GRA

Re: Battery recycling

Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:24 pm

GCC:
Audi and Umicore start closed loop for cobalt and nickel; more than 90% of Co and Ni in e-tron batteries can be recovered
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/1 ... icore.html

Audi and Umicore have successfully completed the test phase of their strategic research cooperation. (Earlier post.) The result is that more than 90 of the cobalt and nickel in the high-voltage batteries of the Audi e-tron can be recovered.

The car manufacturer and the materials technology and recycling expert are therefore now entering the next phase. As of January, the partners will cooperate on a closed loop for cobalt and nickel. The recovered materials will be used in new battery cells.

For this closed-loop pilot project, Umicore will receive cell modules from the Audi e-tron model, which will initially be taken from development vehicles. From those cells, the materials technology expert will recover cobalt and nickel, and process them into precursor and cathode materials. From this, new battery cells containing recycled cobalt and nickel can be produced. . . .
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

Oilpan4
Delivery Date: 10 May 2018
Leaf Number: 004270

Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:26 am

Every pound of cobalt recycled or saved by better battery construction methods is a pound not mined by a slave in the congo or someone who might as well be a slave working under a communist regime.
"THE ABOVE POST CONTAINS MISLEADING AND INACCURATE INFORMATION. PLEASE CONSIDER IT OPINION, NOT FACT". -someone who I offended and is unable to produce the facts in question.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:55 am

Or a capitalist one.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:04 am

LeftieBiker wrote:
Or a capitalist one.
I thought that in the 20th century the world had come to the unanimous agreement that Communism was wrong, and did not work?

Now is this questioning capitalism?

lebikerboy
Delivery Date: 03 Jan 2019

Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:09 pm

Sure. Capitalism in the sense that children in Africa are being used as basically slave laborers in the extraction of Cobalt
used for gadgets that are not really needed but wanted...
2019 Leaf SV

"If a situation requires your undivided attention, it
will occur simultaneously with a compelling distraction."
:roll:

Oilpan4

Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:14 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Or a capitalist one.
If new Mexico can defy the ninmys and the fake environmentalists and open a cobalt mine I'm sure we will treat our slaves better than Congo or Castro does.
"THE ABOVE POST CONTAINS MISLEADING AND INACCURATE INFORMATION. PLEASE CONSIDER IT OPINION, NOT FACT". -someone who I offended and is unable to produce the facts in question.

GRA

Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:11 pm

GCC:
Li-Cycle sets up its first US-based Li-ion battery recycling center in NY state
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2020/0 ... cycle.html

Empire State Development (ESD) announced that Canada-based Li-Cycle Corporation will establish its first US-based Li-ion battery recycling facility in New York State. Li-Cycle Technology uses a combination of mechanical size reduction and hydrometallurgical resource recovery specifically designed for lithium-ion battery recycling.

The technology can do so with a recovery rate of 80 – 100% of all materials. The recycling process consists of two key stages: . . .

All materials that are recovered from lithium-ion batteries are either processed to the point of being reusable in battery production, thus closing the loop, or sent for further processing to other recyclers (i.e., steel and plastics) to ensure all materials generated are being returned to the economy.

The company will set up operations at Eastman Business Park (EBP) in Monroe County in an effort to tap into the robust lithium-ion battery supply chain in the United States and the lithium-ion battery ecosystem in Rochester. Li-Cycle selected EBP for this facility after determining it as the best location for the company to provide services to its growing client base to the South and Midwest.

The company has also committed to creating a minimum of 23 jobs in its first year of operation. Li-Cycle expects to be fully operational at the facility later this year.

ESD is assisting Li-Cycle with up to $450,000 through the Excelsior Jobs Program in exchange for job creation commitments. Monroe County and Greater Rochester Enterprise are also assisting with the project. The total project cost has been placed at up to $23.3 million over a three-year period. . . .
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

Oilpan4

Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:34 pm

That's good news as lithium is less common than aluminum, iron, titanium, which are normally all recycled but less common than elements like copper, lead and all your other common industrial metals used in alloying steel and battery construction which are generally also all recycled.
If we ever want to see more than 5 to 10% of cars on the road turn electric battery recycling for the lithium will need to go main stream.

palmermd
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011

Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:45 pm

If I were a betting man, I'd back JB Straubels battery recycling company.

http://redwoodmaterials.com/
Michael

Leaf from 31 March 2011 - Traded 18 April 2019 for Tesla Model 3 Unicorn
Driving electric since 1996

Leaf Bar Loss

GRA

Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:26 pm

GCC:
Fortum, BASF, and Nornickel sign cooperation agreement on Li-ion battery recycling
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2020/0 ... ortum.html

Fortum, BASF, and Nornickel have signed a letter of intent to plan a Li-ion battery recycling cluster in Harjavalta, Finland, serving the electric vehicle market. This would enable a successful “closed loop” cycle to re-use the critical metals present in used batteries.

In March 2019, Fortum announced that it had boosted the Li-ion battery recycling rate to more than 80%. . . .

BASF intends to use recycled materials from the processes developed by the companies within this cooperation in its planned battery materials precursor plant in Harjavalta, Finland. . . .

Return to “Environmental Issues”