edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Anyone carry a folding bike in their LEAF?

Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:38 am

I've been thinking one could come in handy for getting around during those long waits for L2, until the DC infrastructure gets built.

Obviously, one that folds small enough to fit (mostly?) in the trunk well limits the design possibilities, as in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-HTht14 ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This (electric) one actually looks like it might also fit in the trunk well.
After years of fund-raising and development, the “Electric Swiss Army Bike” Voltitude is ready for full-scale production. The first batch of the bikes are being built now, and initial orders should be shipping before the new year!

With a 15 mph top speed and a 25 mile electric-only range (add “as far as you can pedal” to that for a total range), the little electric moped takes Swiss Army knife aesthetics and adds a fair bit of Swiss Army durability in the form of stainless steel and billet aluminum construction. The steel and aluminum frame is complimented with high-quality pedals, seat, and handlebars, as well. The bike’s makers haven’t cut corners, in other words, so you can expect a riding experience filled with high-end precision.

This is about as high-end as folding electric bicycles get, people. If an electric Swiss Army bike is your bag, then this is your bike...
http://gas2.org/2012/09/10/2013-voltitu ... gets-real/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
no condition is permanent

adric22
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 000768

Re: Anyone carry a folding bike in their LEAF?

Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:54 am

Actually.. I've been wanting some sort of compact/foldable bicycle that I could put in my Leaf. I like to go to the park to take walks (for exercise) and I'd really rather be riding a bike. But there isn't any easy way to fit a bike in the Leaf. And I won't so much as put a bumper sticker on my car, so a bike rack is out of the question. But I'm not sure this is what I'm looking for. It doesn't have to be an "E-Bike"
2013 Blue Nissan Leaf SV
2012 Summit White Chevy Volt

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:03 am

adric22 wrote:Actually.. I've been wanting some sort of compact/foldable bicycle that I could put in my Leaf. I like to go to the park to take walks (for exercise) and I'd really rather be riding a bike. But there isn't any easy way to fit a bike in the Leaf. And I won't so much as put a bumper sticker on my car, so a bike rack is out of the question. But I'm not sure this is what I'm looking for. It doesn't have to be an "E-Bike"
They start at $170 ("Tokyo"-$198 including shipping).

"Out of site" is a high priority for me, which leaves conventional bikes, inside or on a rack, out of the question.

http://www.citizenbike.com/catalog.asp? ... duct_id=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just checked the dimensions, and it looks like it should fit in the trunk well, and sit only about 1" higher than the "hump".
no condition is permanent

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:51 am

Bob Eng (don't remember what his handle is on here) has a Dahon. He says it fits good, and offered to fold it up one time and show me. Unfortunately, I was trying to be considerate of his time (he was getting ready to leave the meeting we were attending) and I told him it wasn't necessary. I wish I'd taken him up on the offer now.

Of course, being British (or, should I say now, formerly British), my preference is for the Brompton folding bikes. No idea if they'll fit or not (though it looks quite likely) and they are kind of pricey!

http://www.brompton.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 83,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bosch AGM 12v
Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

TonyWilliams

Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:58 pm

I have two of the Raleigh foldings bikes (full size 26 inch wheels) that were marketed by Schwinn a long time ago. They work well, and came with bags to keep the dirty parts off the interior.

I also have two "GoPeds", both gas burners, but they have electric power. Very compact and easy to ride. Two fit easily in the trunk "boot".

I'm not sure how British I am now, but I do carry the UK/EU passport with my USA one.

hgoudey
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 03 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 5132

Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:19 pm

The YikeBike is an impressively compact folding miniature electric penny farthing design out of New Zealand. ~$2000 for 6mi range (more with additional batteries), not the most economic range extender, but definitely a unique form of transportation.

For pure pedal power, Bike Friday makes a variety of high quality folding bikes with a high degree of customization. Made at modest production volumes in Oregon, so they aren't particularly cheap either $1000-2000.

KeiJidosha
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2011

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:18 pm

Have a Dahon Vitesse D7HG because it was the only bike I could find that would fit in the MINI E. 7 speed Shimano Nexus internal hub and chain protector keeps it clean. You could probably fit two in the LEAF. If you want electric, try the Vitesse D7 and a BioniX hub motor.
- 2009 BMW MINI E > 2013 Honda Fit EV > 2017 Chevy Bolt EV
- 2013 Ford C-Max Energi > 2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:43 pm

KeiJidosha wrote:Have a Dahon Vitesse D7HG because it was the only bike I could find that would fit in the MINI E. 7 speed Shimano Nexus internal hub and chain protector keeps it clean. You could probably fit two in the LEAF. If you want electric, try the Vitesse D7 and a BioniX hub motor.
You can't fit the official MINI folding bike in a MINI e?
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 83,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bosch AGM 12v
Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

Kataphn
Delivery Date: 13 Jun 2013

Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:11 pm

I put my folding Xootr Swift bike in the backseat of leaf all the time for rides. Works great. I needed a large folding bike because I am 6-3. This bike fits the bill. Very happy with this bike.
Delivered: May 3, 2011
VIN: 1467 made 3-7-11
SL, Blue, eTec trim, EV project Blink
[purchased] as of 11-1-13: 25,000: 11 bars
Also have a PiP

KeiJidosha
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2011

Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:43 pm

mwalsh wrote:
KeiJidosha wrote:Have a Dahon Vitesse D7HG because it was the only bike I could find that would fit in the MINI E. 7 speed Shimano Nexus internal hub and chain protector keeps it clean. You could probably fit two in the LEAF. If you want electric, try the Vitesse D7 and a BioniX hub motor.
You can't fit the official MINI folding bike in a MINI e?
MINI folding bike is actually a MINI branded custom Dahon MU P8. I wanted the enclosed hub and chain.

Either bike is a press fit in the back of the MINI E ;)
- 2009 BMW MINI E > 2013 Honda Fit EV > 2017 Chevy Bolt EV
- 2013 Ford C-Max Energi > 2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE

Return to “Off-Topic”