Triggerhappy007
Delivery Date: 01 Jan 2019

Re: Leaf Drive through ice covered roads...

Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:48 pm

knightmb wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:15 pm
It's an old standard definition dash cam. So it only records at 640x480. The window was having trouble staying completely clear due to the ice spray, so that further blurs things a little. Looking at the original video and the youtube version, the compression by youtube is certainly making look a lot more blurry, how odd. :(
Time for an upgrade. I've had good luck with Viofo. I currently have the A119 v3 and A119S. Great cameras for under $100.
2022 Leaf Plus SV White/Black

rogersleaf
Delivery Date: 22 Mar 2019
Leaf Number: 307726

Re: Leaf Drive through ice covered roads...

Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:05 am

frontrangeleaf wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:22 am
If you often drive in wintry - i.e. cold and slick - conditions, there's _no_ substitute for proper winter tires.

You've seen me post on this topic before, so I'll refrain from repeating myself too much.

All the traction control and whizbang tech wizardy is meaningless unless you actually have some traction to work with. Dedicated snows is the way to go. Starting, stopping _and_ turning become more like driving in the rain. Not like in the dry, but lightyears better than with so-called "all-seasons." If it doesn't carry the "3 peak mountain + snowflake" symbol, it's not actually severe winter driving rated. "M+S" is a marketing designation without a verifiable performance requirement under slick conditions (i.e. it's meaningless).

We're using Continental Winter SIs in a narrower 205/50/17 profile, mounted on the stock wheels (I have separate wider, lighter wheels for the all-seasons). They're rated to max 51 psi, so you can run them at higher pressure without concern. Basically their version of the Ice-X, but more affordable in the States.

The range hit is not too great, roughly what others report here running the Michelin Energy stock all-seasons in the winter (mid 3's mi/kwh). Peace of mind is priceless, as the saying goes.

My 13.5 cents.
A few days ago encountered my first truly sloppy commute into Cleveland, OH after installing Michelin X-ice (using 205/60/16 on 16" Gen1 LEAF alloy wheels at 40psi). The traction difference is amazing, even just running errands on 35F wet roads. Those tires just grip & go without the drama, and the LEAF is crazy-stable while braking on snow covered roads. I'm also not experiencing noticeable range loss vs the stock Michelin Energy 215/50/17. Most of the range loss would attribute to cold temps (~15F-20F) and windy conditions. On a good warm/dry day the range is comparable to the stock 17" wheels & tires.
2014 SV - Brilliant Silver - returned 1/2017 at end of lease.
2019 SL - White - w/Tech Package

Return to “Pictures, Videos”