kikngas
Delivery Date: 15 Sep 2014
Leaf Number: 310377

Re: Verdict is in! Fracking on Trial in Texas

Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:07 pm

AndyH wrote: Not only is it not safe to drink at least 20% of the water but folks shouldn't shower with it either.
...and how many of the cattle and other livestock that are drinking this water are getting to market? I doubt the effects one would expect from a lifetime (the animal's) of drinking the water are within the realm of what is normally tested.

AndyH

Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:49 pm

kikngas wrote:
AndyH wrote: Not only is it not safe to drink at least 20% of the water but folks shouldn't shower with it either.
...and how many of the cattle and other livestock that are drinking this water are getting to market? I doubt the effects one would expect from a lifetime (the animal's) of drinking the water are within the realm of what is normally tested.
It appears many of the critters drinking the water die well before they get to market. That's the first problem.

I'd like to see a source that supports your suggestion that those animals that get to market are tested for consumption of fracking-related chemicals...especially since most are not listed due to trade secret rulings. Thanks in advance.
"The stupid become extinct."-Bill Mollison
2018 Outlander PHEV
2015 smart Electric Drive (lease ended Feb, 2018)
OpenEVSE Plus DIY

Oilpan4
Delivery Date: 10 May 2018
Leaf Number: 004270

Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:18 pm

Well biden and Harris promised not to ban fracking. They have my vote.
"THE ABOVE POST CONTAINS MISLEADING AND INACCURATE INFORMATION. PLEASE CONSIDER IT OPINION, NOT FACT". -someone who I offended and is unable to produce the facts in question.

PrairieLEAF
Delivery Date: 04 Feb 2019

Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:00 pm

I'm so fed up with fracking!

Fortunately the economy has been holding back new development, but we've been downwind of frac pads several times and had wastewater injection wells drilled nearby. There are several nearby gas flares, which are infuriating, and a big wellpad nearby has a diesel generator or compressor running almost all the time--no more quiet nights! We definitely can't afford the way the practice takes colossal amounts of water, contaminates it, and then removes it from the water cycle by injecting it into "confined" formations. The area keeps becoming more developed, and we already don't have enough water, even being so close to the rocky mountains. What are those downstream supposed to do?

We've had new fracked gas pipelines installed along two property lines. The construction processes were obnoxious, and we're holding our breath wondering when they'll start to leak (there are older pipelines there too).

There isn't enough money in the world to justify that &$*# !!
2016 LEAF S-30 w/QC "Lexie"

goldbrick
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806

Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:30 pm

I'm in Boulder and while we're not close to the wells, we get the off-gassing from them up against the mountains. There were quite a few days this summer I didn't want to ride my bike to work due to high ozone levels. Good thing I have a Leaf.

At some point, we'll either have to just 'leave it in the ground' or not. I'm not optimistic but we're running out of planets...

Oilpan4

Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:41 pm

Yes good thing we all drive leafs that rely on natural gas power plants...

Every tanker worth of Finished gasoline saved by us leaf drivers just gets exported...
"THE ABOVE POST CONTAINS MISLEADING AND INACCURATE INFORMATION. PLEASE CONSIDER IT OPINION, NOT FACT". -someone who I offended and is unable to produce the facts in question.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:02 pm

Stop trolling, Oilpan.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

PrairieLEAF
Delivery Date: 04 Feb 2019

Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:28 am

goldbrick wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:30 pm
I'm in Boulder and while we're not close to the wells, we get the off-gassing from them up against the mountains. There were quite a few days this summer I didn't want to ride my bike to work due to high ozone levels. Good thing I have a Leaf.

At some point, we'll either have to just 'leave it in the ground' or not. I'm not optimistic but we're running out of planets...
It's crazy how far into the mountains the ozone reaches. We used to think the air was clean in the mountains. :cry:

It was so upsetting when the one air monitoring project for petroleum development contamination in Boulder was shut down. The sponsor professor was let go from CU Boulder, and the Daily Camera reporter who covered the story was sent packing. The dirty fingers of the petroleum industry have far too much reach.
2016 LEAF S-30 w/QC "Lexie"

goldbrick
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806

Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:11 pm

I did hear something about that but I didn't follow it closely. Lately, I've been using this: https://www.bouldair.com/boulder.htm

Oilpan4

Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:39 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:02 pm
Stop trolling, Oilpan.
I didn't know stating facts was trolling.

Is there really any debate to which is worse, a coal fired power plant that operates at around 35% efficiency or a natural gas combine cycle plant that can extract over 60% of the energy from natural gas?
With out hydraulic fracturing the United States would still be getting over half of our electricity from coal.

Years ago I had read an article about how off gassed CO2 from Colorado oil and gas wells was going to be captured, piped to Texas and sequestered in old nonproducing west Texas oil wells. But the people of Colorado blocked the pipeline, because all pipelines are always bad. It was likely going to be the first commercially viable CO2 sequencing project in the world.
So enjoy that off gassed well waste you're choking on, you earned it.

If I was going to troll I would say I bought 1,600 pounds of coal from tractor supply and towed it home with my leaf.

Return to “Environmental Issues”