV life even before having an even more important reason not to visit a gas station. The only time I go to a gas station now is to get my QuikTrip hot dog fix.

Back