Re: LEAF Fire in North Texas
Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:02 am
jpadc wrote:True that, but if not gasoline (or oil), its usually the heat off an ICE that is the cause. The idea that this fire is due to a 12 volt electrical short seems unlikely (i.e., impossible) to me. Unless the 12 volt is run through a a very carefully wound coil (like an old style cigarette lighter) or a dead short across the battery terminals with a very heavy gauge wire, nothing 12 volt underneath that dash could produce the heat necessary to start a fire. But if either the 12 volt system or the traction battery was shorting you would think it would a) make a lot of noise and b) dramatically effect the operation of the car such that you would not find yourself driving “normally” until you noticed smoke.mwalsh wrote: Car fires happen, and gasoline is not always the cause.
Since no one was injured (thankfully) I can understand the relative lack of interest in the cause, but I would think your insurance company would be looking to push the cost onto someone else so at least they would send someone out to have a closer look.
You clearly do not have much experience with 12v! It is thee most fire prone voltage out there! just takes a high resistance connection and heat starts to build up in the plastic and on it goes till it goes poof! in flames! been there don that on systems from my solar power system to my diesel truck to my 92 4*4 ( I had to do allot of repairs from PO hacks)