Math Class Statistical Survey

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdbmania

This morning I logged into my online class and learned that my discussion board topic for this final week of class requires me to survey at least 15
people and its due tomorrow at midnight!

So, I thought I would bother you all to ask if you could take the survey! It's actually only one question and you can stay anonymous if you want.

How many "green" or eco-friendly products do you own? Simply PM me or post here your answer if you would be so kind! I am also supposed to set up
classes for the data I collect, e.g. sex, age, or time of day. I'm thinking that I'll organize the data into three groups, those of you who are first time EV owners with
the LEAF, those who have had previous EVs such as the EV-1 or conversions, and those who don't fit either group.

I think this will be fun!

Oh and I can post the results here too if you want.

Thanks Gary! I should add that energy-star compliant products can count too. I had forgotten about those! I'll even count organic materials, such as bed sheets, cleaning supplies, bio-degradable consumables. I'm not going to count food items.

Also, just to be clear, you don't have to give me any personal info other then how many "green" products you have and which group you fit in.

2 hybrid vehicles

lots of "green" stuff -
numerous computers, monitors, and IT gear marketed as "green" (say 3 dozen different IT things)

energy star refrigerator, freezer, washer, dryer

"green" TV's and other consumer electronics

what else is green? bicycles (vs. cars) ? kayaks (vs. powerboats)
organic food vs. 100% pure USDA all American beef?
low flow toilets, showers?

typing all of this stuff online instead of writing you a letter? :D

First time EV owner

Don't really buy "green" stuff (unless you count vegetables). I did buy a new refrigerator recently that I think was energy star rated.

I figured you needed someone at the far end of the statistical distribution. :D

No EV yet. Week of 4/26

33 260 watt Sharp solar panels

Nine bicycles

Four kayaks

Two canoes

Solar water heater

:mrgreen:

Will be first time EV owner.

Does a smart car count? It's made with several eco-friendly products, and is a 3-cylinder.

3 bikes

solar panels

Energy Star fridge & dishwasher

Electric lawn mower, weed eater, blower and power tools

Low flow shower head

Water filter (to not use bottled water)

Edit to add CFLs in entire house, LED Christmas lights, and organic baby mattress.

Hybrid Prius since 2007
Nissan LEAF for three weeks
Solar PV panels on roof for four years
Energy Star II refrigerator
Front loading Energy Star clothes washer
Low flow toilets
Three bicycles
All TVs and computer monitors are LCD, total of five screens. Wife also uses a laptop instead of a desktop.
Compact fluorescent lights throughout the house, about 65 bulbs if you want to count each one as a green "thing"
LED Christmas lights inside and out, probably 500 individual LEDs if you're counting... :lol:
My wife and I are both green "things".

First time EV owners.

This will be our 2nd EV ( had an EV1)
Solar PV panels
Energy Star frig
Energy Star washer & dryer
Energy Star dishwasher
Solar panels for camping trailer
Electric motorbike
3 lowflow toilets

VIN 1265

Leaf will be first EV

Other "green" products include:

All CFLs in house
Front loading energy star washer
Low flow showerhead
Energy star refrigerator with top freezer (lowest energy use I could find in this size)

Boy, I'm not sure if my response will count, because I really don't know exactly how many "green" things I own.

I've had a 2004 Prius since January of that year, if you count that as green, but actually I don't, since it burns gasoline.

I've been driving a Zap Xebra (100% electric car, 35 mph, 40 miles range) for four years, so that's one, and puts me in the category of previous EV owners. (Still waiting for a Leaf, but pretty discouraged at this point.)

I own a 2003 Porsche Carrera 911 EV conversion, but the original conversion was botched; I drove it for a month or so, and now it's being fixed; maybe I'll have it in another month or so. But I do technically own it, even though it's not here.

Maybe half a dozen of my light bulbs are CFLs. (But does a low-energy light bulb with mercury in it count as a "green" product?)

I don't know if my fridge is high efficiency or not. All my appliances came with the house when I bought it.

If you're counting "organic" clothing, I own a hemp belt and half a dozen hemp handkerchiefs. Hemp, as far as I know, is raised without chemicals. I bought those items from a store that also sells organic cotton.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Daniel

Hello,
55-60 age group
No previous EV
2003 Prius
2011 Leaf
5 Green appliances
Green Computer equipment
Do bicycles (2) count?
Sailboat - it doesn't get much greener than using the wind. :D

daniel said:
Maybe half a dozen of my light bulbs are CFLs. (But does a low-energy light bulb with mercury in it count as a "green" product?)
I would say yes, since burning coal is the major source of mercury pollution. The mercury in the CFL stays there as long as you don't break it, and you can recycle it to avoid mercury release into the environment.

Don't worry Daniel, your info is most helpful. And thanks to everyone for their input!

I only need one more person, but feel free to continue to post or PM me if you want to be included.
The results that I prepare will remain anonymous and I'm going to put it into a table or a graph,
probably with MS excel.

Ummmm,

Electric bicycle (e-bike)
"fake" grass (no water or maintenance)
solar panels
Hybrid car
Electric car (LEAF)
Whole-house fan
Eco-friendly washing machine

hope this helps...

sdbmania said:
Wow thanks for the replies everyone! Getting close to my quota quicker then I thought!

LakeLeave, have you ever had a pure EV before?

Nope - no previous EV ownership.

Hey - I forgot to mention all those stupid light bulbs I've replaced with florescents. Must be a couple dozen of them.

First EV
2006 Prius
4 kw solar
Tankless water heater
New high efficiency furnace
Elec bike
Satellite watering system
Lf toilets
Rain water barrels
Compost bin
Cfls and high efficiency halogen and some LEDs
All es appliances (except the dang wine fridge vice)

Ooo built green data center LEED silver at work
Just turned on 450 kw solar at work!

44/F

All this might offset the disastrous 11-yr old child (get out of the shower!)

Back