Youtube video emerges of 501 miles in one day in a LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berlino

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZsZgGqZrSQ[/youtube]

Free DCQC network.

I think you can see eight or nine bars for the battery temperature @7:16, then ten near the end at 10:40.

Edit: Only eight or so temp bars at the end

It would have been more interesting to me if they had gotten a battery check diagnostic before and after the 500 miles. Unless that has changed, Nissan says that one QC per day is okay, but multiple times may be deleterious to the battery.

For what it's worth, there is an earlier documentary from the Netherlands, which netted 783 miles in a 24-hour period. To be fair, these guys were with Epyon, a QC station manufacturer later acquired by ABB. They were essentially driving a large freeway loop between quick charging stations in the Netherlands. I think anything north of 200 miles in a LEAF is an accomplishment in trip planning and logistics. Thanks for posting the video!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9NqSuk5gjQ[/youtube]
qcroadtrip

ERG4ALL said:
It would have been more interesting to me if they had gotten a battery check diagnostic before and after the 500 miles. Unless that has changed, Nissan says that one QC per day is okay, but multiple times may be deleterious to the battery.
There is a guy in Washington who has been doing 2 QC charges per day for some time, 80K miles and only lost one bar.

surfingslovak said:
I think anything north of 200 miles in a LEAF is an accomplishment in trip planning and logistics.

Next weekend, unless I lose my nerve at the last minute, I'll be driving my LEAF 260+ miles in one day (round trip) to Portland for the National Plug In Day event there. I've spent a ridiculous amount of time looking at plugshare.com trying to figure out the best way to do this. There are plenty of QC stations en route, but the newly added wrinkle of $5 per QC at Blink stations has me trying to figure out how to do it without using Blink.

Anyway I figure I'll have to do at least 3, if not 4 QCs in one day to pull this off. Thank goodness it's only a two year lease. :)

ObjetDart said:
Anyway I figure I'll have to do at least 3, if not 4 QCs in one day to pull this off. Thank goodness it's only a two year lease. :)

Since you're willing to potentially sacrifice the health of your battery, do you have means of measuring battery data for science? (Besides just the bars on the dash.)

It's not the QC's per se which would worry me, it's that doing two of them in quick succession may cause the battery temperature to soar into the 90's and stay there for hours after your trip. It's being overheated for so long which could be damaging.

surfingslovak said:
For what it's worth, there is an earlier documentary from the Netherlands, which netted 783 miles in a 24-hour period. To be fair, these guys were with Epyon, a QC station manufacturer later acquired by ABB.

Thanks for the link.

The English couple didn't seem to realize that they were damaging their battery and perhaps even close to having the LEAF turtle itself in self-defense.

However, the team from a QC Station manufacturer should have known better. I guess the video was for promotional purposes and they just didn't care. Too bad the temperature bars were never visible. Between the mileage and the quick-charging, they may have some brief down-time in the 24h period. I wonder if they took any measures to contain battery temps.

Berlino said:
It's not the QC's per se which would worry me, it's that doing two of them in quick succession may cause the battery temperature to soar into the 90's and stay there for hours after your trip. It's being overheated for so long which could be damaging.
More like soar into the 120 degree range. I've done 6 qc's in a day and the best way to comabat the heating is to do shorter stops between chargers and stay lower in the SOC range. Seen 8 temp bars three times and 7 a whole bunch of times regardless though. Once a day is probably a good rule of thumb but I've done 300 miles in a day a few times, and QC at least makes it possible to do so (just not exactly practical).

Edit: My 666th post is on cooking your battery how appropriate. :twisted:

Berlino said:
Since you're willing to potentially sacrifice the health of your battery, do you have means of measuring battery data for science? (Besides just the bars on the dash.)
If you're asking whether I have an aftermarket GID meter, no I do not, sorry.

I can't help but feel it's a bit ironic that I may have to sacrifice the health of my battery just to make it to an event celebrating electric vehicles.

Berlino said:
I'll be keeping an eye on the battery temp gauge for sure. The daytime temps up here in Oregon are starting to drop into the 50s and 60s so that might help too. Also there will be a multi-hour stop halfway through the trip (at the Plug In event itself) which hopefully will allow the battery to cool down a few degrees, and where I'm hoping I can do one recharge at L2 rather than L3.

Am I being naive? Is this all such a bad idea that I should scrap my plans to attend?

ObjetDart said:
Am I being naive? Is this all such a bad idea that I should scrap my plans to attend?
Nah, you'll be fine! Just have backup charging plans around your route (if you can) so you don't get stuck if one QC is down. Sounds like your doing a fair amount of planning for this. I did 200 something miles round trip to Crissy Field (from Folsom) for Plug in day last year. You might see 7 temp bars but I wouldn't fret. One trip isn't going to kill your capacity!

Good luck and happy travels! :)

ERG4ALL said:

That was in the 2011 Manual. In the next manual, it says multiple QCs in a day are okay. In fact, up to 6 in a day as long as the TBs aren't in the red.

Berlino said:
The English couple didn't seem to realize that they were damaging their battery and perhaps even close to having the LEAF turtle itself in self-defense.

First, they weren't damaging their battery pack. Secondly, they weren't close to having the car shut down (Turtle mode) because you could see the temp bars weren't close to the red. It looked liked two-three bars from the red at the end. It won't shut down unless the TBs go into the red, which would be 11 and 12 bars. And if they had a 2013 LEAF, it will resist heat/degradation better than the '11-'12s.

I did 386 miles in one day once. Between Seattle, WA and Priest Lake ID... 251 of it with level 2 charging only. It took 20 hours. Never got above 6 temp bars. On the way home, I didn't go as far in one day because I spent the night in Spokane. On the way home though, I skipped a couple charging spots and let the charge go lower and charged it up higher. I charged 3 hours level 2. 15 percent to 95 percent.. it made the temp bars go from 5 to 7. The next one was a quick charge in Leavenworth, WA. I went from 5 percent to 95 percent. That made the temp bars go from 7 to 9. As I was driving away it went from 9 to 10 and stayed there until I got home. I wish I hadn't done that. I promised myself if the temp bars go above 7 again I will stop or slow way down. If it goes above 8 I will stop for the night. Those batteries are just too expensive to abuse. I own my car. I think If I don't let the charge go down as low, and not charge it so high and drive slower I can keep the temp bars below 8. Even with quick charging.

johnrhansen said:
Those batteries are just too expensive to abuse. I own my car...
On that note, you probably never saw http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=283728#p283728" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. :D

I think there is a good chance that every day with multiple quick charges, when the battery spends significant time at elevated temperatures, could have a measurable contribution to overall degradation. The act of quick charging by itself is likely not as detrimental as previously thought, but the accumulated heat, which then stays in the pack for many hours afterwards, could have a measurable impact.

Hopefully, the Android battery app and individual reports from owners, such as Jeremy, will help figure this out. Based on the prior reports, the unidentified changes to the 2013 battery chemistry might help, but I would not go as far as calling them out as a significant factor in this context. If these changes had such a great impact, Nissan would not be developing a more heat-resistant battery. As always, it's important to see this in the proper perspective.

LEAFfan said:
Secondly, they weren't close to having the car shut down (Turtle mode) because you could see the temp bars weren't close to the red. It looked liked two-three bars from the red at the end.

I concede that they weren't near the red. I misread their dashboard. Still, at least I can take solace in never having seen eight temp bars in my LEAF (and seven only once, for five hours.) It's the one upside to not having a single operational L3 within 600 miles of you.

Back