SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Re: Share Your Home Electrification/Efficiency Improvements

Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:23 am

It should not surprise anybody that houses heat up from the south facing sides but I've been paying attention this year to temperature changes in the house through the day and have seen between 50 - 80% of the 24 hour degree increase occur by noon. This just emphasizes the importance of focusing efforts on the 1/3 or the house with the most sun exposure.

I've planted trees on those sides that will shade my windows in the summer and let in radiation in the winter. Until they grow enough I am mitigating the sun in the summer by cooling down my stucco with water and using (fairly ineffective) window shades.

My other local observation is that during our hot months most of the evening and night time cool(er) air comes from the SW -- the wall with fixed windows. This spring I am going to install a window or two that can be opened to improve home ventilation.

My 3rd observation is that home ventilation using outside air is tricky. It is easy to inadvertently cause short circuits where the wind enters the home through one window and exits through a nearby window leaving part of the home relatively unventilated.

My last observation is that screens -- at least the ones I have -- markedly reduce airflow. I have this unproven notion that the drop in airflow is considerably more than the wire frontal area implies. I need to look into this more to find out if screen replacements can improve matters.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/18: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/18: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
09/20: 54.3 Ahr; 38k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

Marktm
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 09 Jan 2016
Leaf Number: 022737

Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:27 am

Dala wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:26 am

Thanks! Yeah I charge at 3.3kW, 230V*16A. I upgraded so that I got a 3-phase outlet, so that I can charge with 11kW (3*230V*16A) once I get the upgraded on-board-charger retrofit installed.
Is this on-board charger an OEM model from another (later model) Leaf or your own modification?
2012 Leaf SL; 46,000 miles. Battery replaced November 1st, 2016.

goldbrick
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806

Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:28 am

SageBrush wrote:
It should not surprise anybody that houses heat up from the south facing sides but I've been paying attention this year to temperature changes in the house through the day and have seen between 50 - 80% of the 24 hour degree increase occur by noon. This just emphasizes the importance of focusing efforts on the 1/3 or the house with the most sun exposure.
Our house faces SE and it's sort of the opposite. It's usually very comfortable around noon but gets hotter as the afternoon goes on. We have pretty substantial western exposure and the afternoon sun bakes that side of the house. There is also an exposed brick chimney on that side of the house which acts like a giant heat sink. I can't wait to remove that but it's going to be a big job since the first floor is built around and on top of it.
SageBrush wrote:
My 3rd observation is that home ventilation using outside air is tricky. It is easy to inadvertently cause short circuits where the wind enters the home through one window and exits through a nearby window leaving part of the home relatively unventilated.
I agree. I try to create a chimney effect by opening downstairs and upstairs windows. It takes some trial and error to find which windows are best and how much to open or close them. We also run our central air fan (with heat and AC off) with the top windows open and a basement window open. This pulls air in from the North side of the house in the basement and (hopefully) expels it out the upper windows. The houses in our neighborhood are mostly from the 70's and many are very similar and lots of our neighbors complain about the air return causing their AC to not be efficient. In this case I think that helps us. I make sure to close the basement door too to minimize any air return inside the house.
SageBrush wrote:
My last observation is that screens -- at least the ones I have -- markedly reduce airflow. I have this unproven notion that the drop in airflow is considerably more than the wire frontal area implies. I need to look into this more to find out if screen replacements can improve matters.
I'm sorry to read this since it's a point of contention between my wife and I. She would agree with you and for me, the mosquitoes in the house (yes our house is very open and airy in the summer.....) make any additional air flow not worth the price. She wins, of course, since domestic peace is also worth a lot to me but I'm always happy when the first frost hits and the bugs are gone.

Dala
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 01 Jan 2015
Leaf Number: 316851

Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:30 am

Marktm wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:27 am
Dala wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:26 am

Thanks! Yeah I charge at 3.3kW, 230V*16A. I upgraded so that I got a 3-phase outlet, so that I can charge with 11kW (3*230V*16A) once I get the upgraded on-board-charger retrofit installed.
Is this on-board charger an OEM model from another (later model) Leaf or your own modification?
It's a Muxsan kit (TC-charger). So custom made for the Leaf.

goldbrick
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806

Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:31 am

That's impressive. Props to muxsan, and you too of course!

Oilpan4
Delivery Date: 10 May 2018
Leaf Number: 004270

Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:37 pm

Ah so when you power the leaf with 3 phase 230v power it will be around 410v line to line?

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:56 pm

goldbrick wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:28 am
Our house faces SE and it's sort of the opposite. It's usually very comfortable around noon but gets hotter as the afternoon goes on.
I'm sorry to read this since it's a point of contention between my wife and I. She would agree with you and for me, the mosquitoes in the house (yes our house is very open and airy in the summer.....) make any additional air flow not worth the price. She wins, of course, since domestic peace is also worth a lot to me but I'm always happy when the first frost hits and the bugs are gone.
In the afternoon I leave just enough ventilation to avoid poor quality inside air -- it does not take much if you avoid cooking and showering during those those hours, perhaps 1/2 an ACH. That way the hot outside air stays outside.

Regarding screens, I'm going to look for screen material that has as large a gauge wire I can find and a slightly larger hole size. That will reduce mesh frontal area, and perhaps also reduce perpendicular airflow and turbulence (or so I imagine.)

I'm with you -- I HATE bugs, particularly those that bite, so I'm not going to trade airflow for bugs.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/18: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/18: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
09/20: 54.3 Ahr; 38k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

Dala
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 01 Jan 2015
Leaf Number: 316851

Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:47 am

Oilpan4 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:37 pm
Ah so when you power the leaf with 3 phase 230v power it will be around 410v line to line?
Yes, but depends on if your load is a Wye or Delta configuration!

Return to “Environmental Issues”