Oilpan4
Delivery Date: 10 May 2018
Leaf Number: 004270

Mechanical concrete

Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:32 am

Gasoline, diesel, electric vehicles all have a few things in common, tires and driving on the road. Neither tires or road work are going away anytime soon.
What if they can help each other.
How to not just recycle, but reuse steel belted radials. Usually they get down cycled into pavement.
The problem with recycling radial tires has always been the steel belt. They have to just about be ground into powder to get the steel out and the whole process is easy danger of going up in a fireball. If you want to really recycle the steel.
The best solution is normally the simplest.
Cut 1 or both sidewalls off, lay them on the ground or in the hole, fill with crushed stone and build a road over top of them.

http://www.mechanicalconcrete.com/mecha ... minator-2/
"THE ABOVE POST CONTAINS MISLEADING AND INACCURATE INFORMATION. PLEASE CONSIDER IT OPINION, NOT FACT". -someone who I offended and is unable to produce the facts in question.

nlspace
Delivery Date: 06 Jun 2017

Re: Mechanical concrete

Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:11 pm

Good find, thanks for sharing it.

That's clever but not sure why he deserves a patent for it--using old tires is nothing new, it's just building roads with extra steps. years ago folks were building houses from old tires filled with dirt, hay, rocks or concrete.

i do like that machine tool that cut off the beads--now that should be patented.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:19 pm

I've caught some flack over the decades, for noting that old tires are fairly toxic, and as such aren't a great material for house building. As for roads, there is a process for making stronger asphalt from used tires, and that seems like a better idea.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Nubo
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014

Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:19 pm

Used a similar principle on a smaller scale when we put in our shed. Nice solid water-permeable base. Works a treat. Recycled plastic instead of tires, as the circles are only about 4 inches.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

Oilpan4
Delivery Date: 10 May 2018
Leaf Number: 004270

Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:12 pm

nlspace wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:11 pm
Good find, thanks for sharing it.

That's clever but not sure why he deserves a patent for it--using old tires is nothing new, it's just building roads with extra steps. years ago folks were building houses from old tires filled with dirt, hay, rocks or concrete.

i do like that machine tool that cut off the beads--now that should be patented.
Tire side wall cutters have been around for as long as anyone has tried to reuse/recycle tire bits. An automated one would be nicer.
The mostly manual opetated and externally powered ones look like a good way to lose a hand.
"THE ABOVE POST CONTAINS MISLEADING AND INACCURATE INFORMATION. PLEASE CONSIDER IT OPINION, NOT FACT". -someone who I offended and is unable to produce the facts in question.

Return to “Environmental Issues”